Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxicek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I have strange graphics issues on my PowerBook G4. I'm worried the graphics card is dying. See image here

Since about Christmas I have had strange vertical lines appear. The are not in all windows and appear mainly in menus.

Since tonight I now have black boxes appearing around menu bars, windows, buttons and the like. It is only when they are active or focused.

Any suggestions or even confirming that my beloved PB is doomed are gratefully received.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Back up the hard drive and do a total re install of the OS before you declare it dead.

Maxicek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Actually I put in a new HD in Jan, as the last one died.

I reinstalled the OS but copied over the library and user folders from backup - could I have copied over a corrupted file too?

(clutching at straws here)

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Actually I put in a new HD in Jan, as the last one died.

I reinstalled the OS but copied over the library and user folders from backup - could I have copied over a corrupted file too?

(clutching at straws here)

Backup your data and do a full reinstall (create your user as a new user - dont move any files) and see if that helps (ie try using it before you copy stuff, see if you get the problem, if you dont - its a file, if you do - its the hardware).

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
When was the last time you rebooted? Although this problem is suggestive of a graphics chip failure, you may simply be out of memory.

Maxicek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

On Saturday things got really bad with everything taking a yellow sheen and looking very noisy. So it looks like I'm looking at a new computer. One computer in almost seven years is pretty good going. I don't think I would have got that kind of life from a Windows laptop.

I was sorting some data out later that day and suddenly it returned to the state in the screenshot above. I have backed up and reinstalled anyway, but it didn't go back to a normal condition. Worth trying though.

Hopefully I can keep it limping on for a month or so until the new MacBook Pros are out, or even into the summer for OS X Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.