Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
i deleted every thing from my phone by doing ERASE ALL , not i am stuck on apple logo , by reading different threads i know i deleted my ios.

not i was on 4.0.2 with unlockable baseband , is there any way i can load 4.2.1on my phone without upgrading baseband?

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
You have to dfu restore to get out of that erase mode. Hope you have SHSHs on file for anything lower than 4.2.1. Restore to 4.1 or lower then come back up to 4.2.1 to save that baseband.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Using blobs to preserve bb only works for iphone4. Otherwise, you have to use custom firmware.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
That's the part he's asking for directions for. How to update to 4.2.1 without updating the baseband. Unfortunately OP, I don't have an answer for you.

Go to his site (his signature) for detailed instructions on how to do it - hackthatphone

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Appreciate that, but my newer jailbreak/unlock tutorials are members only, which is why I never post and link to those on forums. The great majority of my site is accessible to all however.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010

I am not sure what SHSHs i have saved .. i installed cydia almost a month back , so i believe i might have 4.2.1 shsh saved altleast...but i didn't notice what SHSHs it showed me as saved so this is just a guess .... is it necessary for me to restore to 4.1 before jb 4.2.1 in order to have unlock baseband?

or should i wait for pwnage tool to release where they have the option of not upgrading the basband or it doesn't matter in my case ? as i have already deleted the ios and have to get in 4.1 or lower before any thing ?

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
First off, you should probably start following notcom on Twitter, as he's the creator of Tiny Umbrella: http://twitter.com/#!/notcom

He mentioned in a tweet earlier that he updated the instructions on his website on how to upgrade an iPhone 4 while preserving BB: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

on his instructions

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/p/prevent-iphone4-baseband-update.html

4. Plug in your device and save SHSH (make sure 4.2.1 SHSH were saved, if not don't bother continuing)

i m in DFU mode and i dont think i can save SHSH while its stuck in DFU due to 'erase all' i did on my phone

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
on his instructions

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/p/prevent-iphone4-baseband-update.html

4. Plug in your device and save SHSH (make sure 4.2.1 SHSH were saved, if not don't bother continuing)

i m in DFU mode and i dont think i can save SHSH while its stuck in DFU due to 'erase all' i did on my phone

Do you know your ECID or have you used TinyUmbrella before? You can either create a manual device with your ECID or select you device under Recent Devices and save all SHSH's without having to connect your phone.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
when i did ERASE ALL i was on 4.0.2 and now if i try restoring (with custom file) to get on 4.2.1 i get 1601 error ? cant i go to 4.2.1 ? as i dont have any iOS on my phone .. i am confused

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
after i did earse all and stuck on apple logo , Umbrella is not detecting the type of device and its firmware, basically its not showing any device connected.

has any one else had any luck with reading SHSH after erase all ?

lapocompris

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
What is the current (latest) base-band associed with i OS 4.2.1?
My current base-band under iOS 4.1 is 02.10.04, do I need to preserve it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.