Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moneypunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Hello,

Basically, me and the other half are planning on getting a Mac Pro for the home, and we both already have macbook pro's for when we work on-the-go.

Where I work, I can log in to any of the computers and have access to my work folders, music and pictures that I have on my "area".

Is it possible to create that kind on environment with the macs, through OS Lion Server, or anything else? I want to be able to login in on my macbook, create a PDF, then when I log into the Mac Pro at home it be there ready for me.

Perhaps I am being too demanding? but if there is a way i'd really like to know...thanks

PS: sorry if this is a stupid question!

hssky97

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2010
I guess you could do that....using Lion's server should be pretty easy....although It would be kind-of risky using the developer's preview(version seeded to developers as of the 24th) for a server. If you are a Dev I would wait until the Golden Master release of Lion or my recommendation wait until Lion comes out officially(Summer) and buy your macbook pro pre-installed w/OS X Lion. Hope I helped.....

-Hssky

Gnuff

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Norway
I don't really see why you would need a mac pro to accomplish this. I think you could manage this just as well with a mac mini, which would save you some of that sweet cash.

I have a mac mini (2010) under my tv, I run Openfire as a XMPP-server (Jabber) for me and some friends with a msn transport. On the machine I have an account for the server, so every where there is an ichat, I can connect to it with shared desktop.

I have Chax on ichat on the server for more features like auto-accept requests for sharing of desktops etc.

I have ssh enabled for when I need to start and stop apps and processes remotely.

I use no-ip.com with a domain added so I never have to remember the ip to the server.

And I have an external harddrive with movies and series connected to the mini, and I use Boxee as a front end with a apple remote.

I always have iTunes running in the background, and I have a couple of airport expresses around the apartment, so when we have a party etc, I can play music around the apartment, where I use my iPad with the iTunes remote app, and I can pass it around, and people can add the music they want to the playlist.

This is some of the stuff I use it for, and this is just regular Snow Leopard.
When Lion comes, I'll install Lion with the server enabled, and run some stuff like my own mail-server, iCal, dns and some stuff, but I'm happy for now.

I have some more stuff running as well, and even when playing big movie-files from the external HD, I never experience anny problems with the (speed?) of the machine.

As for access to files etc, you could just install an ftp server, or there might be some other options. Maby someone else have some tips on this.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Dropbox is probably the easiest way to keep files synced across a few machines. It works really well.

There's rumors that Apple will allow you to play iTunes media on all your devices from their central server soon. It may be announced along with the new iPad next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.