Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethereal Divide

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Banning, CA
Just bought the 2010 21.5" like 10 hours ago. Love it so far. Was debating for weeks the new Macbook Pro but decided on this in the end. Out of the box there was a little bar code sticker right on top of the base stand beneath the screen. Peeled it off but it left that annoying sticker residue on the base. How can I remove it without scratching the aluminum, it's really on there.

Detosx

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Just bought the 2010 21.5" like 10 hours ago. Love it so far. Was debating for weeks the new Macbook Pro but decided on this in the end. Out of the box there was a little bar code sticker right on top of the base stand beneath the screen. Peeled it off but it left that annoying sticker residue on the base. How can I remove it without scratching the aluminum, it's really on there.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226

certo

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
sticker residue

You can use some scotch tape and put it on top of the residue and try to gently lift off the residue by tapping on it repeatedly, each time it gets more of it off till you have nothing left of it anymore. A little vegetable oil on a paper towel works great by rubbing the residue off but I would test it on another aluminum type material to see if it causes staining before trying it on the base. Good luck!

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Goo Gone works great and it doesn't damage the aluminum finish of the iMac or MacBook Pro at all. I've used it on several aluminum Macs with perfect results every time.

pamelasadie

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
For the removal of residue you can use thinner, alcohol and spirit. You can also use the scotch tape for the removal of residue. Try any of these that you have. Peanut butter also works pretty well because it decrees the adhesiveness.Some people use peanut butter for the removal of chewing gum from the hair.Try any. Wish you best of luck.

sticker printing

Last edited:

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
never heard of goo gone but obviously highly rated haha. I swear by White Vinegar for all my cleaning, no streaks and powerful without any odours when it dissolves. Very cheap too

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Wd40 is great but if you dont want to leave an oily residue use white spirit. On aluminium is is fine bit it can turn plastics dull.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Wd40 is great but if you dont want to leave an oily residue use white spirit. On aluminium is is fine bit it can turn plastics dull.
It's about using it properly.

We're talking about using it to remove adhesive which usually involves wiping off the surface once your done.

I think most people realize that :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.