Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aperantos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
London, U.K.
Hello,

I have my iTunes library stored on a NFS share mounted on my MacBook, this is the location I have set in the iTunes preferences where it is also set to manage the library.

Everything was fine until yesterday when I added some files. Rather than storing them in the Music sub-folder it stored them directly in the main top-level folder, as specified in the Preferences. Changing the Media Kind to Audiobooks (as that is what they were) made no difference.

This was in iTunes 10.1.1 which had previously worked okay. I upgraded in 10.1.2 to see if that helped, but the same thing was happening.

Even if I manually relocated the file to the correct location within the Audiobooks sub-folder, if I made any change to the metadata iTunes would automatically move it back to the top-level.

Thinking something might be corrupt in my database I decided to rebuild it: move the iTunes directory out of my home Music folder then import everything back using the XML file. It seemed to be going slow, but I left it running over night.

I wake up to find my media reimported except for the files it could not find (though annoyingly without telling me what those were so I could try to relocate them) and that it had moved all my music and audiobooks from their sub-folders into the top level. iPhone Apps were also missing.

Essentially it seems to have reverted to the filing system it used years ago when everything was stored in this way. I assume it has no mobile apps as it expects to find these in my home Music folder, which is where they were stored before Apple gave all media kinds a separate sub-folder.

Anyone have any idea what is going on, and more importantly how I can fix it so that it works the way it is supposed to?

Thanks,

Michael.

aperantos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
London, U.K.
make sure you have the option "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" checked

Both that and the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder" are selected. I have not changed any of the settings since relocating the library from an external drive to a server last year, at which time everything was working.

If anything it has to be because of that settings that iTunes has seen fit to move files. The problem is it seems to have reverted to the older system pre-iTunes 9 when everything was combined in one level, with just podcasts and video having their own folders at the same level of the the artists ones.

Michael.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.