Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:36 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Mac OS X Lion: Drops PowerPC Emulation, Adds QuickTime Pro Features, Much More

As developers delve into the early build of Mac OS X Lion 10.7, a large number of smaller features are being revealed. One discussion thread seems to be compiling these findings. There seems to be a lot of nice new features being described. A couple of particular interest include:

- PowerPC (Rosetta) emulation is no longer offered. That means if you have any PowerPC applications they won't be able to run in Mac OS X Lion. You can determine if you are still running PowerPC applications by going into Applications -> Utilities -> System Profiler -> Applications and viewing "By Kind". This will show you which applications you have that are running under PowerPC. Rosetta had already become an optional install in Snow Leopard, and it appears Apple will be removing support for it entirely in Lion.

- QuickTime Player finally re-incorporates some features from QuickTime Pro. New features cited include Copy/Paste, Insert Clip, Crop Video, Rotate Video, Resize, Trim, More Export options.

- TUAW points to a video walk through of Lion from Ian Bauters that gives an overview:

Other highlights from the growing discussion thread details many smaller updates and features that users have found in Mac OS X Lion. An abbreviated list includes:
Quote:

- Preview is a powerhouse app, you can even sign your document just by holding a piece of paper up to the camera with your signature (it saves it for you!) (screenshot)
- There's animations for everything, slick simple transitions that remind you of the polish of the iphone. Stuff that makes it easier to understand what your OS is doing with visuals
- You can turn the lights back (open application indicator) on in the dock (screenshot)
- iChat supports Yahoo Messenger Video and Voice chat
- Address Book also with "classic" view
- Much More
Finally, a variety of videos have popped up on YouTube showing various features: Flash is not Pre-Installed, Safari, Mail - Classic View, Mail, Launch Pad, iCal, Finder, Address Book.

Article Link: Mac OS X Lion: Drops PowerPC Emulation, Adds QuickTime Pro Features, Much More
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:43 PM   #2
portishead
Banned

I promise you just because Quicktime Pro isn't included in this release, it will be able to be installed in either final release, or with Final Cut Studio. There are certain things that need to be done for professionals that require Quicktime Pro.
portishead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:43 PM   #3
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Liking the polish. Some of these things seem a bit unnecessary (changing the folder view buttons to a slider?), and some a bit...un-Apple? (fullscreen Safari is wasteful, for example)...and yet I rather like the latter.

Really dislike the new address book. It's like Apple threw all UI standards out of the window. I'm okay with software that tries to appear like a real life object (such as a book) on a touch screen device, but it's bad for user interoperability on a keyboard-and-mouse PC where you should be able to tell how to do everything at-a-glance based on the consistent UI of most applications of the operating system.
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Orange™
Banned

Some Questions...

WTF is "PowerPC Emulation"? Classic went away with Leopard I thought! UPDATE: That sucks, first Classic and now Rosetta? You're moving the wrong way APPLE!!! Another question though, what the difference between Classic and Rosetta.

Also, who honestly uses Quicktime anymore? VLC is free and open source, is there anything Quicktime can do that VLC can't? Also, when I use the two, Quicktime uses more computational resources.
Orange™ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:47 PM   #5
jake4ever
macrumors regular

NO POWERPC?! aww man....
jake4ever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:47 PM   #6
tac22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFLPraxis View Post
Liking the polish. Some of these things seem a bit unnecessary (changing the folder view buttons to a slider?), and some a bit...un-Apple? (fullscreen Safari is wasteful, for example)...and yet I rather like the latter.

Really dislike the new address book. It's like Apple threw all UI standards out of the window.
full screen safari isn't wasteful at all on a smaller screen. That being said, having a 27 inch screen myself, there is absolutely no need for me to put safari in full screen.

The better implication of spaces (desktops) with different desktop wallpaper and easy switching is plain awesome
tac22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:48 PM   #7
scotty321
macrumors regular

Looks like I have to find another application to replace Quicken 2007, with all the same functionality (investments, scheduled transactions, tax exporting, etc.)
scotty321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

It's cool with me they drop PPC... I assume it will make future development easier and the OS will be much slicker without that overhead. It's been 4-5 years... time to move forward.

Looking forward to seeing more.
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:49 PM   #9
gmcalpin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange™ View Post
Also, who honestly uses Quicktime anymore? VLC is free and open source, is there anything Quicktime can do that VLC can't? Also, when I use the two, Quicktime uses more computational resources.
I use Quicktime all the time. Half the movie trailers on the internet are Quicktime movies.
gmcalpin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:50 PM   #10
scotty321
macrumors regular

Quote:
Really dislike the new address book. It's like Apple threw all UI standards out of the window. I'm okay with software that tries to appear like a real life object (such as a book) on a touch screen device, but it's bad for user interoperability on a keyboard-and-mouse PC where you should be able to tell how to do everything at-a-glance based on the consistent UI of most applications of the operating system.
It says that you can choose the "classic view" for the address book.
scotty321 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:51 PM   #11
gregjsmith
macrumors newbie

No PPC emulation? How am I supposed to run Quicken 2007?
gregjsmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:51 PM   #12
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
For the first time, I'm ticked off about dropping something related to PPC. I understood why Apple dropped support for it in favor of Intel. It was something that needed to be done, and it made sense.

