Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feeex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Guys,

I've searched the internet high and low for a solution but can find nothing. So I'm hoping somebody here can help........

I recently bought a 13" MBP which I love dearly! However, a colleague in my newly formed company does not want to stray from his trusty Vaio laptop.

On my MBP I have installed and am running succesfully the latest Office for Mac 2011 with Outlook. However, we seem to have identified a significant short-coming of the new software. As we work with the same clients, we want to share contacts (and emails and calendars too) but the new Outlook will only export contacts (and other Outlook info) in the .olm format. To get it into Outlook 2010 for PC or even Apple Mail for that matter, the format needs to be .pst or .mbox.

Does anybody know of a way that we can export as .pst or convert .olm to .pst or .mbox so that we can share information across platforms? I have even looked for third party software but none seems to have included the new .olm format yet.

This seems like a huge oversight by Microsoft.........

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Just to add insult to injury, it appears that I cannot sync Outlook directly with my iPhone so am considering going back to Mail/iCal/AddressBook but the same issue applies, .olm files cannot be read by Mail..........!!

:(

Last edited by a moderator:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The simplest workaround is to use an IMAP4 server as a go-between.

You can add the IMAP4 server as a separate account in one e-mail client and then pick it up in another that uses the desired format.

http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/ doesn't seem to support OLM, but does seem to have added an IMAP4 server.

Usually folks want out of PST, and emailchemy works great for that.

EDIT: FWIW that's also where keeping your e-mail/contacts/calendar on the server makes a lo more sense that keeping it on your laptops. Microsoft Exchange and Google Apps (which can mimic Exchange mostly) make that a lot easier.

B

Last edited:

Feeex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the response Balamw.

I understand that if you know about this issue before you start using Office 2011 for Mac there is a way round it, but it's too late now and I'm trying to find a way of sharing info with a colleague.

We are a very small company and as such do not use Exchange server or bother with keeping emails on a central server.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
We are a very small company and as such do not use Exchange server or bother with keeping emails on a central server.

Google Apps caters to businesses of all sizes and for small companies it costs $50/user/year. You've probably missed more than $100 in business by not keeping e-mail/contacts/calendar on a central server.

If you'd prefer to stick with a Microsoft based server you can get hosted Exchange for not much more. I've seen some for $10/user/month.

Migration "to the cloud" isn't hard. Add the new account to your e-mail client and/or device and copy items over to the new structure from within the client.

B

clark1

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
I am reading through the forum in preparation for ordering first Apple computer. Outlook for PC, at least 2003 version, has the option of exporting to Vcard, .vcf file. When emailed, the opened attachment can be opened and saved to the receiving Outlook. Though I have not tried, the option to export to Vcard is there for Calendar as well. Are these options available for Mac Office and will exported files open and save for PC from Mac and vice versa?

Thanks,
Will

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.