Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:07 PM   #26
smithrh
macrumors 68020
 
smithrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
I'm not sure if Apple would ever do this, but I'd expect they would just delay a April launch till the fall, as opposed to doing an April and a fall launch of to revisions in one year.
Ahhh... but see, the next iPad (iPad 2? iPad S?) is already being manufactured. No way would those be warehoused until September.

So you have a fairly imminent launch coming as I type this, and one that doesn't have a lot of people excited, if the leaks are accurate. I just can't see Apple waiting 18 some months to release another product.

Apple fans or not, that's not going to work.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:10 PM   #27
LoganT
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
You're nuts.

When the iPod Mini was one of the best selling electonic devices, they stopped making it.

When they didn't put a floppy disk in the iMac, everyone said they were crazy.

They're currently the most aggressive company I know of in their quest to eliminate optical drives.

That's "fearing change?"
And don't forget Flash.

John Gruber's idea that an iPad 3 or iPad 2 pro being released in September is quite interesting. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense though. The iPad right now just seems like an in-between device. You use the iPad for web browsing and whatever people do on their iPads. But the Mac computers are for real work and whatever people do on Macs.

It's clear to me that iOS is the future for Apple, I mean imagine an iPad in just five years from now? It will probably run faster than any current computer right now. The gist of what I'm saying is, Apple sells different models of Macs with different specs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same for the iPad.
LoganT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:12 PM   #28
Piggie
macrumors 603
 
Piggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Having a 1 year fixed upgrade cycle is a pain, and a negative when it comes to the best hardware to build with.

Say Nvidea produces a great new chip you would love to do, and it's going to be ready in November, but your cut off point for your following hardware development is in October, then you won't be able to to with it, and your April launch model will not have the chip that was ready in November, you will then have to wait another whole year, whilst others (Android) with many manufacturers will bring out items with the new Nvidea chip that you had to turn down, perhaps just shortly after your launch, making your product looks bit poor perhaps.

You really want to launch a new item when the hardware comes together and is available, not have to wait up to a whole year and your next refresh.

I realise one company cannot launch 20 versions in one year, however, perhaps sometimes it would be worth delaying a launch, perhaps just a few weeks to catch the next big thing.

Not always, but sometimes.
__________________
Amiga 500, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox360 Slim 250GB, PS3, Nokia 6210, 3 Home Made PC's, Adidas Watch, Nikon + Fuji Cameras, 32GB iPad, Furry Pigs (mainly pink!)
Piggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:22 PM   #29
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816
 
WiiDSmoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hermitage, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
You're nuts.

When the iPod Mini was one of the best selling electonic devices, they stopped making it.

When they didn't put a floppy disk in the iMac, everyone said they were crazy.

They're currently the most aggressive company I know of in their quest to eliminate optical drives.

That's "fearing change?"
They only want to get rid of physical media because of their iTunes store. Which is exactly why there isn't Blu-Ray on the Mac. And Blu-Ray as a format [not in convience of a DD] is many times better than anything iTunes offers.
WiiDSmoker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:24 PM   #30
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Having a 1 year fixed upgrade cycle is a pain, and a negative when it comes to the best hardware to build with.

Say Nvidea produces a great new chip you would love to do, and it's going to be ready in November, but your cut off point for your following hardware development is in October, then you won't be able to to with it, and your April launch model will not have the chip that was ready in November, you will then have to wait another whole year, whilst others (Android) with many manufacturers will bring out items with the new Nvidea chip that you had to turn down, perhaps just shortly after your launch, making your product looks bit poor perhaps.

You really want to launch a new item when the hardware comes together and is available, not have to wait up to a whole year and your next refresh.

I realise one company cannot launch 20 versions in one year, however, perhaps sometimes it would be worth delaying a launch, perhaps just a few weeks to catch the next big thing.

