Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abooch1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I just spoke to a Verizon rep and she said they will be offering insurance on the iphone(reading from a document). She said 10.99 a month and it will cover water damage, accidental damage, and loss, however the deductible will be 169 dollars. discuss..

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
I just spoke to a Verizon rep and she said they will be offering insurance on the iphone(reading from a document). She said 10.99 a month and it will cover water damage, accidental damage, and loss, however the deductible will be 169 dollars. discuss..
Nothing to discuss. It is a total ripoff.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
$169 deductible. Wow, AT&T is even better than I thought. :eek:

Wait a second. Won't Apple replace it for $199??

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Lots of home / renters polices have optional "personal article policies" which cover cellphones. Except it's 20 a year, with zero deductible with many policies.

That's what I did way back via State Farm.

Yeah, Aushrion (if Verizon still uses them?) was a ripoff.

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
sounds like a rip off. I'd rather just bite the bullet and pay full retail in the off chance that something catastrophic happens to the iPhone. Plus, doesn't Apple have a service where you can pay $199 for a refurbished iPhone if you break your current one (even for off warranty reasons)?

abooch1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I just spoke to another rep.. he said same thing.. 10.99 a month and 169.99 for 16gb and 199.99 for the 32gb.. thats for lost, stolen, damaged...

So apple will give me a refurbed iphone for 199.99 no matter what happened to it?

unknown0

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
I don't think the Apple store will give you a new Iphone if it was stolen, so if the Verizon warranty covers that then that is very interesting.

abooch1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I don't think the Apple store will give you a new Iphone if it was stolen, so if the Verizon warranty covers that then that is very interesting.

Yea they said they cover theft or loss.. but is that worth the 10.99 a month?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Seriously - for that much $ per month plus the deductible - you actually could insure 40k worth of your stuff - not just a phone...

nanna24

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
Michigan
Sounds like a ripoff to me, too. Several years ago, I had to file a "lost" claim with Verizon. My insurance ran about $5 a month. My replacement cost was only $50.

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
I just spoke to another rep.. he said same thing.. 10.99 a month and 169.99 for 16gb and 199.99 for the 32gb.. thats for lost, stolen, damaged...

So apple will give me a refurbed iphone for 199.99 no matter what happened to it?

They will cover quite a bit such as shattered screens and even full water damage but they won't cover it if the phone is literally broken into pieces. And they don't cover stolen phones of course.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
actually sounds good to me. It covers lost or stolen and many ppl out there will love to steal your Iphone.

landscapeman

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
SW Florida
actually sounds good to me. It covers lost or stolen and many ppl out there will love to steal your Iphone.

That stolen Phone will be blacklisted, Unlike with a SIM. You could only use it with another CDMA carrier, i.e. MetroPCS and Cricket. They think because others charge large rates, they can to. Looks like a ton of third party insures will be getting a ton of bus.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
That stolen Phone will be blacklisted, Unlike with a SIM. You could only use it with another CDMA carrier, i.e. MetroPCS and Cricket. They think because others charge large rates, they can to. Looks like a ton of third party insures will be getting a ton of bus.

I don't know what this post has to do with my post. A thief doesn't care about what you said.

MedicSteve09

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Sounds like POO to me... ...Maybe I could put a cheese grader to my family jewels.

Nothing to discuss. It is a total ripoff.

Lots of home / renters polices have optional "personal article policies" which cover cellphones. Except it's 20 a year, with zero deductible with many policies.....

sounds like a rip off...

Sounds like a ripoff to me, too....

Big ripoff.
I wouldnt bother.

Think I agree with the majority of this thread....Horrible, Horrible, Horrible plan

10.99x24=263.76 ("Insurance" over the term of 2 year contract)

I've fell into the trap of Asurion (sp?) 'just to be safe' and am amazed at what I've paid over the the past 4 years. I will DEFINITELY be looking at something else...either tacking it on with my homeowners or an alternative (i.e. squaretrade)

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
I self insure my phones. It's a money maker. I save $10 a month in separate account, if I need it I'm covered, if I don't I'm really ahead compared to paying another company for insurance. It's a great deal.

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Not a bad idea. This is a Verizon ripoff. I have a Droid X and my insurance is much less on that device ($7.99/month w/$90 deductible). Why is the iphone so much more expensive when the replacement cost is the same....

You should also add the cost of your deductible to the account. Then if you lose your phone you would have already presaved enough to buy a new one, or be almost all of the way there.

I self insure my phones. It's a money maker. I save $10 a month in separate account, if I need it I'm covered, if I don't I'm really ahead compared to paying another company for insurance. It's a great deal.

landscapeman

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
SW Florida

Maybe I should start that.

5 lines at 5.99 per line = 29.95 x 12 = $359.40 a year.

Now that does not include a deductible and would not count for the iphone as well.

sp86

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
What a damm ripoff. I rather not by insurance and just get it replaced at apple for $199

Or get something that is cheaper like SquareTrade. Or just make it wear a titanium case.

$199 deductible *shakes head* :eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is a ******** insurance policy. You're better off taking the advice of landscapeman and take a cheese grater to your family jewels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.