Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
So, I ordered a white iPhone 4 replacement front cover, and I took apart my entire phone the minute it came. Of course, it was then I realized I would have to buy an entire new LCD assembly to get the white cover to work, so I reluctantly put my iPhone back together. When I put the logic board back on, the digitizer cable kept getting pinched under the screen so every time I would have to take everything apart again and make sure the digitizer cable wasn't being pinched as it was fed through the base. This took three times before it was completely out, but the cable was kind of folded from being pressed against the inside. Nevertheless, I put the rest of the iPhone back together.

Towards the end, I mixed up my screws and didn't know what went where. So I had to guess which ones fit best and two holes wouldn't take any screw so I had to leave two pieces unscrewed. They seemed relatively unimportant. So, I put the rest back together and turned it on. It was then I realized the touch screen wouldn't work when touching a small section of the top quarter of the screen. When I touch there, it ignores the touch and goes to the areas around it. So I have two small rows that don't respond at all. Why is this? Is it because of the pinched cable (it's not being pinched anymore)? Or maybe the connector isn't pushed in all the way? Or could it be the missing screws? I already tried restoring the device, please help!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Hmmm... How about going to one of the fix-it sites and see if their online guides can assist reassembly? I don't remember the site but I've seen some detailed step-by-step instructions. If not, you can send it to them for repair.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Also, geniuses will definitely be able to tell that you opened it so the warranty is out.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Is there any way to like tell what size a screw is? To follow the ifixit guide? Or can I buy iPhone 4 replacement screws? And I know I can't get it fixed anymore.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Please, does anybody know what's wrong? My home button has randomly started just not working, haha. The touchscreen is still messed up at the top.

Is it because I'm missing some of the screws? If so, where can I find replacement ones? I've searched all throughout Google.

This is annoying the hell out of me, I can hardly use my phone, anyone?

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
You probably broke something inside that cable. As for the home button.. no idea. Your best bet might be to send it off to one of the third party repair places.

davidchoi

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
I did a color conversion for my iPhone 4 too and my touch screen is so messed up too. It registers mass amounts of touches when my finger is hovering over the touch screen!

OP did you ever get yours fixed? I heard if you push the digitizer cord in the back pretty hard it fixes everything but I'm afraid to try.

Plus I'm getting white dime shaped spots on the top of my screen that expands when I apply pressure to that area...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.