Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I have a Mini running Plex and was wondering if anyone here has Hulu Plus with the same setup and could shed some light on a couple of questions I have ...

1. Is hulu plus compatible with Plex?
2. Does it stream in hi def?
3. Do I always have to do something like start Safari, log in and then start the Plex app to be able to access the "plus" material?
4. Any other issues I need to know about before I subscribe?

thanks in advance for any answers, thoughts on this.

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
1. Yes! I watch HP way more than Netflix.

2. Yes. HD but some shows are 480p if that is the maximum source they have. It intelligently switches resolutions on-the-fly depending on your stream. It is more reliable than Netflix's Silverlight browser, IMO. And watching the Daily Show on Hulu Plus is like night and day compared to the free Comedy Central feed.

3. I occasionally do have to login, yes. But once you do it, you shouldn't have to do it again. Maybe if you reboot your HTPC, I'm not sure.

4. Nope, works well.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks for the info TheHoff, looks like there's a Hulu Plus subscription in my near future!

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Forgot one thing... if you have an updated HTPC and it has the latest Flash player, you'll have to downgrade the Flash to a few versions back. Supposedly there is a fix coming for Plex but that is the situation right now; any external viewer that uses Flash won't play video unless you downgrade it. You can find the steps on the Plex forums if necessary.

jackson ja

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Forgot one thing... if you have an updated HTPC and it has the latest Flash player, you'll have to downgrade the Flash to a few versions back. Supposedly there is a fix coming for Plex but that is the situation right now; any external viewer that uses Flash won't play video unless you downgrade it. You can find the steps on the Plex forums if necessary.

A fix is supposedly in the works but there is a small app available (PlexFix) which resolves the issue for now. You can run the latest Flash in your browser but the app forces an older version to be used with Plex.

There are many known security concerns with older Flash versions.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Ok, I've signed up for Hulu Plus, but something seems to be wrong with running Hulu with Plex. What's happening is that I can watch various TV shows and it streams fine, but if I try to watch a movie (I was trying some of the Hulu Plus Criterion Collection stuff), it says "Plex Media Center .. Waiting for Response" and then nothing happens. It just kicks me back to the movie selections again. I've made sure that my username and password is correct in the Plex Hulu app, tried starting safari, logging into Hulu Plus and leaving that on in the background, restarting my computer. uninstalling the app and re-installing it.

What could I possibly be doing wrong??

(BTW, I have flash version 10.0.45.2 installed)

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Ok, I've signed up for Hulu Plus, but something seems to be wrong with running Hulu with Plex. What's happening is that I can watch various TV shows and it streams fine, but if I try to watch a movie (I was trying some of the Hulu Plus Criterion Collection stuff), it says "Plex Media Center .. Waiting for Response" and then nothing happens. It just kicks me back to the movie selections again. I've made sure that my username and password is correct in the Plex Hulu app, tried starting safari, logging into Hulu Plus and leaving that on in the background, restarting my computer. uninstalling the app and re-installing it.

What could I possibly be doing wrong??

(BTW, I have flash version 10.0.45.2 installed)

I've never watched a Hulu Plus movie. If you tell me an example title, I'll try it out. I only watch HP for TV and Netflix for movies.

My HP works pretty well except for the occasional "not available for your device" errors that hopefully will get bugfixed soon. I've never had the problem where it hangs as you described above watching TV.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I tried going to movies, classics, and then picked a Criterion Collection movie. I tried about 8 them, but they wouldn't stream. I picked the first couple there .... The 400 Blows, Modern Times, The Gold Rush, etc and had the same problem with all of them, but tv shows are just fine ..... it's really strange.

Also, I know if this matters, but I have NOT updated Plex to the very last build. I think I'm one right below 9.1.13 and have 1.8 or 1.7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.