Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mangos86

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
More than likely it will format the drive when updating the firmware, but that's cool because u have a backup, right? This is probably something that u could have deduced from the instructions that more than likely came with the firmware download or on Intels site. Which begs the question, why are you posting this here and are you completely incapable of following directions and/or researching things on your own?

nastymrx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
More than likely it will format the drive when updating the firmware, but that's cool because u have a backup, right? This is probably something that u could have deduced from the instructions that more than likely came with the firmware download or on Intels site. Which begs the question, why are you posting this here and are you completely incapable of following directions and/or researching things on your own?

Really i was wondering if anyone have installed it and had any issues. I prefer quick solutions over reading a freaking book!.
as i guess most people in the universe does! Besides you.

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Where did you get this info from? I looked on Intel's site but didn't see anything but I did see they have an SSD app for iPhone, WTF?! But no toolbox for Mac? Really?

Edit:OK, I see it.

Mangos86

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
Really i was wondering if anyone have installed it and had any issues. I prefer quick solutions over reading a freaking book!.
as i guess most people in the universe does! Besides you.

I like doing things the right way, which isn't always the fastest way. And unless intel made this SSD strictly for the Mbp, I think your questions would be better suited on an intel forum.

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
I like doing things the right way, which isn't always the fastest way. And unless intel made this SSD strictly for the Mbp, I think your questions would be better suited on an intel forum.

You're right about doing things the right way but the OP is likely to get better answers here than the Intel forums. That place is a dead zone.

nastymrx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Okay, its done. I flashed it and no problems, no reinstall of the OS :)
There was ONE! thing i would read in the system profiler, it was the line:
TRIM Support: YES! hehe.

But no. :mad:

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana

Why would you think a firmware update would format the drive?? I've flashed the firmware on RAID controllers and individual drives for years and they tend to go out-of-their-way so it doesn't damaged the data on the drive. However, a recent backup is always a good idea for many reasons.

But, at least, you were super cool to berate another poster on a subject you know nothing about!

Welcome, to my troll filter.

Mangos86

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
Why would you think a firmware update would format the drive?? I've flashed the firmware on RAID controllers and individual drives for years and they tend to go out-of-their-way so it doesn't damaged the data on the drive. However, a recent backup is always a good idea for many reasons.

But, at least, you were super cool to berate another poster on a subject you know nothing about!

Welcome, to my troll filter.

Any firmware update I have ever done has required the wiping of the drive to install. I wouldn't go as far as to say I was berating him, just helping point out the obvious. I find your improper use of commas to be quite egregious but at least your troll filter caught me, tool.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Any firmware update I have ever done has required the wiping of the drive to install. I wouldn't go as far as to say I was berating him, just helping point out the obvious. I find your improper use of commas to be quite egregious but at least your troll filter caught me, tool.

Name the firmware updates that require wiping the drives please. A couple or so will do.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
changelog:

18 January 2011
2CV102M3
This firmware revision fixes enumeration and slow-boot issues on SATA 6Gb/s controllers, adds improvements to S.M.A.R.T. attributes for more accurate reporting of drive health, improves NCQ capability, and fixes possible drive hangs when reading S.M.A.R.T. self-test log.

Basically makes no difference on a macbook.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
When I tried to update the firmware I got an error saying my SSD isn't found. I followed the directions closely, and the previous firmware version found my drive just fine. Any ideas?

FusionZ06

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
I cannot get this to work at all on my 120GB G2.

I burned the ISO and select it on boot and nothing happens......

Ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.