Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcallow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
This has probably been answered already but I am trying to determine the maximum number of ATV2's you stream to via Airplay from a single itunes computer asssuming you have a dedicated 300mbs wireless network just for ATV2? I want to have 7+ ATV2's throughout the house connected to TV's and be able to airplay to all ATV's from a single itunes computer...basically a whole-house audio system. I have already done this wirelessly using 3 ATV2's with no hiccups and was wondering what the limitations are?....Network Bandwidth?..ATV2 Hardware limitations etc...Does adding each additional ATV gobble significant bandwidth or is airtunes more of a one way broadcast type deal? :confused:

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
While I don't know of a limit to the number of ATV2s you can have, iTunes -> ATV2 uses Home Sharing, iOS to AppleTV/Airport Express uses AirPlay.

Having said that, I don't see that Apple has a limit for the number of iOS devices. Also, it seems movies are streamed in their entirety to the ATV2, so you can jump around easily. Mine always stream much faster than realtime.

Are you streaming all HD? High bitrates? More just audio? Photos?

If you have a dedicated 300 mbps network, that gives each ATV2 40+mbps (theoretical), which is fine. However, does the computer running iTunes also use that same wireless network, or is it hardwired? If it's wireless, then you'll get dinged twice for the data speed, once for the computer to send it to the router, and again for the router to relay it to the ATV2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.