Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imprezu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Loxley, AL
I just bought a Vizio 26 inch M261VP tv to use as a monitor for my Mac Mini unibody. Currently I use the analog output to my 5.1 Logitech THX Speakers and that works fine. The TV is connected to the Mac via HDMI. The TV has built in Widgets that stream multiple apps such as pandora, netflix, etc. I also have an antenna to pick up ATSC Hi Def programming. My question is can I pull audio from the HDMI and output it thru my analog speakers or is that not possible? I can get the audio from the mac to the TV speakers but not the computer speakers. I tried using the my headphone jack from the TV to my analog speakers but the sound sounds like an AM station. I tried changing every audio setting from the TV/MAC with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
As far as I know, there is no way to send the audio from your TV to the Mac via HDMI. It's technically possible with HDMI 1.4, but I believe the Mini is using an earlier version of the standard. Even if it wasn't, there's no apparent support for the audio return feature. Not sure about your TV.

I was going to suggest trying to route the analog stereo out to your audio in on the Mac, but your TV doesn't appear to have an analog stereo out (except via the headphone jack). It does appear to have digital out, which is better. Get a Toslink (for your TV) to mini Toslink (for your Mini) cable. Monoprice has these in various lengths and there are other vendors online. You probably won't find these in most brick-and-mortar stores.

Once you have the cable you'll need a free program from Rogue Amoeba called LineIn. This will play any audio coming into the Mac's audio in.

I run a similar setup. The biggest potential stumbling block will be which audio streams from which inputs your TV sends over its optical out. In my experience there's wide variation in how TV manufacturers handle this. For example, in my setup, my TV will route everything over optical out except for HD signals being sent through my cable system. Your TV manual may tell you what it outputs. If not, the price for the experiment is rather low (~$4 for the cable), so give it a shot. Let us know how it works.

Last edited:

imprezu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Loxley, AL
As far as I know, there is no way to send the audio from your TV to the Mac via HDMI. It's technically possible with HDMI 1.4, but I believe the Mini is using an earlier version of the standard. Even if it wasn't, there's no apparent support for the audio return feature. Not sure about your TV.

I was going to suggest trying to route the analog stereo out to your audio in on the Mac, but your TV doesn't appear to have a analog stereo out (except via the headphone jack). It does appear to have digital out, which is better. Get a Toslink (for your TV) to mini Toslink (for your Mini) cable. Monoprice has these in various lengths and there are other vendors online. You probably won't find these in most brick-and-mortar stores.

Once you have the cable you'll need a free program from Rogue Amoeba called LineIn. This will play any audio coming into the Mac's audio in.

I run a similar setup. The biggest potential stumbling block will be which audio streams from which inputs your TV sends over its optical out. In my experience there's wide variation in how TV manufacturers handle this. For example, in my setup, my TV will route everything over optical out except for HD signals being sent through my cable system. Your TV manual may tell you what it outputs. If not, the price for the experiment is rather low (~$4 for the cable), so give it a shot. Let us know how it works.

Lucky for me I already had a couple of these cables laying around from Monoprice that I never used. I was able to get the sound coming out thanks to your suggestion. Is there a way I can get this program to start everytime I have to reboot my Mac or os that impossible. Again thanks for the response!

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
It's easy to get LineIn to open at startup. Just right click on its icon in the dock, go to options, and select open at login. Glad this worked for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.