Not always, but sometimes.
Unfortunately, every company works on its own timetable (and sometimes that timetable is driven by some other subcontractor). So "another 3 weeks for a new video chip" or "just 4 more weeks for an updated display" doesn't work when you have to lock in pricing and manufacturing commitments. This isn't some guy putting together Heathkit iPads in the back room. The device has to be prototyped and working months before release and it takes a while to set up manufacturing as well. You have to pick your dates well in advance and work out distribution issues as well. If a new innovation comes out a day after you start shipping, you suck it up and incorporate it into the next model.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:47 PM   #31
nickpro
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area
tech crunch just confirmed his "guess" - 2011 is looking to be an interesting year for apple!!
nickpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 07:57 PM   #32
Roads8
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I really like the idea, but I personally don't think that they will make it in one big jump. I feel like it is more likely that they will release new iPads a month or 2 later every year to eventually (over 2-3 years) line up with the iPods. This way they can maintain their "refresh every year" while pushing into a more suitable timeframe. It is not like the iPad is going away anytime soon...
Roads8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:02 PM   #33
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
Check the news story now posted
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:35 PM   #34
smithrh
macrumors 68020
 
smithrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
Are the threads going to be merged?

I see one user's post in both threads, perhaps he just re-posted it though...
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:52 PM   #35
zenio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
1) You're nuts.

2) When the iPod Mini was one of the best selling electonic devices, they stopped making it.

3) When they didn't put a floppy disk in the iMac, everyone said they were crazy.

4) They're currently the most aggressive company I know of in their quest to eliminate optical drives.

5) That's "fearing change?"
1) Why are you so emotional & insecure you start an attack?

2) This was a mistake

3) Only old school fanboys

4) Nothing but talk.

5) Yes it is.
zenio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:55 PM   #36
dev10051981
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Question

iPad 3? Apple television? iTunes in the cloud? A touchscreen iMac?

Quote:
A few days ago, we heard from a very good source that Apple was assembling the pieces for a “big fall surprise”. While intriguing, that could obviously mean anything. But the “surprise” part clearly means it’s something beyond the regular iPod/iTunes (and perhaps MacBook Air) refreshes that Apple does in the fall. Still, that leaves a lot of room for guesses. An actual Apple television? iTunes in the cloud? A touchscreen iMac? Who knows?

Well, until today. We’ve now heard that this “fall surprise” is related to this would-be iPad 3. We don’t have any more concrete information beyond that. But, as of right now, the plan is apparently to release one iteration of the iPad in the next few weeks. And then blow the doors open with another new version in the fall.TechCrunch
Would you be upset if you bought an iPad 2 in spring and Apple fielded an iPad 3 in fall, or do you just want new Apple tech as fast as possible?
dev10051981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 09:19 PM   #37
Julien
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
My theory is the so called September iPad 3 will be an iPad 2 Pro with retina and $999 base.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 09:30 PM   #38
hcho3
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
I see no problem with this. It makes sense that apple wants to move the cycle to fall. Maybe this is why iPad 2 is only getting few upgrades.

To those of you complain... why? There are bunch of android phones that come out every months from same manufacturer. Will it be different with tablets? No. They are going to release them every months.

This is good. Release iPad 3 this September/October. Apple will be done with Mac OS lion by then. Time for iPods and iPads. Bring it on.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:39 AM   #39
EazyWeazy3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
So many options to choose from!
EazyWeazy3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:02 AM   #40
thesmoth
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
My theory is the so called September iPad 3 will be an iPad 2 Pro with retina and $999 base.
Great, giant iPad with a retina display for a grand, sign me up (rolls eyes).

I want an iPad and admit that a big ipod touch isn't bad, and actually in a lot of ways is really exciting (obviously because it's based on a limitless number of apps from developers). But lets not forget that it IS a big ipod touch, and until apple adds a LOT more functionality (full file system, usb, etc...) there is no way in hell they can sell a retina display equipped one for $1000. Maybe add an extra $100 on the price of each model and have it as an option (the actually cost to apple for the screen is probably like 10-30$ extra, so they are making huge profits just by adding an option everyone wants anyways).
thesmoth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:52 AM   #41
gto55
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tel Aviv
Talking

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/ipad-3/
gto55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:49 AM   #42
Aetles
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
I think it is total BS and said with tongue in cheek
Still think it was said with tongue in cheek?
Aetles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:23 AM   #43
THFourteen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Apple did something similar with the iphone. Looking at the release schedule on the buyers guide you can see thatt the 1year release schedule was only after the first two iterations of the phone.

