Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hungry ghost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Hi, just wondered what other PowerPC users feel about the fact that upgrades to the OS can't go higher than 10.5.

Have just been reading about OS Lion's upcoming release, and it frustrates me that sooner or later I will have perfectly functioning hardware forced into retirement due to the inevitable need to keep up with new versions of OS.

Just interested if others accept this as inevitable progress, or, like me, wonder whether Apple's decision to withdraw support for the PowerPC is more marketing based than technology driven.

Thanks!

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think the marketing side of things is long gone by now. These decisions are made from a technical stand point. Floppy disks still work, but they are outdated technology. Phasing out the old pushes the whole industry forward, unfortunately.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I think they'll run ubuntu if its being left behind by the OS you're worried about.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i dont feel abandoned , i still run Tiger on my PPC Mac's and OS9 !!!, and tiger runs and even OS9 still runs fantastic so i dont see a point in upgrading to leopard , all apps that did run 4 years ago under tiger still run as good as then and apps that did run under OS9 10 years ago still run , i have no need for bloated GUI's in apps , i need apps to just work, i dont care about looks in apps i dont need features i will never use , a reason why i still use a old mobile from the year 1997 as all i need it for are phone calls and maybe send a message , honestly i never even have used spotlight , i know where every file is exact because i did save it there , i disabled dashboard on all my Mac's as i dont use it so no need for it to hog ram ,
and even i have a intel iMac which runs snow leopard , but its on a separate partition as i still run Tiger 90%of times on it because of apple talk , a reason why i had choosen a early intel iMac and not a later one , i might even sell it once i fully upgraded my PowerMac G5 2.3 dual core (at the moment its taken apart to get anodized in snow white )and i will run tiger on it and classic , there are people out there who care more then that company which had the slogan "think different" like the bunch who created TenFourFox and i totally agree with the words on their website http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/Apple's been giving us Power Mac users the proverbial middle digit since 2006. Remember: think different.

Last edited:

hungry ghost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
@ MacHamster - I'm in a similar boat to you; still running Tiger on a Dual 1.8 G5 and very satisfied. I may upgrade to Leopard very soon, if for no other reason than it's there, and I can!

But, Apple is clearly a very different company now compared to when I first entered the mac world 11 years ago. (Of course, much has changed in the industry.) But yeh, I agree that it does sometimes feel like there is much less encouragement to upgrade and repair older models than perhaps could be the case. A couple of recent unsatisfactory incidents with Apple tech support regarding repairs are probably colouring my view on this topic.

I need to be running Adobe CS for work and I'll get by a while longer without needing CS5. Sooner or later it will be necessary though, which will require an Intel mac.

@ sim667 - Never thought of running Ubuntu; tbh, if the day ever comes when a hackintosh version of OS can be easily installed on PC architecture by your average joe (i.e. me), I would switch in a jiffy. I'm too fond of mac OS to switch, but I really don't care much what the box under my desk looks like.

@ Xenc - floppy discs are outdated technology? No one told me....... ;-)

Thanks for the replies.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Panther and Tiger are great OSes. Things move on, that's progress. And especially with Apple. They've never wanted to be tied down with backward compatibility.

If you need to stay up-to-date, older machines are great for servers, backup machines, iTunes jukeboxes or to pass down to friends/family or to donate to non-profit org.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Not really. I did at first when they announced Snow Leopard would be the last OS for PPC. But since they've slowed OS development, I don't feel cheated at all. Leopard will most likely still be supported when Lion comes out. I will have gotten about 6 years out of my dual core G5 by the time they drop support. I'm fine with that.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
i still have and love my few (count 2) PowerMacs and G4 Imac. And even though i am waiting for a few parts to soop up the Imac, the Powermacs still do a lot of real work.

They are also great for when mates/friends stay over and i dont want to let them near my studio to "check thier email"

They are robust and extremely well built. and will run Leopard for years to come, so yeah i am not too fussed with snow leopard/lion... its all good.. use what you want, dont use what you dont want.

cheers and smile, be happy! :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The Intel switch made it inevitable that the PPC Macs would be made obsolete sooner than would have otherwise been the case. I don't think Apple's abandoned the PowerPC, but their future lies with other hardware, so consumers are forced to accept that the PowerPC architecture on the Mac is rapidly on it's way out.

Last edited:

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Despite the majority of my machines being PPC based, I'm hoping to 'replace' them all with Intel Macs in a year or two anyway, so whatever. :)

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
There is plenty of life in powerpcs.Panther is a good OS,although "for real" life I think is impraticable,tiger is ok,and leopard is more than enough.
I even did a F.A.Q for powerpc owners to help them making their powerpcs "less abandoned" :)
I am happy with mine (with tiger) although I might try some linux distros..

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
But, Apple is clearly a very different company now compared to when I first entered the mac world 11 years ago.

Really? Do you not remember the time Apple promised all PowerPC's would run OS X, and then changed it up to G3's and higher? :)

This is hardly the first time Apple has left behind hardware. Heck, they gave the G5 a better lifespan than they did stuff like the Power Mac 9600.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
Ill still use and enjoy my ppc machines as long as they will boot up and work, i mostly use them for itunes, web surfing and word processing and don't really see the need for a major upgrade in hardware as long as they still work. i have a g3 imac 500/256, a 1st gen tibook 400/512 and a g4 ibook 1.2/512 so i am quite happy with them the imac and tibook run tiger just fine and my newest ibook g4 is running leopard just fine with 512 of ram but will probably up that to 1.25gb sooner than later just because i can. i have a 2010 mac mini available to use which i do at times but i really dont see much difference between snow leopard and leopard.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
You bunch of whiners! How do you think I felt when Apple abandoned my Quadra 700 by releasing OS 8.5? "RISC is the future! 68K and x86 is a dead end! Blah blah blah!"

What goes around, comes around, bitches!

:p:p:p

Last edited:

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
dmr727
You bunch of whiners! How do you think I felt when Apple abandoned my Quadra 700 by releasing OS 8.5? "RISC is the future! 68K and x86 is a dead end! Blah blah blah!"
What goes around, comes around, bitches!
I'm happy with my G3/1.1GHz, it does everything I want, if I need something more robust, I use my son's 13" MacBook Pro.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I'm typing this in my maxed out G4 tiBook runnning Leopard. I love my G4's and don't plan to replace them till their dead or I sell them eventually from lack of space. :p

venomz

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010
There is plenty of life in powerpcs.Panther is a good OS,although "for real" life I think is impraticable,tiger is ok,and leopard is more than enough.
I even did a F.A.Q for powerpc owners to help them making their powerpcs "less abandoned" :)
I am happy with mine (with tiger) although I might try some linux distros..

I've got to disagree about Tiger being okay to run.

All PPC users should be on Leopard, it is a fundamentally bad idea to continue using an OS once security support has ended.

Almost all existing mac malware exploits security vulnerabilities in Java (universal, can run on any mac) and Tiger users are stuck using an old, extremely vulnerable version.

Last edited:

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I'm more bothered about FCS3 not working on my Dual G5. It sucks when I have to have an assistant work on a project I was cutting on my MP and I have to export an XML for them to relink. Or the fact I can't have them work in a CS5 project on it as well. It is ******, but it's something we need to deal with and something I accept. It unfortunately hurts us little guys who can't afford 3 brand new stations as my 2 old G5s work just fine for assembly edits and light GFX work. :mad:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the major disappointment with the switch to intel was not actually the use of intel processors , the major disappointment came a bit later
since the first OSX apple was working on getting OSX run on pc's
and OSX tiger does run on both PPC and intel without any problem , leopard as much as i hate it did the same it run on PPC and intel , only snow leopard was made only to run on intel and thats where i ask WHY ? it was basically a kick in the lower regions for people who had bought a POWERMAC G5 just prior the switch in 2006 , thats when my PowerMac g5 dual core 2.3 was shipped 8/2006 to its original owner (company)who did pay a lot of money for it and then they could upgrade from tiger to leopard and then just when apple care ended 8/2009
they got told sorry but snow leopard or any newer OS we will make will not run on that old thing ..that was the date when this PowerMac with 15 others was stored in the warehouse to gather dust ,as i traced the company who originally owned it which went bankrupt shortly after they had to buy new MacPros ,because the software they had been using and they did need to upgrade to the newest version was made for snow leopard only 14 brothers of my PowerMac got sold during the insolvency , but mine because he had some scratches was left behind , and the company who bought the warehouse had no use for it either (windows fans) left it where it was until i delivered a parcel there and saw that poor thing in the corner full of dust (actually more inside then outside )

so my PowerMac is really angry with apple , because he was working perfectly only had some scratches , but apple said he is to old to work and thats why he was dumped in a dusty cold warehouse :mad:

adreamer12

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
I've got to disagree about Tiger being okay to run.

All PPC users should be on Leopard, it is a fundamentally bad idea to continue using an OS once security support has ended.

Almost all existing mac malware exploits security vulnerabilities in Java (universal, can run on any mac) and Tiger users are stuck using an old, extremely vulnerable version.

Is there any place(other than ebay) from where I can buy Leopard now?

Batman Sucks

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I don't feel abandoned in the least.

The transition to the Intel CPUs was made 5 years ago now, so about a billion years ago in TechYears. Anyone using a machine for serious work/production likely has an upgrade schedule that would have them getting a new machine within a 5 year span. 5 years should be enough time to set aside ~$1000 bucks for a laptop upgrade, especially when the prices of these machines have actually come down/stayed the same since the transition.

Not to mention, as someone who was anxiously waiting for the G5 PowerBook, (ha remember that one?) the intel CPUs have been a great move and absolutely a key in the success Apple has had in the recent years (along with the iPod/iPhone).

For me personally, I still have a 15inch PB that I loaned to a roommate. And even though my most current machine is the latest refresh of the MBP 15inch that I bought 6 months ago, I still pull out my 12inch PB to use on a weekly basis. Love that little guy.

If you have a need to run Snow Leopard or anything that runs only on the Intel architecture, then you have a need to upgrade, simply put. Otherwise, get the most usage you can from what you have until you need to upgrade.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Hi, just wondered what other PowerPC users feel about the fact that upgrades to the OS can't go higher than 10.5.

Have just been reading about OS Lion's upcoming release, and it frustrates me that sooner or later I will have perfectly functioning hardware forced into retirement due to the inevitable need to keep up with new versions of OS.

Just interested if others accept this as inevitable progress, or, like me, wonder whether Apple's decision to withdraw support for the PowerPC is more marketing based than technology driven.

Thanks!

Where there's a will...

I say that because, when OS X came out, my Mac wasn't supported (PowerMac 8600 250MHz proc). However, an enterprising programmer came out with a utility that allowed me to install OSX on my Mac. I've been happily been living in 10.1.5 ever since.

Keep your eyes open for something similar now.

hungry ghost

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Really? Do you not remember the time Apple promised all PowerPC's would run OS X, and then changed it up to G3's and higher? :)

This is hardly the first time Apple has left behind hardware. Heck, they gave the G5 a better lifespan than they did stuff like the Power Mac 9600.

I don't remember, but as mentioned I only entered the mac world in 2000.

venomz said:

Interesting. I've put off moving to Leopard because everything runs fine on Tiger and has done for years. Also, when Leopard first was released I heard some initial reports that it was running slower on PPCs, since it was optimized for Intel. That put me off too, but I don't know if those reports were well founded or not.......?

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
@ Xenc - floppy discs are outdated technology? No one told me....... ;-)

Thanks for the replies.
I second That :)

What bugs me is when stuff that could run on ppc macs (normally running tiger) is coded as x86 only, i know my new eyetv could run on my macmini g4 (because i have done it before) but i need a slightly newer version of the software to make it work, i have no intel macs and my ppc mechiens work just fine for what i use them for heck my server is a 400mhz g4 sawtooth and apart from some usb troubles causing kp's it runs 24/7 fine and i know my dp 2.5Ghz g5 will be good for years to come, i refuse to accept ppc is dead because it just isn't im happy to live with tiger and leopard forever :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.