Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
those are exception to rules and bad apples in the rank of honest businesses.

if companies are going to cheat like they did, then it doesn't matter if they get this tax amnesty or not.

the fact that these company (apple and cisco) are lobbying means they are honest companies going thru legal route instead of cheat.

you can't compare the two otherwise u r just saying all corporations are evil and liar. then keep their money off-shore, what purpose does it serve?

They are bad apples because they were left unchecked and allowed to become massive conglomerations.

Teddy Roosevelt was spot on when he broke up the Trusts. The Conglomerations need to be broken up in the US, once again.

djp2

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2010
I can understand them holding the money in the offshore accounts. And even if they bring it in it stays at the company level it wouldn't go to the execs. And if it did that tax hit would be huge. Imagine as it is now if they bring it over, pay 35% tax. Then they give that to an employee and pay another 38% on that. Thats 60%ish tax right there that goes to taxes.

Of course it won't go to execs, for the most part. If anything, it would mainly benefit large shareholders. But what's your point? It's still cheating.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Apple could quite easily issue bonds to payout some of the overseas cash to shareholders. This is what Microsoft does regularly. Since Apple has the cash overseas, the bonds could be issued at a very low interest rate costing Apple next to nothing (and interest paid by Apple would be tax deductible).

I'll pass on a dividend and bonds for Apple if it means they take ten or twenty billion and reinvest it into new areas of business and thus create jobs in the US.

KT Walrus

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Since they are discussing terms of dropping the capital gains tax it's only fair for corporations to pay 17.5%--it meets them half way.

Capital gains are going up from 15% to 20% in 2013. This rate increase would give companies the incentive to repatriate cash before the rate goes up if changed to the capital gains rate.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Capital gains are going up from 15% to 20% in 2013. This rate increase would give companies the incentive to repatriate cash before the rate goes up if changed to the capital gains rate.

For corporations, the capital gains tax rate is 35%, which is the same as for ordinary income.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Well, first off, a company pays it's taxes AFTER it pays all it's expenses, including salaries, so the 30% comes of the net profit, not the gross income. And most people in America aren't paying 40% in federal income taxes. Since the highest marginal rate is supposed to be 35% on income over $373,000 (for singles) that would be hard to do (and since they only pay Social Security on the first $107k, you just can't reach 40% in federal taxes for an individual - and we're talking MARGINAL rate here, not the real rate which is going to probably be 20%- 25% for most normal people).

If they make money on the stock, they pay tax on the PROFIT, not the gross amount. So again, that isn't double-taxation. If they die and pass the money along to their children MILLIONS of dollars are exempted from taxes, so again, money is missing out of taxation.

Like the 5-year limit on welfare, the unemployment insurance that goes on forever disinclines a subset of people from looking for work. There is certainl something to be said for having a time limit on it. However, the average unemployment check in the US is $293/week. And that's taxable. That's not to say people don't get larger checks, but it doesn't last forever and $1200/month pre-tax doesn't go too far if you have a family. Not too many people getting ahead on unemployment insurance.

true about the corporate pay tax after salary expense, but still it is double taxation, just smaller.

many people pay 40% all the time, because they live in the majority of US states that have state income tax.

after they pay their income tax, they spend the remaining 60% of their income, and then when they spend they pay 10% of sales tax. do you call that not double taxation?

when i invest, sure i only pay tax on my profit, but why shall i? i already paid tax on the money i invested!

so by the same logic, when i lose $5m in stocks, shall the government give me $5m in tax deduction? after all, if i make money in stock governemnt take money from me, if i lose money they should give me money back then!?

how come the tax deduction for investment loss is only meager 3k a year?

for your unemployment points: people do get ahead, because they still work under-table.

you are only calculating numerical values but not opportunity cost.

if i made $40k before, and w/ unemployment i only make $20k, to you i am losing $20k, but if my free time is worth $30k to me, then i am ahead.
dont forget, unemployment is money paid for working zero hour.

so what do people (like my friend) do? they find work without getting noticed by the goverment. they go on craigslist and join dozen focus groups, clinical trials, small projects, or teach private lesson. heck go even write a book or make iPhone apps. why not? you are getting paid for breathing.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Ha. Ha. I love it when lefties like Jobs (err... he was and is publically known to be an Obama supporter as well as the Democratic party and its platform) see the benefit of tax cuts when it comes to themselves yet want everyone else to pay their "fair" share. What hipppocricy.

