Apple Doubling Production of Certain 'Hot-Selling' Notebook Models? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:36 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Doubling Production of Certain 'Hot-Selling' Notebook Models?

In a brief report on declining shipments in Taiwan's notebook manufacturing segment, DigiTimes claims that Apple and Samsung are the only major notebook companies increasing production over the year ago quarter, with the notebook industry as a whole reportedly targeting flat production compared with the year-ago quarter and down 5-10% from last quarter.

Apple is seen as one of the biggest boosts to the notebook market, with the company reportedly seeking to as much as double production of some "hot-selling" notebook models.
Quote:
Samsung has been performing better than other brands by taking up deliveries from the suppliers, the sources noted, adding that Apple reportedly is revising upward its orders with the volume of some hot-selling models being doubled.
Apple has been widely rumored to be on the verge of releasing new MacBook Pro models, which could explain such a significant ramp up in production as the company seeks to fill sales channels with the new models and stay ahead of customer demand. Despite dealing with a "design error" that has set back chipset production, Intel has announced a February 20th shipping date for the dual-core Sandy Bridge processors expected to be used in the next-generation MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Apple Doubling Production of Certain 'Hot-Selling' Notebook Models?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

I would hold back on Sandy Bridge

Ivy will be a lil' better and , who wants the defect worries.

(and yes I understand only 2 SATA ports are affected)
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:44 PM   #3
WiiDSmoker
macrumors 65816

Finally. The Core 2 Duos at the price Apple charges is a complete insult and embarrassing.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:48 PM   #4
crain300
macrumors member

I bought my MacBook pro in Jan it is a 15 i7 core 2.66 model and I bumped the ram to 8gig it runs like a dream and does everything I want I have no regrets
I sure the new ones will be nice also
Personally I glad I bought when I did and I am very happy
crain300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Full of Win
Banned

Samsung sales are so minuscule, a doubling of production is a mere blip.
Full of Win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:50 PM   #6
retroneo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
who wants the defect worries.

Hopefully the new MacBook Pros use the faster 6Gbit/s SATA ports.
This would mean that shipments to Apple never stopped.
retroneo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:00 PM   #7
cmaier
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
I would hold back on Sandy Bridge

Ivy will be a lil' better and , who wants the defect worries.

I'm sure 0 of the SATA ports would be affected on any Macs with sandy bridge. Apple is going to put chips with defects in their stuff when they know about the defects. Intel is paying to replace all those chips, anyway.
cmaier is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:02 PM   #8
juro
macrumors member

About time they foucsed their attentions Back To Mac.

iPads and iPhones have seemed to take over for the past year. Hope they do not neglect their computing business.
juro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:06 PM   #9
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro View Post
About time they foucsed their attentions Back To Mac.

iPads and iPhones have seemed to take over for the past year. Hope they do not neglect their computing business.
+1

sick of the ipad crap. at its best its still a niche product..high sales only reflect its mass marketing. sort of like the nintendo wii.
at the end of the day, people will turn away and still go back to do real work on their MBPs.
like how most families now have a wii...but never use it
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:10 PM   #10
cmaier
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
+1

sick of the ipad crap. at its best its still a niche product..high sales only reflect its mass marketing. sort of like the nintendo wii.
at the end of the day, people will turn away and still go back to do real work on their MBPs.
I don't think "niche" means what you think it means.
cmaier is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:17 PM   #11
ArchaicRevival
macrumors regular

I hate it when people neg the posts for no reason.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:18 PM   #12
nitropowered
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
I'm sure 0 of the SATA ports would be affected on any Macs with sandy bridge. Apple is going to put chips with defects in their stuff when they know about the defects. Intel is paying to replace all those chips, anyway.
Yeah i guess Apple can buy up all the defective chips and just use the 6Gbps SATA ports since a laptop uses at most two SATA ports. Could pass on the savings (or not)
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:21 PM   #13
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
+1

I don't know I must admit I have seem people using the ipad for more than just watching movies.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:22 PM   #14
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post
Hopefully the new MacBook Pros use the faster 6Gbit/s SATA ports.
This would mean that shipments to Apple never stopped.
That would seem to be likely.

But who knows.

I would still rather get Ivy bridge

And that's rumored to come out soon too, like late 2012 Early 2013

I can wait
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:24 PM   #15
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Intel has to get someone to buy all those Core 2 Duo processors. Wait, what?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:28 PM   #16
kardiackeith
macrumors member

Sweet. I can't wait to buy my first Macbook Pro. I'm converting all products to Apple. I started with the iPhone on Monday.
kardiackeith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:31 PM   #17
mackuz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardiackeith View Post
Sweet. I can't wait to buy my first Macbook Pro. I'm converting all products to Apple. I started with the iPhone on Monday.
cool..i also have just bought my first macbook pro...
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:46 PM   #18
cvaldes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchaicRevival View Post
Welcome to the world of Apple rumor sites.

Most of the negative voters are probably people who are still bitter that they didn't buy Apple at $40 in 2005 or $80 in 2009 or $240 in September 2010.

AAPL briefly traded at $360 today. My guess is it will crack $400 within six months.
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:15 AM   #19
orfeas0
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchaicRevival View Post

Most of the negative voters are probably people who are still bitter that they didn't buy Apple at $40 in 2005 or $80 in 2009 or $240 in September 2010.

AAPL briefly traded at $360 today. My guess is it will crack $400 within six months.
Damn i could be rich if i invested, but who saw it coming? +it would give me another reason to buy apple products
orfeas0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:16 AM   #20
littvay
macrumors member

Totally misleading report. I would also guess that Apple doubled the production of the new Macbook Air models since they are pushing it as a mainstream machine at a mainstream price. They are probably selling twice as much too. As for the rest of the models, I can imagine a slight increase in sales but we are not talking double.

Also, if Apple is going to have a complete redesign of the Macbook Pro line up, they probably expect more sales after the refresh. (Same thing that happened with the air.) Since the most popular 13" MBP CPU has not been upgraded for a while, I am sure that increases sales expectations. I know multiple people holding out for Sandy Bridge. (Wait, I am one of them.)
littvay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:18 AM   #21
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post

Because everyone plays the stock market and only base opinions on money

Or they might -just not like the story for whatever reason.

But thanks for those figures !

Tell us more !

How much have you made on Apple from 2005 to now?

I love hearing about people and their money.

If a product is up in the stock market, it means I should buy it...Right??

Last edited by Mr. Gates; Feb 11, 2011 at 01:00 AM.
Mr. Gates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:48 AM   #22
Dandrews524
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaier View Post
I don't think "niche" means what you think it means.
im not sure YOU know what niche means. know what youre talking about before you attempt to impress everyone
Dandrews524 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:53 AM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post

Possibly but more to do with the fact the stock is priced in US Dollars. And the US Dollar is teetering towards collapse. So your AAPL stock might be $4000 pretty soon but I don't think you'll be getting too excited about that.
314631 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:07 AM   #24
moosez3
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurichie View Post
Possibly but more to do with the fact the stock is priced in US Dollars. And the US Dollar is teetering towards collapse. So your AAPL stock might be $4000 pretty soon but I don't think you'll be getting too excited about that.
Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

I am glad to see that Apple still cares about laptops!
moosez3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:18 AM   #25
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Jobs was seen at McDonalds, ordering a double bacon cheesburger, fries and a shake. He was wearing a full length fur coat and was smoking unfiltered Camels in the parking lot.

He was driving a Humvee with extra big wheels and lots of extra lights. He was overheard bragging that the lights would cause deer to freeze and made them easy to shoot.

He had a case of 50 year-old scotch, but the teenage girls he was talking up didn't know what that was and decided to go off with a guy with a bottle of weed cola, vodka and rock star energy drink.

"I sold every share" Jobs yelled, "I have 52.3 billion dollars!"

This insider selling is what triggered the little decline.

BTW, I bought and held at $14...wish I had bought and held more shares!
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion