Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Now that I'm clear on which HDTV I'm going to get for use with my Apple TV, I need some help picking speakers. I'm on a tight budget, so fancy home audio systems are out. I'm thinking that I could get some speakers to plug in to the audio-out port of my HDTV. Would that be a good option? Anything of decent quality available for <$200?

I have some JBL Duets I use with my laptop. They're not so hot, but I suspect they're better than the built-in output of my HDTV. They connect to my computer via the headphones port, so I'm not sure how (or if) that would work with my HDTV or the Apple TV.

rebscb

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2002
Ditto

Me too... I use the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 with a Samsung LED HDTV. Great 2.1 sound - but I cannot use any remote to adjust volume. I have to get up - old school - and walk to the speakers to adjust volume. Exercise is good!!!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I got a $400 Sony 5.1 system from the Sonystyle refurbished site for $189 + shipping when they were running a sale. The system sounds very good to my ears, I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I still appreciate a good set of speakers and this system sounds great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.