Yes, the corporate tax rate is too high (highest in the industrialized world in fact) and that has its negative consequences on the economy with a lot of "locked up" capital sitting on the sidelines. However, the economic boom (and greater cash intake for the treasury) that such a tax cut would unleash is impossible because it violates the left's #1 tenant of schadenfreude. Happy that Steve understands the corp tax rate is too high but sorry that he doesn't think it should applies to more than Apple.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
All this talk about different kinds of taxes, loopholes, who pays what, etc. is warping my fragile little mind! :eek:

I really wish the US would simplify its tax code and close all the loopholes. I'd like to see the US lower its rates so corporations aren't as tempted to move its operations overseas to save money. It'll put more people at work, plus the government would be able to get the money it needs to offer the services people want. That's one problem I've heard from multiple people: they want all these services, but don't want to pay for them. I know, not all people are like this, and not necessarily most people. But enough to still make it frustrating.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I'll pass on a dividend and bonds for Apple if it means they take ten or twenty billion and reinvest it into new areas of business and thus create jobs in the US.

You could take those bonds and dividends and fund your own company so that you can create the jobs you think are most important to create in the U.S. Or you can use those funds to buy stuff from the U.S. companies that will use your added revenues to do the same. Or you could hire more services for yourself (repaint, remodel, etc.) and thus also fund more local jobs. Why depend on some profit-focused company to do what you think is important?

glytle

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
Oregon
Corporations don't pay taxes. They are passed along to their customers (higher prices), their employees (lower wages), or their shareholders (lower dividends). Anything that isn't passed along reduces their ability to invest in maintenance, growth, or R&D.

Corporate taxes just alter the business decisions made by companies. They will always make decisions based on maximizing their profits and staying competitive. Most corporations have choices about where to do business. High taxes in one location simply encourage them to move their business elsewhere.

Any "altruistic" company that decides to stay in a high tax location will lose either employees, customers, or shareholders (depending on who they pass those taxes onto) to companies in low tax locations.

Last edited:

jay_app

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
Taxes

For years politicians have been playing class warfare for their own power. They pit poor against rich and its harmful, dishonest, divisive and destructive. The truth is the poor pay no federal taxes. Anyone one who comments that the so called rich get away with everything on the back of the poor has believed the harmful, dishonest, divisive and destructive politicians. It hold poor people back, they are told the system is not "fair" so don't bother try to get ahead just vote for me and I'll take money from the "rich" and hand it to you. Most of the bottom 50% on income earners not only pay no income taxes they get money back (ie cash payments).

Here are the stats:
Top 1% of income earners pay 40% of all taxes
Top 5% of income earners pay 60% of all taxes
Top 50% of income earners pay more than 97% of all taxes
Bottom 50% of income earners pay less than 3% of all taxes (the vast majority pay less than $0 income tax — they get cash)

j-traxx

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2005
California
wow it was sure nice of them to put in that billion dollar data center in NC. all those construction companies were near belly up when that job came in. the more they have is the more they buy here. the more they buy here is the better it is for costs across the board. we have the highest corp tax in the world here in america and we're still broke.

maknik

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Uh, no, for corporations, the US has one of the HIGHEST tax rates in the industrialized world.

Although the US has one of the highest corporate tax rates, it is in keeping with the rate of other countries of the same economic size as the US -- Japan, Germany, France, Canada, etc. See this CBO report, Figure 2.3 or Figure 2.6. The richer and more complex the economy, the more taxation it requires to maintain the structures that support such a rich ecosystem of successful corporations.

And for those of you complaining about the high tax rate paid by rich individuals, the effective tax rate -- the total amount of taxes paid including social security and sales taxes as a percent of income -- is almost flat in the US, at about 30%. See the first chart here. And if you look at the total taxes paid by income group compared to their share of total income, that rate is pretty flat too.

So whether you look at them as a corporation or an individual, trying to weasel out of a paying their 30% share of taxes is pretty low.

bobbyd38

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2004
I Love apple Products but....

...Trying to evade paying their taxes is BS! Just goes to show, if ALL the BIG Corporations didn't have so many Loopholes from paying their Taxes, maybe our country wouldn't be in such a huge mess with our debt. PAY YOUR TAXES APPLE LIKE THE REST OF US!!!

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I can imagine this being fairly contentious. On the one hand - it would be great for the US economy to have that kind of cash injection. On the other - why should the 'rich' pay less tax; while the poor pay more?

OK, first you must understand that no corporation pays any tax. They merely collect it from the buyer and pass it on. It is only a sham. Any tax that a corporation paid came from an income earner, namely you and me. Hence when politicians play off the evil rich corporations not paying "their" fair share is all is a lie which is exist only because people are ignorant.

Second, the tax would never make it into the economy anyway, it would be blown by those tards running Washington, an entity where more than a third of the proposed budgets by either side is done by borrowing.

Taxing foreign profits is stupid, unless you like the idea of having foreigners being taxed to support your lifestyle.

Every Apple purchase you make here has a portion of the price paid embedded Federal Taxes. This is how our government gets away with essentially taxing us nearly 50% of our income. First they take 20 to to 35% directly through income/fica/medicare then they get the rest through embedded taxes.

Lovely system. It relies on ignorance and that abounds here in the US and unfortunately in these forums. Just reading what others post you can see why this system works so well. The politicians rely on their ignorance and twist it into a us versus the corporations.

So, again, no corporation pays ANY tax. They collect it and pass it on.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Steve: Thats stupid! Why should anyone have to pay 30% just to use... oh wait..

How ironically delicious :D

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Although the US has one of the highest corporate tax rates, it is in keeping with the rate of other countries of the same economic size as the US -- Japan, Germany, France, Canada, etc. See this CBO report, Figure 2.3 or Figure 2.6. The richer and more complex the economy, the more taxation it requires to maintain the structures that support such a rich ecosystem of successful corporations.

Sure, that's why countries like Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland, with very generous welfare states, are toward the bottom of the list. When a Democratic administration says that corporate tax rates need to come down, that's a pretty good indication that perhaps our rates are too high.

At the end of the day, the corporate income tax is very inefficient. It doesn't bring in much revenue, and higher rates tend to scare away capital. On top of that, it is very complex and expensive to comply with. The opportunity costs of compliance are even more staggering. All those tax accountants (just for sheer compliance, before we even consider tax deferral or avoidance) could do more good doing something else if we had a simpler, lower tax system.

Another point is that it is not just the rate, it's also the base. The US is one of the few countries to attempt to tax worldwide income both at the corporate and individual levels. A UK citizen living in Bermuda pays no UK income tax. An American living in Bermuda pays US income tax. For corporations, taxation of extraterritorial income is a bit more common, but so are tax planning strategies like transfer pricing (to shift expenses to high tax areas and income to low tax areas).

glytle

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
Oregon
Every Apple purchase you make here has a portion of the price paid embedded Federal Taxes. This is how our government gets away with essentially taxing us nearly 50% of our income. First they take 20 to to 35% directly through income/fica/medicare then they get the rest through embedded taxes.

Lovely system. It relies on ignorance and that abounds here in the US and unfortunately in these forums. Just reading what others post you can see why this system works so well. The politicians rely on their ignorance and twist it into a us versus the corporations.

So, again, no corporation pays ANY tax. They collect it and pass it on.

Yes. Corporate taxes are a useful way of hiding the taxes that are really paid by all of us. People think we're making the rich pay their "fair" share, while not noticing that it's all being passed back onto us. If we all saw how much we are really taxed, we would start paying more attention to how those taxes are spent, and maybe start thinking we could do better ourselves.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
They don't have to build a factory to invest in the US economy. Their stores are hugely successful, employ many thousands and of course generate enormous tax revenue for the cities and states they reside in, both through their sales, and through their employee salaries.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
We're talking about companies, here, not individuals. We are all "poor" relative to these companies, anyway.

Can I have an amnesty from paying MY taxes over the last decade?

I'm not poor, but I never have more than a couple thousand dollars in the bank at any point in time (if that), and I've paid nearly 100,000 in taxes in the last decade.

I would gladly take my 75,000 dollars back, please.

I'm sure the republicans will back this, and then say that those opposed are "hurting small business." As if any small businesses can afford to leave huge piles of cash in foreign banks...
I knew a politician would appear ....

Last edited:

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
wow it was sure nice of them to put in that billion dollar data center in NC. all those construction companies were near belly up when that job came in. the more they have is the more they buy here. the more they buy here is the better it is for costs across the board. we have the highest corp tax in the world here in america and we're still broke.

It's why your broke. It is driving everyone away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.