Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Are there any places that will give instant cash for my iphone? Other then pawn shops or craiglist or ebay.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
i want to change over to verizon and I live in the united states.

Well you sure sucked then fun out of that then.

Don't you have recycling websites in US? They are very popular here and can give good prices if you shop around.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Are there any places that will give instant cash for my iphone? Other then pawn shops or craiglist or ebay.

Your answer is in your question - craigslist by far, just post an aggressive price, and you'll sell it same day.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
Your answer is in your question - craigslist by far, just post an aggressive price, and you'll sell it same day.

Watch out for counterfeit bills. I sold my 3 week old 32gig iPhone 4 for $275, instead of $475, two days ago, when I realized a couple of the bills they gave me were fake.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Watch out for counterfeit bills. I sold my 3 week old 32gig iPhone 4 for $275, instead of $475, two days ago, when I realized a couple of the bills they gave me were fake.

Crazy, I've been CL'g for a few years in NY myself, and while I always have a marker to check bills, I haven't run across any counterfeits so far. I've probably sold $15k worth via CL, too.

May 8, 2008

Thats why I never accept anything bigger than a $20.

Anything bigger, and I tell them we'd have to meet at their bank so they can withdraw the funds in front of me.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010

Anything bigger, and I tell them we'd have to meet at their bank so they can withdraw the funds in front of me.

I actually prefer the new $50s or $100s, as the multi-colored ones are very, very hard to fake. Old small faces fake $20s and $100s are probably a dime a dozen.

ajpslp

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
looked at a few different companies to sell my old crappy android device . Sellyouroldcellphones.com, gazelle (mentioned above) greenearth.com (amazon gift certificate) and a few others. All seem to have F rating on Better Business and ALL operate out of Texas. Anyone use these and never get their money? Just dont want to sent phone and and never get my money. Thoughts?

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Wouldn't you be able to get a higher price on eBay than on Craigslist? It's also seems a lot safer.

[But then again... I've never used Craigslist but just heard about it]

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Wouldn't you be able to get a higher price on eBay than on Craigslist? It's also seems a lot safer.

[But then again... I've never used Craigslist but just heard about it]

I tried to sell on Craigslist once, and I got contacted by two different people who said something like "I'd like to buy this item, I really need it, God bless you". It was a very high-quality CRT monitor, and the people buying sounded like they didn't even know what they were buying. I ended up ignoring those emails because they seemed very fake, and since when were CRTs so commonly bought in 2011?

I recommend eBay. Find an iPhone like yours and say "sell one like this". Make the listing very generic, and use a stock photo. Start the auction at $0.01. People get hooked on that and bid it up. My dad and I have done this a few times before, and we always end up selling it for much more than the rest. We sold my dad's 2nd gen iPod touch for $160 in 2012.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I highly suggest for maximum profit you sell it to a person on eBay or similar and not a company like gazzle.

Last edited:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

I always meet a bank so they can withdraw the funds in front of me as well. This method hasn't failed me yet.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
they shaved something like $70 off my offer once they got the phone because they claimed there were a few specks of dust under the screen

convenient, but not fairly priced.

I've seen many more instances of them raising the price they paid after receiving it than lowering it. I'd say they are fair in general.

Gazelle or craigslist. I avoid ebay like the plague, especially for selling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.