6/2010
6/2009
7/2008
2/2008
9/2007
THFourteen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:45 AM   #44
Carniphage
macrumors 68000
 
Carniphage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheffield, England
There's some mileage in this theory.

1) An annual April release is a problem for Apple. Because a savvy public knows that a new model is coming during the previous holiday period. This timing discourages Christmas buyers.

2) The iOS annual upgrade is in sync with the iPhone release. Which means the April iPad will is launched running an outdated version of the previous year's software. Not smart.

3) The iPod touch release date is diminishing in significance.

By pushing the iPad annual release back to the iPod touch release. Apple goes to just two iDevice releases a year. And gets time to tune the iPhone and iPad operating software. And when the holidays come round, the iPad will be a NEW device, and not an old one.

I think Gruber's on to something.

C.
Carniphage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:10 AM   #45
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
That makes zero business sense.

Why take the time and cost to update the iPad, and the start costs to redesign the manufacturing equipment only to have a limited run of iPads, i.e., being replaced with the iPad3.

If you look at apple's history and how they do things, they were never the type of company to push our update after update. In fact the opposite is usually the complaint against them.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:15 AM   #46
Carniphage
macrumors 68000
 
Carniphage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheffield, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
That makes zero business sense.

Why take the time and cost to update the iPad, and the start costs to redesign the manufacturing equipment only to have a limited run of iPads, i.e., being replaced with the iPad3.

If you look at apple's history and how they do things, they were never the type of company to push our update after update. In fact the opposite is usually the complaint against them.
The rescheduling of the annual iPad release from April to September makes great business sense.

Releasing two iPads versions in the same year is more of a problem.

C.
Carniphage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:16 AM   #47
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post
There's some mileage in this theory.

1) An annual April release is a problem for Apple. Because a savvy public knows that a new model is coming during the previous holiday period. This timing discourages Christmas buyers.

2) The iOS annual upgrade is in sync with the iPhone release. Which means the April iPad will is launched running an outdated version of the previous year's software. Not smart.

3) The iPod touch release date is diminishing in significance.

By pushing the iPad annual release back to the iPod touch release. Apple goes to just two iDevice releases a year. And gets time to tune the iPhone and iPad operating software. And when the holidays come round, the iPad will be a NEW device, and not an old one.

I think Gruber's on to something.

C.
This makes a lot sense.

What doesn't make so much sense is releasing the iPad 2 in a few weeks time and then releasing the iPad 3 in September.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:36 AM   #48
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetles View Post
Still think it was said with tongue in cheek?
We shall see won't we

We have seen many rumors like this take off with wings of their own, only to be shown to be utter rubbish later

Is it impossible? No
Is it at all likely? I think no to that as well
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:03 AM   #49
DukeOfHunslet
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hunslet, England
I think Mr Gruber is trying to poop all over Apple's iPad 2 launch by suggesting that people should not buy it and wait for iPad 3.

...thereby screwing up Apples sales cycle...
DukeOfHunslet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:06 AM   #50
Carniphage
macrumors 68000
 
Carniphage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheffield, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfHunslet View Post
I think Mr Gruber is trying to poop all over Apple's iPad 2 launch by suggesting that people should not buy it and wait for iPad 3.

...thereby screwing up Apples sales cycle...
I really don't think Gruber is trying to harm Apple.

C.
Carniphage is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
ipad 2, ipad 3

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: iPad 3 resell value in a year (after iPad 6 release) Italianblend iPad 43 Nov 8, 2013 05:16 PM
What is the typical iPhone release cycle? 3Q-4Q once a year? Spetsnazos iPhone 2 Jun 24, 2013 02:52 PM
ATV show movie release year? Paul Chown Apple TV and Home Theater 8 Mar 8, 2013 06:41 PM
Will there be another mac mini release this year? p.helwig Mac mini 20 Sep 21, 2012 10:13 PM
Does your Apple TV show the release year? J@ffa Apple TV and Home Theater 21 Aug 9, 2012 10:51 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC