Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
Not bad. I bought one recently that was a couple weeks old with the case for $425 shipped.

ViviUO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 4, 2009
Not bad. I bought one recently that was a couple weeks old with the case for $425 shipped.

Very nice, I am going to wait until the end of the auction, what do you think I should put in as a max bid?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
It's not a bad deal for the seller.

Not so good a deal for a savvy buyer when a refurb 16GB Wifi is $429+tax shipped free from Apple.com

A cynical person might wonder if the ebay seller had come onto MR to feign asking an "is this a good deal" question to attempt to entice someone else to bid since the auction has only one bidder with about 90 minutes left. Glad I'm not a cynical person.

Davichi

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I sold my iPad 16GB wifi + case for 380 dollars... last week. This is not a OMG deal. I would suggest wait for 1-2 weeks. As soon as iPad 2 comes out, the price will drop. The case? It will also drop. Because no one will be asking for iPad 1. It's all about iPad 2.

Do you really need that dock? It comes with the house charger already. Do you really need another charger?

I strongly suggest buying any apple products from apple unless they are offering a huge OMG deal. You have to remember that apple gives you a full 1 year warranty deal with no cosmetic damage on the device.

Can this seller do that? No. It won't come with full warranty.

It is all up to you.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Some people are saying that we'll see a $399 price point for the basic iPad 2 tomorrow so I'd wait.

"People" are saying all sorts of things, but the likelihood that Apple will drop the low-end iPad's price to $399 is next to nil. Having said that, if you're willing to buy used, prices are likely to drop.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah if you bid now I think you will be losing money because the second the iPad 2 is announced, demand will plummet for the iPad 1 and you will have paid more for something you could have gotten for maybe even only 300 dollars. I would definitely wait.

fanboy05

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
I wouldnt spend that much... I would bet a NEW ipad will be the same price. extras are nice, but I wouldnt go over 350, even with extra's. as of tomorrow there will be more options and you will know the details.... people who are selling today are hoping you wont realize that in all likelyhood a new ipad1 will be 399 tomorrow.

Davichi

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I love how seller says "I am selling because I don't need."

BS...

You are selling it because apple is announcing a new one tomorrow.

Usual BS.

To op: If you are asking yourself a question like "should I get this?"

You know that you want it, but you have a feeling that it might not be a good deal. Trust your instinct. It is not a good deal. Don't be cheap with apple products. Buy refurbished from apple or buy a new one.

New one will be most likely going to be 399 dollars and apple will slash refurbished model down to go below 350 dollars. If that happens, then this seller's deal is an absolutely garbage.

I sold mine last week. I love how this person is selling 24 hours before announcement, but wants to make at least 80% of his original cost.

Seriously, this is a rip off.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
"People" are saying all sorts of things, but the likelihood that Apple will drop the low-end iPad's price to $399 is next to nil.
Such a price point would absolutely make sense to do. You could just include only 8GB of flash memory and boom, instant sales. Besides, people don't really store their music on a tablet anyway. They stream, browse, and read books, which don't need that storage space.

Also, it's not just anybody...

http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/01/what-to-expect-from-apples-ipad-2-announcement-tomorrow/

Davichi

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
BGR prediction should be taken as a grain of salt.

BGR predicted what will happen to MBP update last week and most of them were not true.

I agree with some of their predictions, yes. But, 399 dollars price point? Get real.

There is a price point that apple cannot across on iPad. If they sell iPad for 399 dollars, then people will wonder why ipod touch is in 399 dollars price range.

iPad wi-fi will be most likely stay at 499 dollars.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Such a price point would absolutely make sense to do. You could just include only 8GB of flash memory and boom, instant sales. Besides, people don't really store their music on a tablet anyway. They stream, browse, and read books, which don't need that storage space.

Also, it's not just anybody...

http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/01/what-to-expect-from-apples-ipad-2-announcement-tomorrow/

Apple could drop it to $299 and sell even more. Or $199.... But none of that's going to happen. This is just so much wishful thinking. Apple's materials cost is somewhere north of $200 a unit, so $499 is a pretty darn good deal. Apple's not running a charity.

Davichi

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
iPad is still about a year old device. It took apple money and time to develop this product from the ground up...

Parts and labor costs were estimated for an iPad, but those research development and marketing costs were never added...

iPad is priced very aggressively at 499 dollars. Look at the competition. Who has a tablet that is as good as iPad and priced at 499 dollars?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Such a price point would absolutely make sense to do. You could just include only 8GB of flash memory and boom, instant sales.

Perhaps; this is done in the iphone arena because there are other low-price smartphone alternatives.

In the tablet arena, there's just not a viable sub-$500 contender.

The balance Apple would have to figure out is whether they'd net more revenue in sales of a low-end unit than they're lose in cannibalization of the $500 unit.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Perhaps; this is done in the iphone arena because there are other low-price smartphone alternatives.

In the tablet arena, there's just not a viable sub-$500 contender.

The balance Apple would have to figure out is whether they'd net more revenue in sales of a low-end unit than they're lose in cannibalization of the $500 unit.

At the recent shareholders meeting Apple disclosed that there's been a huge halo effect from iPhone sales - so people who have purchased iPhones are more likely to buy another Apple product. Therefore it makes sense for Apple to lure those buyers in any way they can. And given the enormous margin they have when you count carrier subsidies the 3GS makes great business sense. It makes little business sense for sales of iPads at greatly reduced cost. $499 is a very competitive price point, especially if improvements are coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.