Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Which one is better? I know this has been asked before but with the new release we might have some new opinions.

I'm no expert, but I don't think either is better.

For color, the glossy will look better than the Anti-Glare.

However, it all depends on what you want out of it.

For me, for everyday use, I'm getting the glossy.

Jaimi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Guess if you use it outsidea lot, or sit right next to a south-facing window, the antiglare might be good. But for me, the colors sure are brighter and nicer on the glossy screen.

eaf7s

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
I MUCH prefer the antiglare overall but as I'm downsizing to the 13" this time around, it wasn't an option. Colors may not be as rich but...well...the lack of glare... :D

Although it's been about 3 years since I've had anything but antiglare so I'm sure it's all in what I get used to. I've never had a screen this small either but I can't wait to be able to throw my notebook in my shoulder bag (yes, shoulder bag, not a murse; I'm a woman...)

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Guess if you use it outsidea lot, or sit right next to a south-facing window, the antiglare might be good. But for me, the colors sure are brighter and nicer on the glossy screen.

+1

If you're going to be inside a lot go with glossy. Kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop, I plan to "work from home" in the park or in the patio with a coooold beer :D

tfa8rva

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Glossy vs Antiglare is a personal preference. Go to your local Apple store and try them both out and then decide. However, my vote is for antiglare.

Reclaim3r

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
PA
Whenever I got my first Mac back in 2007, the options were Glossy or Matte. You could pick either one with no price difference. I chose Matte and was very satisfied with my decision.

I plan on purchasing a new MBP soon, but I'm probably going with glossy just because paying $150 pains me too much (although the higher resolution would be very nice).

eaf7s

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
Whenever I got my first Mac back in 2007, the options were Glossy or Matte. You could pick either one with no price difference. I chose Matte and was very satisfied with my decision.

I plan on purchasing a new MBP soon, but I'm probably going with glossy just because paying $150 pains me too much (although the higher resolution would be very nice).

For 17" yeah but I just don't think the difference is profound at all on a 15". I'd go so far as to say that I don't even notice it.

bastienvans

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
FL
I had the same question a few hours ago today before purchasing my first mbp. I went to my local apple store and positioned a 15" glossy and antiglare side by side. I went with the antiglare. Although the screen is not as bright as the glossy, I love having zero reflections while watching movies/every day browsing. I also do quite a bit of photoshop and while the colors on the glossy are more vibrant, the colors on the antiglare are closer to reality. My advice, go to your local apple store before purchasing. I could have been typing on my brand new mbp right now but had to comprise and get it shipped from Shanghai. (my apple store didn't stock base 15" with antiglare)

just my 0.02 cents

edit: I've been on a matte lcd 1920x1200 monitor for years on my desktop. Antiglare + higher resolution is probably as close as I'll get to that.

Last edited:

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
I've tried the anti-glare models in an Apple Store and couldn't get myself to like it a bit, the colors look washed out. Guess I'm sticking with glossy screens for now.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I prefer the glossy screen ... but for some that use their laptop outside a lot, the anti glare would be the way to go

Dtp8513

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Does the anti glare actually work decently outside in bright sunlight? id have to imagine its not that big of a difference, but ive never had one..

pyroo

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2007
There is a big difference in the glare when you have the glossy and anti-glare to compare side by side. I thought that the glossy was the way to go because apple said so, and I agreed with them at first because the color was so vibrant and sharp. But after using it for a while, the glare was too annoying, I hate having to adjust the screen every time the glare is situated where I was looking at.

I sold the glossy and got a hi-res anti-glare and I have never been happier. Like what most other users have posted in older threads, the color of the anti-glare is just as clear and vibrant, and you don't get the glare. I can use dark wallpapers now without worrying about the glare and comes with it.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Looking at them both, glossy looks so much nicer compared to anti-glare. anti-glare feels more washed out and slightly blurry if you look really close.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Anti-glare, all the way. These glare screens are horrible. I'm a professional photographer who travels a lot, uses my computer on location while tethered, and I also do remote editing when not at my Mac Pro (with 2 23" matte screens). There is no way I'd buy one of these mirrors. Which, pains me to say, because today I was ready to buy a new 13" until I realized that Apple again stuck it with such a bad screen. The glossy screens misrepresent color, cause eye strain, and are a constant struggle with maintaining vision on the objects in the screen vs. everything happening directly behind me.

Here, have a look at the attached photo I snapped today from a shoot. Those are the people standing and kneeling behind me at the location. This was one of the MB Pros my school has that I used during the session. It's rather telling (I snapped this with my iPhone while hunched under a large jacket just to eliminate all of the ambient light that was preventing me from even being able to see the screen).

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 1,365

babyt

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
texas
Looking at them both, glossy looks so much nicer compared to anti-glare. anti-glare feels more washed out and slightly blurry if you look really close.

That is so untrue
I have the antiglare and my roomie has the glossy and my antiglare looks crisper just for the fact it HAS NO GLARE.
Even in a dimly lit room hers has a glare on it.

Beige Panda

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
*picture*
Whoa. I knew the glossy was bad but not THAT bad.

As this poster said, though, I don't like being able to see myself while editing or playing starcraft, and the glossy screen makes colors look more vibrant than they really are. This is obviously intentional for your average consumer, but there are those who prefer to see things more realistically for work purposes. Personal preference I guess, but I'll be going with anti-glare.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Whoa. I knew the glossy was bad but not THAT bad.

As this poster said, though, I don't like being able to see myself while editing or playing starcraft, and the glossy screen makes colors look more vibrant than they really are. This is obviously intentional for your average consumer, but there are those who prefer to see things more realistically for work purposes. Personal preference I guess, but I'll be going with anti-glare.

It's just as bad with their Cinema Display. When it comes time to buy a new monitor, I can't look to Apple any longer. I've casually began researching Dell and NEC monitors as possible replacements. Apple's 27" screen looks nice, but again, if I'm editing a lowkey photograph, I don't need to be seeing myself in the multitude of shadows. I want to be seeing the shadows.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
I got the 2010 glossy and I've been regretting it for a while now. REALLY wish I could trade for an anti-glare version.

DanFreemanPhoto

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
I don't know how anyone can live with the glossy screen!

I'm not a professional photographer, but I'm a bloody keen amateur, the anti-glare is so much better.

I would only recommend the glossy if you use the mac in a 100% dark room, but even then you have a problem as you can still see your reflection!

EDIT: Another thing as well....I would seriously consider an iMac to replace my PC, but as they dont offer anti-glare on them, I won't be buying one.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
It would be nice if they had enhanced the new 2011 macbooks with improved anti-glare such that it is more like the macbook Air's display

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Isnt the iMac display similar to macbook pro in that its glass, edge to edge, and ultra glossy too? Why don't people complain about that being unusable? Or is there actually a difference?

DanFreemanPhoto

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Isnt the iMac display similar to macbook pro in that its glass, edge to edge, and ultra glossy too? Why don't people complain about that being unusable? Or is there actually a difference?

Probably because it isnt portable, so the issue with reflections isnt as bad.

But if you read a lot of the reviews of the Apple displays, anyone who uses them professionally says the same thing - they're almost unusable due to the reflections!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.