Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I

iFanboy

Original poster
There are a TON of free PDF files out there provided by government agencies that restrict editing and saving.

They are basically there for you to use them to fill out the form, print, but then as soon as you close the PDF file you lose all the data you typed in.

Basically I want to download them and unlock them, so I can both edit them and save what i've typed in there.

Maybe a Mac equivalent of Foxit PDF Editor for Windows? http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/editor/

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

They are basically there for you to use them to fill out the form, print, but then as soon as you close the PDF file you lose all the data you typed in.

Just to be clear, what you are describing is the character of Adobe Reader and, I presume, Preview. PDF editors like Adobe Acrobat Pro save data in completed government forms without issue. You may even add form fields to PDF files that don't have them.

kidkasha

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
Converting PDF file

I have photoshop CS can that be used to edit PDF files by saving to a different format so change can be made;

TreoRenegade

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
"PDF Unlock"

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35106/pdf-unlock/

Only discovered this recently, so I've not yet used it, but have it in my arsenal so I'll be ready when I encounter the kind of files referred to by the OP -- for me, typically, court opinions. All I want is the ability to highlight/annotate as usual. The comments on the linked page suggest this is as good as PDFUnlocker on WinWoes. Once the file is unlocked, you can use whatever editor you prefer.

Free.

Last edited:

nandez28

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Adobe Acrobat is $400. I use PDF Editor Pro for $99.95. There is PDF Editor for $49.95 and a free trial. I find it easy to use, they have video tutorials on their web site

dupreeer

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
If you just need to add text, images, and draw freehand into PDF's, and FormulatePro is perfect for that.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
If you just need to add text, images, and draw freehand into PDF's, and FormulatePro is perfect for that.

Are you jailbroken? A search in the App Store for FormulatePro brings up "no results."

EDIT: Oh. Did a Google search and there they were. Thanks!

Last edited:

dupreeer

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Are you jailbroken? A search in the App Store for FormulatePro brings up "no results."

EDIT: Oh. Did a Google search and there they were. Thanks!

I always use it. It does the job well and it's free. Unfortunately it's not on the Mac App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.