Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
One thing that's peculiar that I've noticed is that in mission control, my 3 spaces tend to come up in the wrong order.

I always keep the main thing I'm doing in space 1, Mail in 2, and iCal in 3. Mission Control seems to display them as Desktop 1, Desktop 3, and Desktop 2, it's very odd.

Anyone know why Lion might do this, and how to correct it? It's not a big issue, just a weird quirk.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-02-28 at 1.42.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-02-28 at 1.42.29 AM.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 224

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I have a quick feeling that it's meant to arrange itself in how often you use the space, or it could be completely random.

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
It seems to imply to me that a planned (future) feature will be assigning a custom name to each space, and then they are displayed in the order of activity.

CarsonGallo

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Oakdale, New York
LIKE iOS

It works the same way Application Icons are ordered in the fast app switcher in iOS. Its going by the order in which they were last used. Right now I'm not really comfortable with that feature, but I can see why they added it. Just hope that they make it optional in the final build.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
It works the same way Application Icons are ordered in the fast app switcher in iOS. Its going by the order in which they were last used. Right now I'm not really comfortable with that feature, but I can see why they added it. Just hope that they make it optional in the final build.

Oh man that would be terrible. :( I've been using 4-finger swipe on the ipad (4.3 beta) for a while now and it does the same thing. I don't even like it there! Makes things so confusing because the spaces are always moving around and there's no visual indicator to show where they all are. I have to believe that Apple has a better plan for this. I think the final version will be much more intuitive.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
No matter how many awesome features there are in Lion, THIS is THE thing that will make me not upgrade if they don't change it.

Jhingha

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
No matter how many awesome features there are in Lion, THIS is THE thing that will make me not upgrade if they don't change it.

you will upgrade anyway.
Not like this post is gonna change the universe (and with that, apple)

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
Then file a bug report with Apple. (You can use their Bug Tracker to bring up unwanted functionality or changes, not just actual bugs.)

But now that I understand why Spaces are seemingly displayed out of order, I can't say I dislike it nor do I think Apple will change it. Assuming a later build lets us assign custom names to each Space/Desktop (and it just seems like something that will come later on), then I'm actually going to like it quite a bit.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
To me, it's really not that big of a deal. The majority of the time, I just CMD-# to jump between spaces anyway. Hell, I'm not even opposed to the idea of reordering spaces depending on how often they're used. The only think that I REALLY dislike about it is that the spaces are labelled out of order, it's just aesthetically displeasing.

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
To me, it's really not that big of a deal. The majority of the time, I just CMD-# to jump between spaces anyway. Hell, I'm not even opposed to the idea of reordering spaces depending on how often they're used. The only think that I REALLY dislike about it is that the spaces are labelled out of order, it's just aesthetically displeasing.
So you don't mind it but you dislike it? You contradicted yourself.

But Apple doesn't usually go for that kind of thing, either. And the actual name of the space/desktop was never even displayed in Snow Leopard. Because it's so prominent, I continue to believe that a future build will add a feature to let us name each space/desktop. They could even do an iOS-like feature where it analyzes what apps are on each space and thus suggests a name, like Productivity.

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
We're getting into semantics now. I never said I didn't mind it.

I'm not opposed to the idea of reordering spaces (as long as they add a more coherent reasoning to it). The only think that bothers me is that the naming is Desktop 1, Desktop 3, Desktop 2 - it's just aesthetically displeasing to me.

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
I agree with you 100%. It just seems as if they're meant to be renamed. If this isn't a feature by the next build, I'll probably file a bug report with Apple.

They need to at least standardize between "Spaces" or "Desktops."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.