Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IoanLucian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Hi guys and girls,

I need some help to discover which is the usual keyboard shortcut for "Insert" type actions on Mac computers.

The problem is that I am developing an application that runs both on Windows and on Mac. And to insert empty lines within a table I am using the "Insert" key on Windows but there is no such key on Mac. Still my Mac users want a shortcut for this and I do not know what to use. Is there a standard for it? Or what other solutions did you find in other applications that you used?

I appreciate any kind of help. Thanks,
Lucian

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
I was looking for the key equivalent for insert a few months before (I wanted to play an old game through DOSbox an a function was in Insert and the game didn't had a change key option).

I ended up after a good google search that there is neither any equivalent key neither the function of insert at all in macOSX.

To be honest I'm not really missing it, few people where using it and I'm up with computers since the late DOS days and never used this key (ok not never, I used it in some games like the one mentioned above :p).

But maybe I'm wrong, as I said this is my conclusion from a google search.

IoanLucian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
OK but what shortcuts are other Mac applications using for "insert" type actions? I still need to set a shortcut for my "insert empty row in table" action for my users...

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
OK but what shortcuts are other Mac applications using for "insert" type actions? I still need to set a shortcut for my "insert empty row in table" action for my users...

I really don't understand, what I know insert is for switch between the insert character typewriting (where you type something and the new letters are pushing any text after them) and overtype where the new text you type is deleting the text after it and replacing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insert_key

If I understand correctly you are programming an application and need a key to do a specific action, right? The why don't you just use a new shortcut key?
Like for example command+i ?

IoanLucian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Then why don't you just use a new shortcut key?Like for example command+i ?
Because I would like to use a common shortcut that users are used to it on other applications too. And this is what I want to find out... which is the most appropriate shortcut? Command-I it is used more for actions like "Import"...

I was thinking to use Command-Enter but I do not know if it is a good choice. :)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Excel on the Mac appears to use Control-I to insert a new row. That's a bit unusual for a Mac program, of course, where the Command key is usually use for commands, but you could use that. Numbers doesn't provide a keyboard shortcut for inserting a row.

jW

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
A quick google suggests FN+Enter is the equivalent of a PC's INSERT key but I have no way to test this, and am away from my Mac...

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
On modern computers (even PCs) the Insert key doesn't do anything, so there's not really a keyboard equivalent for doing nothing.

Yes I know how the Insert key originally functioned, but it doesn't work that way anymore... at least not in any program I know of. Open up a Word doc and hit the Insert key. Does the cursor switch to overwrite mode? It doesn't for me.

I'll go along with using command-I for the keyboard shortcut OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.