Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theconns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2002
Greetings programs!

I have been scouring the interwebs and this forum, looking for the perfect case, and now turn to the hive mind to see if you can give me some assistance.

I like the slender profile of the Apple case, but the sharp edge and the way it attracts fingerprints and dust leaves a lot to be desired.

I tried the Marware Eco Vue case, and it was ok, but was bulkier than what I wanted.

Cyber Acoustics iPad case is closer.

The Yoobao Slim is almost perfect, except for the tuck-under flap.

The Yoobao Magic Slim is close, but the curved clip that holds the lid shut is uncomfortable when I'm holding it for reading.

I'm really not that hard to please, all I want is a slim, leather case without a latch or flap or clasp or strap to hold it down. I want a very, very thin book that will fit the iPad's look and feel.

Finally, I think I have found what I am looking for, but it's sold direct from manf. in China with a minimum order of 300 pieces.

Here is the link to see it:

http://trio.en.alibaba.com/product/379031803-210744972/Leather_hard_case_for_tablet_iPad.html

Has anyone seen a retailer carrying this case, or one similar? After reading through post after post in this forum and other sites, I'm not the only one looking for a case like this, but I can't find anyone selling it to the masses.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!!

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I like the slender profile of the Apple case, but the sharp edge and the way it attracts fingerprints and dust leaves a lot to be desired ... all I want is a slim, leather case without a latch or flap or clasp or strap to hold it down. I want a very, very thin book that will fit the iPad's look and feel.

Check out the new Yoobao "Lively" case. It's an exact clone of the Apple case in pleather. No dust, no fingerprints and no sharp edges.

theconns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2002
In some posts regarding this case I have read that the pleather is cheap looking and it has an odor...has that been your experience with this case? I don't mind if it is real leather or not, but I don't want it to look cheap, and as far as the odor goes, well, would prefer not, you know?

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
In some posts regarding this case I have read that the pleather is cheap looking and it has an odor...has that been your experience with this case? I don't mind if it is real leather or not, but I don't want it to look cheap, and as far as the odor goes, well, would prefer not, you know?

The odour vanishes within hours.

It's a great case.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Search for "yoobao lissom" on eBay.

If you do it that way you are limited to only two listings from HK. I searched Yoobao iPad and just searched through the listings specifically the pics. The infamous Kevikev has them for $30 + $3.95 s/h and his listing is titled YOOBAO *Color* Original Apple Style Case for Apple Ipad.

I don't personally endorse him since I haven't ordered anything from him yet, but he does appear to be the only US seller that has these and at the lowest price I can find.

deweyjohnson

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
If you do it that way you are limited to only two listings from HK. I searched Yoobao iPad and just searched through the listings specifically the pics. The infamous Kevikev has them for $30 + $3.95 s/h and his listing is titled YOOBAO *Color* Original Apple Style Case for Apple Ipad.

has anybody bought items from this seller? how is the product quality?

theconns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2002
I wanted to post an update in my quest for a nice, thin leather case.

I was unable to locate any case other than the Apple clones which did not have some type of fastening mechanism for the cover, so I had to compromise that point.

With that compromise, however, I have been able to locate two cases and I have to say they are both wonderful. I purchased both from Amazon.

The first is the Toblino case. It is quite thin, nice leather, form fitting, holds the iPad very securely, and is just a nice case. The leather is nice quality, although not the glove leather I was hoping to find. More like the leather on a automotive seat. Should last well.

The second is SGP Argos case. It is exquisite. Attention to detail in every corner, nice leather, wonderful quality.

Both have some downsides for every day use, but for what I was needing are perfect.

If you are in the market for a very thin leather case for iPad 1, I could recommend you look at both cases without qualification, assuming your needs are similar to my own.

If you are looking for an every day case for multiple uses, such as reading, typing, etc., these might be the best choices. For transporting the iPad, protecting it, and giving a quality appearance while making a presentation from a platform or podium, either of these cases are absolutely perfect.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Thanks for the update -- I'd looked at the Toblino on Amazon and it seemed similar to the Yoobao Magic and others as well.

How well does it work to fold the front 180% degrees to the back for holding the ipad in your hand or setting it flat on a desk?

SGP looks very nice, but price is higher than I care to spend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.