Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedmccann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
hello all. just starting the process of converting my dvd library. Is it better to use handbrake on the dvd while its loaded...or copy the dvd to the disk and then run handbrake on it...or is that even feasible?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
hello all. just starting the process of converting my dvd library. Is it better to use handbrake on the dvd while its loaded...or copy the dvd to the disk and then run handbrake on it...or is that even feasible?

Copying the DVD to the HDD means you can set Handbrake going overnight with your movies all queued up. It can also be considerably faster ripping from the HDD as a number of current and not-so-current Macs have rip lock built into the SuperDrive which limits the speed at which data is accessed from the optical drive.

My MacBook has a rip lock drive, it takes about an hour to make a full DVD rip. My 6 year old iBook G4 takes less than 15 minutes. When it comes to using Handbrake though the MacBook is around 10x faster than my iBook.

tedmccann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
hi...so copy the dvd to a folder...then run handbrake on the contents...should be faster than leaving the dvd in the optical drive?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
hi...so copy the dvd to a folder...then run handbrake on the contents...should be faster than leaving the dvd in the optical drive?

Generally yes, the time it takes to rip the disc to the HDD (I use RipIt) I more than gain in the faster Handbrake encode times and the ability to have a few movies converted overnight.

tedmccann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
thanks! Any suggestions on best quality for viewing. I have the apple tv and apple tv2 on two different tvs. I tried "troy" on the universal setting...but it was freezing my apple tv.....so I switched to apple tv preset....but it is still a bit soft in resolution it seems...a little bit jagged.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
thanks! Any suggestions on best quality for viewing. I have the apple tv and apple tv2 on two different tvs. I tried "troy" on the universal setting...but it was freezing my apple tv.....so I switched to apple tv preset....but it is still a bit soft in resolution it seems...a little bit jagged.

These are the settings I use, the videos look transparent to the originals:

These settings are ATV compliant.

Video
-720xXXX resolution
-Anamorphic set to off
-Crop - automatic
-2 pass, NO turbo first parse
-Bitrate - 1500kbps

Audio
1st channel - Main movie audio - 160kbps AAC CoreAudio
2nd channel - AC3 pass through (only bother if you have a 5.1 reciever whitch your ATV is connected to via TOSLINK)
3rd channel - Commentary - 80kbps AAC CoreAudio

I strongly suggest you go to preview, find a part of the movie with lots of action, encode a one minute clip (with those settings). Then find the video in ~/Libary/ApplicationSupport/Handbrake/Preview, stream to ATV and see how it looks.

tedmccann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
thanks....the other apple tv I have is second gen. Do I need to web optimize to stream to it?

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Video
-720xXXX resolution
-Anamorphic set to off
-Crop - automatic
-2 pass, NO turbo first parse
-Bitrate - 1500kbps

With respect, these settings are seriously out of date/suboptimal for use with current builds of Handbrake:

• Constant bitrate has been superceded by constant quality
  • 2-pass encoding is no longer required if you are using CQ encoding
  • Most sources should have anamorphic enabled

OP, if I were you I would start with the Handbrake preset most appropriate for your destination device (in the OP's case, the Apple TV preset) and go from there e.g. if you are encoding from HD sources you can increase the resolution as detailed here. The HB team have spent a lot of time optimising the presets to balance quality and file size, so unless you really know what you're doing that's probably the best place to start.

p.s. your ATV2 will stream/play encodes done with the ATV1 preset in Handbrake just fine: however, it won't work the other way round i.e. the ATV1 won't play ATV2 preset encodes.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
With respect, these settings are seriously out of date/suboptimal for use with current builds of Handbrake:

• Constant bitrate has been superceded by constant quality
  • 2-pass encoding is no longer required if you are using CQ encoding
  • Most sources should have anamorphic enabled

OP, if I were you I would start with the Handbrake preset most appropriate for your destination device (in the OP's case, the Apple TV preset) and go from there e.g. if you are encoding from HD sources you can increase the resolution as detailed here. The HB team have spent a lot of time optimising the presets to balance quality and file size, so unless you really know what you're doing that's probably the best place to start.

p.s. your ATV2 will stream/play encodes done with the ATV1 preset in Handbrake just fine: however, it won't work the other way round i.e. the ATV1 won't play ATV2 preset encodes.

That's fair enough, I personally go with fixed bitrates so I know exactly which devices my encodes are compliant with.

I don't see how "Most sources should have anamorphic enabled", the resolution you choose to output is a personal preference. There's no right or wrong about it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

If you have more than one movie, do you want to get up several times in the night to switch DVDs?

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't see how "Most sources should have anamorphic enabled", the resolution you choose to output is a personal preference. There's no right or wrong about it.

If you are creating HD files for viewing on either type of ATV, you are limited to a height of 720. However, many movies have a wider aspect ratio and so HB will limit the height of your clip to less than 720 in order to maintain the original aspect ratio.

If you set anamorphic to "Custom", and the width x height to 1280 x 720, you maintain the original aspect ratio, limit the height to the ATV's max of 720, but gain horizontal resolution. Your resultant file will have a resolution of 15xx x 720 or sometimes 17xx x 720 for ultra-wide aspect ratios, and will play perfectly on your ATV (I have only 1st gen units and get great results with this).

I simply select the ATV preset, open the Picture settings, make the necessary changes to the anamorphic type, the picture width and height, and code away.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
If you are creating HD files for viewing on either type of ATV, you are limited to a height of 720. However, many movies have a wider aspect ratio and so HB will limit the height of your clip to less than 720 in order to maintain the original aspect ratio.

If you set anamorphic to "Custom", and the width x height to 1280 x 720, you maintain the original aspect ratio, limit the height to the ATV's max of 720, but gain horizontal resolution. Your resultant file will have a resolution of 15xx x 720 or sometimes 17xx x 720 for ultra-wide aspect ratios, and will play perfectly on your ATV (I have only 1st gen units and get great results with this).

I simply select the ATV preset, open the Picture settings, make the necessary changes to the anamorphic type, the picture width and height, and code away.

I wasn't aware that ATV can output 1080p :p

Anyway, a 35% increase in resolution (for 1:2.4) certainly isn't bad. I thought of doing exactly this when hearing about the iPad 2's *potential* retina display.

tedmccann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
hey. I tried using the apple preset...and changing the anamorphic to custom at 1280 width. They still don't look right. The edges are a bit chunky...you have to stand back from the tv more than normal to feel right about it.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
hey. I tried using the apple preset...and changing the anamorphic to custom at 1280 width. They still don't look right. The edges are a bit chunky...you have to stand back from the tv more than normal to feel right about it.

Did you set the height to 720? That's the point of selecting custom anamorphic and the width isn't an issue.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I don't see the point of setting the width to 1280 if the source material is a DVD. Most DVDs are encoded at 720x480 (576 in the UK) and are anamorphic. So a 16:9 widescreen movie will end up 854x480.

Upping the resolution will just make the file size larger or the video "blockier". Just convert at 480p and allow the aTV2 do the upconverting.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't see the point of setting the width to 1280 if the source material is a DVD. Most DVDs are encoded at 720x480 (576 in the UK) and are anamorphic. So a 16:9 widescreen movie will end up 854x480.

Upping the resolution will just make the file size larger or the video "blockier". Just convert at 480p and allow the aTV2 do the upconverting.

The 1280 x 720 anamorphic setting is intended for high-def files only. For the reasons you cite, there is no need to adjust the ATV preset for standard-def files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.