Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schrysco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Love how fast & simple Mail is compared to the old version of Entourage I was using. The one thing that drives me nuts though is the lack of a manual or delayed "mark as read" feature.

With over a hundred emails coming in a day, the best & most efficient way for me to keep track of who I've replied to & what I've taken care of is to leave certain emails as "unread." Mail, however, marks everything as read the second you click on it.

I've seen a few people post about this, and the fact that it would be such a simple addition to the program is what I find so frustrating! I'm aware that I can close the preview pane if I don't want messages marked as read, but this works against my normal working style.

Any idea if there's a plug-in or some way to force Mail into only marking as read after 5 seconds, or after I manually mark each email with a keystroke?

My hopes are low, but I'd be so happy if there was a solution. Already sent Apple a message requesting the feature.

thanks!

schrysco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
No thoughts?

I was hoping the latest OSX update would have taken care of this issue, but alas it hasn't. Has anyone found any solutions or workarounds for this?

peterkirring

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
2 year anniversary?

New to mac, I DESPERATELY need this feature too!
Does anyone know if anything has happened re. this in the preceding two years / alternatively of any plug-ins that will fix?
Any help much appreciated!

peterkirring

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Hello miles01110.

Thanks for replying, but the problem is that (as posted in the original post) Mail marks an email as read the second you read it, or moves the marker over it.
In Outlook you can set an option so the read/unread status only changes upon user's mouse or keyboard input, or when replied/forwarded...

That's how I've managed my emails for years - a quick scan of the inbox, mark unimportant or non-action mails as read, and change to "show only unread mails" - which then becomes my to-do list for the day :)

Dizzler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
+1 there... off to get thunderbird

[2 min later...] but wait... just found trupreview plugin for mac mail http://christianserving.org/project/truepreview. Reviews are good. Downloading now.

Installed - configured to delay 5s by default. Ah, this is a good start to the week.

I never use Apple mail because it doesn't have features I want. This one looks interesting and going in the right direction. Let us know how you like it after a week or so of using it. I'd also like to know if it affects syncing with iPhone's mail. Or maybe not at all?

irha

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
+1 there... off to get thunderbird

[2 min later...] but wait... just found trupreview plugin for mac mail http://christianserving.org/project/truepreview. Reviews are good. Downloading now.

Installed - configured to delay 5s by default. Ah, this is a good start to the week.
Thank you so much for the link, I am a new mac user and trying to compare the default Mail app and Thunderbird against the Entourage that I already had installed, and almost gave up on Mail because of the lack of the feature to delay marking email as read. Thanks to TruePreview, Mail is at least decent and can see if I would like it or not.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.