Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mush10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I am fairly new to the Mac world and have been using Entourage flawlessly for my needs. I upgraded to day to Office 2011 and am having nothing but trouble with Outlook. Every time I try to open a new mail or create and email or really just click on anything, I get the spinning wheel. At this point it is rendering it unusable. I have tried removing the account and reinstalling it, but nothing seems to help. If anyone is experiencing similar issues or knows a way to resolve them, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

avi-sf

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
Same issue

I'm having the same issue - on 2 different Macs - anyone know what the cause is?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There could be a problem with webkit. I know it sounds strange and you would not have thought related, but if you could download and re-install safari and see if this helps.

http://www.apple.com/safari

Others are reporting improvement or resolution of issues after doing so.

mush10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I seem to have had some improvement, but I have not done anything to create it.

mush10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I spoke to soon. The issues are back. I am starting to think it may be some sort of Firewall issue. During the weekend at home, the issues seem to disappear. At two different work locations on Thursday and today, I am having constant issues with the spinning wheel.

RexHuskey

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
Georgia
Outlook 2011 issues

I had the spinning beach ball and frequent freezes too. Was deleting old "to dos" and froze again. Now cannot get Outlook to open. I get bouncing 'O" icon in the dock, the yellow Outlook "splash screen" for about 2 seconds, then the word "Outlook" in the menu bar for about 8 seconds and then nothing. All goes away with out opening program. I'll try the safari reload.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
I'm having similar problems. Twice in 3 days, Outlook has crashed and tried to rebuild the database - except then the rebuild crashes and it restores to a completely blank version and I have to add in my accounts all over again and customise as if it were a new copy.

It seems to make my Macbook pro very laggy too - was running perfectly until I started using OUtlook and now it's S-L-O-W….

Any suggestions? Reinstalling Safari hasn't helped..

mush10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I have tried to Repair Outlook Identity, I have removed everything, created new accounts, removed Outlook preferences and nothing seems to help.

I have not choice but to keep it for now and hope an upgrade fixes it. I have a newer MBP and do not want to purchase 2008 and then need to buy 2011 when it is fixed. I can get by using Remote Desktop and the Mail app for now, but this is really frustrating.

mush10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I am still having no luck with this and it is driving me nuts. I have upgraded, I have rebuilt the identity, I have created a new identity and nothing is helping. Any suggestions left. Who is the best to bring this issue to Apple or Microsoft?

Also curious if others are still having issues and maybe I just need a new version of the software.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I am fairly new to the Mac world and have been using Entourage flawlessly for my needs. I upgraded to day to Office 2011 and am having nothing but trouble with Outlook. Every time I try to open a new mail or create and email or really just click on anything, I get the spinning wheel. At this point it is rendering it unusable. I have tried removing the account and reinstalling it, but nothing seems to help. If anyone is experiencing similar issues or knows a way to resolve them, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have not used the Mac Version of Outlook. But I did use the 2010 version of Outlook for the PC and HATED it. Microsoft does everything it can to make it's applications as confusing as possible. Is there anyway you could uninstall Outlook and get your money back? If so, just try iWorks. :)

mush10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I have not used the Mac Version of Outlook. But I did use the 2010 version of Outlook for the PC and HATED it. Microsoft does everything it can to make it's applications as confusing as possible. Is there anyway you could uninstall Outlook and get your money back? If so, just try iWorks. :)

I have and use iworks actually. For my job I purchased Office for ease of use (ironic :cool:). I have been going back and forth with Microsoft today and they are telling me to check our Exchange server. Problem is it works flawlessly synced with the Mail app and my iPhone. It is their software that is the problem.

Garamond

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2004
I made a brand new install of Office 2011, and have been plagued by sudden slowdown with the beach ball appearing for 5-6 seconds. This happens regularly, especially when composing a new email.

Anyone with a solution? Even after two bugfixes it's still "beach-balling" here :mad:

sufferrar

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Try this...

Outlook 2011 on 2010 Macbook air has never open. The first time i've installed office, Outlook got stuck with the spinning coloured wheel. I killed the task. Now the icon just bounces with a window that pops up asking if you'd like to report the crash.
Here is what I did:
I reinstalled office a number of times until I got fed up and decided to do some experimenting.
I used app zapper to get rid of office, then did a spotlight search for "office" and "outlook". Anything that shows up that has to do with office or outlook ends up in the trash. Empty trash and reinstall.
BOOM , it works, going on 5 weeks without a single crash.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has anyone tried repairing disk permissions?

mush10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
Outlook 2011 on 2010 Macbook air has never open. The first time i've installed office, Outlook got stuck with the spinning coloured wheel. I killed the task. Now the icon just bounces with a window that pops up asking if you'd like to report the crash.
Here is what I did:
I reinstalled office a number of times until I got fed up and decided to do some experimenting.
I used app zapper to get rid of office, then did a spotlight search for "office" and "outlook". Anything that shows up that has to do with office or outlook ends up in the trash. Empty trash and reinstall.
BOOM , it works, going on 5 weeks without a single crash.

I am going to give this a shot. I tried using it today for the first time in a few months and still no luck.

sufferrar

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
This problem doesn't seem to be a configuration problem.
Looks more of an install or execution problem.

Barty Fartslast

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
I have been using OUtlook 2011 with Leopard 10.5.8 for about three months with no issues (I had used Entourage in the past but hated it and just deleted it, preferring to run Windows under a virtual machine when I had to collaborate with my Windows colleagues).

Anyway, I performed the "auto update" software updates from Apple that showed up this week on my MacBook Pro and immediately afterwards I began getting the spinning beach ball with Outlook 2011 to the extent that it is very nearly unusable. 50% of the time it is locked frozen. Then it will unfreeze, I can compose an email, and send. Then it will freeze again and I have to wait two minutes for it to unlock. Some times this happens in the middle of composing the email.

There are no errors posted to the errors log

Watching the "progress" window, I cannot correlate anything shown there with the freezes and lock-ups that occur.

I am running against an Exchange Server as well as my personal Gmail account.

Total size of my Exchange account folder (with subfolders) is 299,658k

Total size of my Gmail account folder (with subfolders) is 1,937 MB which seems like a lot, but it was not causing a problem before the Apple software update.

I have tried changing IMAP settings, with no results

Last edited by a moderator:

skidazys

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
Outlook 2011 - Calendar issues

Have used outlook on PC for years. Just recently moved to Outlook on the Mac.
One huge problem if I schedule a three day appointment ( say May 1 2 & 3) and by accident I double click on MAY 2 to add a comment in the notes filed "sometimes " it shifts my whole 3 day meeting to start on May 2,3 and 4 ?
Could really mess things up.
Any one else ?

chrisd10101

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
new iMAC and spinning wheel in Outlook or Office

Hi

I have just moved from PC to iMAC. Bought an 8Gb Ram i7 Sandybridge cpu which is a fairly beefy machine. Expecting it to run seemlessly, I have been emailing on Outlook 2011 and had the beachball freezing it about 10 x in the last 20 minutes for between 3 and 10 seconds a piece. I connect it to Exchange online as well but that isn't the issue as my Macmail works seamlessly.

In short I think it's Microsoft's latest software not working hand in hand with a MAC. We spoke to Apple and they just gave my support guys test things to do but it's had no effect. We've reinstalled Office but again, no effect. It happens in Word as well and probably Excel as I start to use that.

Sorry, it's not great news guys but will await some form of MS service pack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.