Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tesseract4d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Just out of curiosity has anyone ever sat down with a meter and figured out what folding costs you in electricty. I shut down a server I ran 24/7 for years (and replaced it with a HP WHS) and realized a $20/month decrease in my electric bill. That server wasn't really doing all that much. It hosted some web sites that no one visted and ran an email server that serviced one user. I imagine had that thing been folding with all its unused cycles (which were many) it would have been much more than $20.

darknite38

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Simply measure the amount of volts it uses while folding with a physical electrical meter, (I don't know if there are any programs that can actually measure electrical output) And see how much your electricity bill charges you. Folding DOES cause an increase in electricity usage, so if I were you, I wouldn't do it.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I was running seven GPU's on 4 machines and my lectric bill was $300. before all of that I was paying about $50 or so.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
If you grab a power meter (something like a Kill-A-Watt meter) it will tell you your live power usage in watts. So compare your idle and folding power usage. The meter might tell you the consumption over time as well (in kWh) so run idle for say 1 hour, then fold for 1 hour and compare the usage. Then simply multiply out the difference and multiply by your cost per kWh.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
I work on £1 per watt per year based on UK electricity prices:

1 W * 24 hrs * 365 days = 8760 WHrs/yr = 8.76 kWHrs/yr
8.76 * £0.12 per kW/hr =~ £1 per year

So thats £1000 per year for 3 quad cores with 3 GTX 460 GPUs.

The other cost to consider is cooling if you are lucky enough to live somewhere warm enough to need aircon. You'll not only be paying to generate the heat, but also paying to pump that extra heat out.
Conversely, in cooler climates, you can save on heating costs - I've not had to turn the heating on this winter, despite december being our coldest on record!

I think I've reached my max comfortable expenditure, so I'm now focusing on optimising efficiency - a new 90%+ efficiency power supply saved 30W in one rig and I'm going to stop the GPUs soon - they each use 170W for 11k ppd whereas my complete 2600k i7 rig does 49k ppd on 220W

Rob

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
yeah folding can cost quite a bit when you have a lot of systems in one house folding. this summer my numbers will go down b/c of the heat around here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.