Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

134951-safari.jpg

Starting in Mac OS X Lion, we've learned that Apple has started utilizing WebKit2 in their Safari web browser. The advanced version of Apple's Webkit engine was first announced in April of 2010. WebKit2 is described as a new API layer for WebKit that offers both speed and security improvements:
WebKit2 is a new API layer for WebKit designed from the ground up to support a split process model, where the web content (JavaScript, HTML, layout, etc) lives in a separate process from the application UI. This model is very similar to what Google Chrome offers, with the major difference being that we have built the process split model directly into the framework, allowing other clients of WebKit to use it.
For the end user, the result should be a faster and more stable browsing experience. If a webpage crashes or hangs, only that single tab is affected rather than the whole browser. Subjective reports from early end users have indicated that the new Safari seems to run smoother.

Google's Chrome browser introduced a similar sandboxing model when it was introduced.

Article Link: Mac OS X Lion's Safari is Snappier and More Stable Thanks to WebKit2

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Woot

That's why Macs are so cool to begin with, when a program crashes, only that program crashes. Now, only a portion of the program will crash? GO :apple:

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
To be honest, I love safari on the mac.

But, the version that's shipped in Mac OS X Lion seems to have more bugs than Windows Vista. It's a very buggy release.

- Not snappier at all
- There's a simple question here: Sometimes the webpages refresh when toggled; similar to iOS's safari. Did anybody notice this themselves?
It would be sad if Apple made it more like iOS to save the onboard memory.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
If released in April 2010, why not incorporate it into Safari 5?
Though I like Safari in Mac OS X, I still find it fairly sluggish in its browser-specific (not internet connectivity specific) operations.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

notabadname said:
Safari needs this. If there is an App I have to Force Quit more than any other, it's Safari.

Are you running flash a lot?

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
To be honest, I love safari on the mac.

But, the version that's shipped in Mac OS X Lion seems to have more bugs than Windows Vista. It's a very buggy release.

- Not snappier at all
- There's a simple question here: Sometimes the webpages refresh when toggled; similar to iOS's safari. Did anybody notice this themselves?
It would be sad if Apple made it more like iOS to save the onboard memory.

Runs great on my iMac. Way faster than the one currently on Snow Leopard.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
+1 internets to arn for working snappy into the title.

Safari is still my favourite browser, even though I like some other things on the other browsers. I just keep coming back to Safari for the elegance of the experience. There are little things as well - if you use -vendor-transform to rotate an image then Safari will anti-alias the edges, whereas other browsers will leave the edges jagged.

As an interesting point Google's version basically works in their browser, whereas Apple is giving the split process model the community, which means for example the browser on Blackberry 6 or the Webkit based browser on the HP TouchPad can also benefit from these WebKit developments.

Kind of flips the thing on its head about Google being open and Apple being closed.

enberg

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
Safari 5.0.3 never _ever_ crashes for me. Of course, I don't have flash installed.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Runs great on my iMac. Way faster than the one currently on Snow Leopard.

Possibly. I'm using it on my macbook late 2008 ed. with base specs.

There's one more thing that bugs me.

When toggling b/w times sometimes a video that's being played in one of the tabs suddenly disappears. I can hear it but it disappears.

I dunno :|

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Sounds great. I've been using Chrome the last few weeks because I've been having some problems with Safari. Chrome has it's advantages, but overall I really miss Safari. It's always been my favorite browser.

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
I've been using Lion for awhile now and I can confirm it is anything but more stable. Had a couple of crashes and rendering often looks strange

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The sandboxing will make the browser both more crash-resistant and more secure - both of which are good. However, as sometimes happens with these sorts of changes, websites that worked in older Safari versions will probably break in Lion's version. Oh well, what can you do? It's a tradeoff Apple's willing to take, and one I fully support.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Safari still doesn't handle certain flash based applications very well, in particular some of the apps on Facebook.

The default font size for Safari is quite small when being viewed on the 27" iMac, the default font size could probably be adjusted for the larger standard monitor sizes that we have now.

Aside from that I'm really happy with Safari. I keep extensions to a minimum as well, too many extensions and Safari gets crappy.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
I've been using Lion for awhile now and I can confirm it is anything but more stable. Had a couple of crashes and rendering often looks strange

It's a first preview. From what i see it runs great on some hardware. it's still 4-5 moths away fromrelease. Plenty of time.

to1986

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Had a chance to play around on 5.1, and the difference is significant. It renders webpages considerably faster, and pages that the previous version of safari would struggle with, runs beautifully on 5.1 Can't wait for final release so I can have it to myself :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.