Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh ok. So I would tell them I want a retail one?

Yes but you're going to have to be persuasive. They will most likely tell you it cant be done. Tell them you just bought the phone, and have been through several replacements, and don't trust an AppleCare phone anymore.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY been able to replace your phone just bc of the yellow screen?

Geffen

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
Michigan
Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY been able to replace your phone just bc of the yellow screen?

Is there a way to tell if you have a yellow screen? Would i need to compare it to an AT&T iphone ? Or is there a website i can bring up on my iphone 4 that would do a color test?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

Yes, I have and have had many friends as well. When I got the 3GS, I went through about 4 yellow phones before getting a good one finally. Just be prepared for the Genius to look at you with a puzzled look and act as if they have never even remotely heard of the problem. It never fails. Compare your phone to theirs, or to a display phone if you have to. They will give in.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Is there a way to tell if you have a yellow screen? Would i need to compare it to an AT&T iphone ? Or is there a website i can bring up on my iphone 4 that would do a color test?

If you look at the phone, and instead of a white background it looks yellow...you have a yellow screen phone. If the colors all look right and white is a nice bright white...you don't

AndrewR23

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
If you look at the phone, and instead of a white background it looks yellow...you have a yellow screen phone. If the colors all look right and white is a nice bright white...you don't

Ya even compared to a 3G, the 3G is so much brighter. even my mom noticed within 2 seconds. I even noticed without even thinking it was yellow, it just looked "off". its like a yellow brown color

better put it this way

when my iphone 4 is at MAX brightness, my 3G at HALF looks just as bright. sad

AndrewR23

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
another weird thing bout this replacement is the white dot in the headphone jack the water sensor is half white half black or dark grey..

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Definitely exchange it... that iPhone on the left looks like someone puked on it... gross... lol

Now you know why I get annoyed when people say its just "warmer" or "color temperature" or even worse "glue that will go away".

It's only one thing...a defective screen.

bizfox

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Now you know why I get annoyed when people say its just "warmer" or "color temperature" or even worse "glue that will go away".

It's only one thing...a defective screen.

Yep, I know what others meant by "warm glow". However, the iPhone on the left is beyond that. Did you already take yours in for an exchange? What did the Genius say?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Yep, I know what others meant by "warm glow". However, the iPhone on the left is beyond that. Did you already take yours in for an exchange? What did the Genius say?

Im taking in mine on Sunday in San Francisco. I dont care what he says. my phones screen is dark yellow and brown even. it is very obvious so it should be an automatic replacement. If my replacement is yellow, i give up lol.

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
just to throw in my 2 cents

I went to the Apple store today for this same exact issue. My Verizon iPhone 4 has a slightly yellow/creamish tint. It's not nearly as bad as the attached picture posted above but it is definitely noticeable even without a normal phone to compare against. I took it into my local Apple Store and surprisingly, they immediately agreed that the screen was tinted. However, they only offered to replace the phone with a refurbed (non retail) phone. They assured me that it was brand new since they (supposedly) haven't gotten any actual refurbished Verizon iPhones since it is too new. I am still within my 30 day return policy so I insisted on a brand new sealed retail box. They said that it could not be done via the Genius bar so the only option I have is to return the phone and repurchase if I want a sealed retail box. And since I bought it on Apple Online Store, they said I'd have to do the return via the website.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

I went to the Apple store today for this same exact issue. My Verizon iPhone 4 has a slightly yellow/creamish tint. It's not nearly as bad as the attached picture posted above but it is definitely noticeable even without a normal phone to compare against. I took it into my local Apple Store and surprisingly, they immediately agreed that the screen was tinted. However, they only offered to replace the phone with a refurbed (non retail) phone. They assured me that it was brand new since they (supposedly) haven't gotten any actual refurbished Verizon iPhones since it is too new. I am still within my 30 day return policy so I insisted on a brand new sealed retail box. They said that it could not be done via the Genius bar so the only option I have is to return the phone and repurchase if I want a sealed retail box. And since I bought it on Apple Online Store, they said I'd have to do the return via the website.

I have to be honest...me and others I know have had better luck with the refurbs then the retail boxed versions. Besides, many are new, the only sure fire way to know if you have a refurb is if the serial number starts with 5K.

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I've never heard of it before. I have have at least 20 friends with the same iPhone 4 model I do, and our displays are stellar.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Ive noticed the yellow tint has better picture quality. Blue tint makes the whites look better too.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Can anyone please make a photo of his/her yellowish tinted screen? Side-by-side with a "blue" tinted iPhone if possible (all iPhone 4 please). I'm really thinking most of you people are extremely exaggerating and being OCD, but a photo may prove me wrong. I'm willing to alter my opinion.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Not all of them are iP4's, but I see your point. I've never seen such as a yellow display first hand, but I still think it's not that bad.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Here's my 5K:
ehiy49.jpg

Looks fine to me.

sic2five

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010

I think they're all brand new.

TheGodsInRed

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Sheffield, UK
I've had mine since release day and it has the blue bright screen. I've noticed a yellow orangey blob appear in the top left corner of the screen. Looks like a different issue but still annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.