Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
When I play music from the iPod (on the iPad), the music plays through the external speakers. All other sounds ONLY play through my headphones.

This happened recently. I thought that one of my game's audio settings were off, but discovered that they were fine. Then I put on my headphones and heard all of the game and keyboard sounds as normal. When I disconnect the headphones, I get no audio except for music from the iPod app.

I take my iPad to the gym and use the (wireless) headphones weekly. I wonder if maybe this usage caused a glitch. I rebooted it a couple of times to no avail.

I plan to go to the Apple store for a resolve, but thought I'd also share this here to see if I'm the only one this has happened to. And I mentioned the wireless headphones just to see if maybe that has something to do with it? I doubt it, but who knows?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Yes, definitely check your mute switch and volume, the volume control for the speaker is separate from the headphone jack, it will remember the last setting for each.

I had a glitch with an app recently, sounds not working correctly. I tried power cycles and the whole bit. I gave up, connected it to power charger for the night, next day it was fine...no idea what happened. Maybe iOS 4 is glitchy still:confused:

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Is the "muute" switch on, by any chance?

Today is the day that I lose my Tech Savvy card and pride all-in-one. But I guess it's better to look like an idiot online than at the Apple store.

*sigh* Yes, the mute button was on. :rolleyes:

Thank you. I am leaving with my tail tucked between my legs now...

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Yes, definitely check your mute switch and volume, the volume control for the speaker is separate from the headphone jack, it will remember the last setting for each.

I had a glitch with an app recently, sounds not working correctly. I tried power cycles and the whole bit. I gave up, connected it to power charger for the night, next day it was fine...no idea what happened. Maybe iOS 4 is glitchy still:confused:

I change cases every time I take it to the gym, so I must have accidentally switched it on. I didn't even know that it existed. Thank you both. I am very embarrassed, but happy :eek:

Themayneline

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
My problem / solution was the side switch

Sometime after I updated the os on my iPad I noticed I lost sound out of the speakers. 90% of my apps would not play through the speakers. I could still play sound from the iPod app through my speakers. It turned out it was tha pesky Side switch. I checked my settings.

I went into settings -> General -> use side switch. It was set to lock rotation. So I figured that it now had nothing to do with sound. WRONG! I changed it from lock orientation to mute. Bam it worked all sound can come out of either the speakers or the headphones.

The boys and girls in apple land must have messed up the functionality on the switch when they upgraded the os.

I hope this helps someone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.