However, dropping Rosetta? No way. That's nonsensical. The only reason I need it is for Microsoft Office, which I carried over through Time Machine when I transferred my stuff over from my iBook.... But Office is a big deal for me, and dropping Rosetta means if I want Office, I need to shell out for it.

Absurd. I refuse to re-buy Office. I just may keep Snow Leopard then. For the first time, even after the PPC fiasco that pissed everyone else off, I'm finally irritated.

Quote:
...Another question though, what the difference between Classic and Rosetta...
Classic is OS9 and is an entire Mac OS before OSX. Rosetta is only an emulation that ran on Intel machines which allowed you to run things like PPC versions of Microsoft Office on an Intel Mac - like I do today.
SkippyThorson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:53 PM   #13
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
Quote:
WTF is "PowerPC Emulation"? Classic went away with Leopard I thought! UPDATE: That sucks, first Classic and now Rosetta? You're moving the wrong way APPLE!!! Another question though, what the difference between Classic and Rosetta.

Classic emulated OS 9 applications. Rosetta emulated applications that run on the PowerPC processor. Remember those G3, G4 and G5 Macs? Those are PowerPC computers.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:56 PM   #14
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

While there's nothing forcing you to use fullscreen, I think it's a definite plus for notebooks. Even on my 15" MacBook Pro, which isn't exactly tiny, there have been many times when I've wanted Safari in proper fullscreen (i.e. hiding the Dock and menu bar). Chrome has had fullscreen from the beginning and it's one of the best extra features, in my opinion.

Regarding the new UI styles, I think it's about time that many of the old standards got re-written. Being an iPhone, iPad and Mac user, I'm all for the three devices sharing very similar interfaces. It also makes perfect sense for Apple. Consumers would welcome everything working in a similar fashion. Consistency is key.
MarcBook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:56 PM   #15
enberg
macrumors regular

Quote:

Am I the only one to find these two different viewpoints coming from a single poster hilarious?
enberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:57 PM   #16
JonHimself
macrumors 68000

I've seen the mention of the lights under running applications and how it seems to be a concern for people. Based on the way they're promoting apps saving states and launching instantly, I wonder if it's just Apple trying to condition people to getting away from the idea of an app "running" and thinking more about just having the applications there ready to be used whenever you want (assuming they do launch instantly - or at least close to instantly). With the ability to save states I'm guessing they probably just want people to not worry about if it's open or not.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:57 PM   #17
Orange™
Banned

It's the Year 2011

Why can't an OS run Lion, Rosetta, and Classic? Even partial versions would be ok, perhaps partitioning? I find it hard to believe Apple is incapable of doing this, in fact, I find it to be a downright lie. I want to be able to put in a game from 1990 and play it, I don't see why this is now impossible.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:57 PM   #18
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
That's MP3Gain I can kiss goodbye to.
roadbloc is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:57 PM   #19
allpar
macrumors 6502

"However, dropping Rosetta? No way. That's nonsensical. "

I fully agree!

First, and mainly, there's Eudora. There is a large community of Eudora people still, and there's no good substitute. There's MailForge, which may work reliably someday, and there's "Eudora 8," which ... doesn't deserve to be mentioned.

Then there's Office. I paid for Office 2008; however, it doesn't work well with many programs, in terms of copy/paste, and is often ... weird. I don't have confidence that Office 2011 will be any better. I prefer Office 2004, and will stick with it as long as I can. Apparently that's not very long if I choose to stay current.

I am VERY disappointed in Apple. If I could figure out how to rate this a "negative" I would.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:57 PM   #20
portishead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post
Looks like I have to find another application to replace Quicken 2007, with all the same functionality (investments, scheduled transactions, tax exporting, etc.)
Yup, I realized this last night. I have about 4 years of data in it. I tried iBank but couldn't get my data to import. Not sure what I'm going to do yet...
portishead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:58 PM   #21
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Classic was OS 9 support, and yes, that went away with Leopard.

Rosetta is support for OS X applications that can only run on G3/G4/G5 processors.
16 GB iPhone
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:58 PM   #22
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHimself View Post
I've seen the mention of the lights under running applications and how it seems to be a concern for people. Based on the way they're promoting apps saving states and launching instantly, I wonder if it's just Apple trying to condition people to getting away from the idea of an app "running" and thinking more about just having the applications there ready to be used whenever you want (assuming they do launch instantly - or at least close to instantly). With the ability to save states I'm guessing they probably just want people to not worry about if it's open or not.
Apple absolutely doesn't want you to think about apps running or not running anymore in Lion. The people who care are the ones who like to micromanage things. In theory, Apple is saying that you don't have to worry about that. Apps will unload and save state when they aren't needed.

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:59 PM   #23
Orange™
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enberg View Post
Am I the only one to find these two different viewpoints coming from a single poster hilarious?
I've wooed many a user before, you are not alone. I rephrased my post below.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:01 PM   #24
giladavni
macrumors member

Lion is just awesome !!
evebody, lets take it back to the mac !

don't worry I will get the iPhone 5 to, as soon as it will be released
giladavni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:02 PM   #25
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
WTF is "PowerPC Emulation"? Classic went away with Leopard I thought!
Classic did 68k emulation (the CPU architecture of the very first Macs). Rosetta emulates a variant of the IBM Power CPU architecture, the CPUs used in the very first PowerMacs. Current Macs use Intel 64-bit ia32/x86 architecture CPUs.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion