Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Yes, unfortunately I am stuck running 921 point units until a new OS X client comes out. :(

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
All this while my main machine has crashed and is 1,000 miles away...

I just bought the Remoter($.99) app for my iPhone and installed TightVNC($Free) on my i7 rig as I didn't want this happening but I'm trying to figure out how I can do this over 3G :( Because it seems like it was kind of a waste since I have to be on my own network to "control" my computer. :(

Do you have anything that can remotely access your computer?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Wait, does this mean no more bigadv for macs?

'fraid so - at least until an updated client is released.

There is a thread on folding forum about this:
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17770

Hopefully it won't be too long, but there was the best part of a year without a linux bigadv client when a3 replaced a2.

There were ways around previous os incompatibilities like running the windows client in linux using wine or running the linux client in windows via a VM, so it should be possible to do the same in OSX.

Rob

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
OS X 64 bits: you need to boot in 64 bit kernel?
I don't think my Mac Pro 2,1 can do that...

Anyway, even with these, no bigadv for OS X?

Tks

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Is there a console command for running the new beta client over Terminal? I rather preferred it to the application that the new client runs in, but my success getting it to run was always somewhat haphazard.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Looks like point advantage for bigadv WU's is going down. While I am a little sad that there will be less points for bigadv WUs, but hopefully this will help make things a little more fair.

I kind of agree with this change - the threshold for running bigadv isn't that high anymore (4GB RAM, an i7 with 8 threads) so it seems unnecessary to provide such a high bonus over base benchmark points.

However, they seem to have missed what I thought was the main argument with the current points - the exponential quick return bonus.
It worked OK setting base points using a quad core when people were then running 8 and 12 core systems, but the scaling has now become silly when 32 and 64 systems are now being used.
I don't see that a case has been made that there is the same science benefit in shaving the time of a WU down from 6 to 3 hours as there is in going from 4 to 2 days (especially when the science will be waiting for the results that still take 2 days).

Anyway, keep folding!
Rob

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Seeing there still aren't any bigadv for OS X, no tears here...

Just added a 3.4ghz iMac, nice...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.