Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mommameow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
So here is my situation. I just this weekend reinstalled my macbook OS b/c it just quit on me for no reason (no time to back up anything).
I had not yet synched my iphone with my new clean itunes (damn it!)
Today my kids were relentless with my phone (3gs) and locked it up entirely.
I had to go and wipe it clean and restore it loosing everything I thought was safe:(
Then it dawned on me that my old iphone (3g) was still around and that has the majority of the sentimental pics I am mostly concerned about recovering.
I powered it up and low and behold, I have a password on it that I have no idea what it could be.
SO, can I jailbreak it then do the SSH thing to get the password? If I do this, will I lose all those pics in the process?
OR, is there anyway to backup the phone without knowing the password, then restore it and go from there?
It has been a long day, pls don't accuse me of trying to use a stolen iphone. I've been on the phone with at&t, apple, data recovery companies ect.... all to hear I am out of luck.
Any help would be great. The pics are of a deceased loved one and mean a whole lot to me...
thanks

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
So here is my situation. I just this weekend reinstalled my macbook OS b/c it just quit on me for no reason (no time to back up anything).
I had not yet synched my iphone with my new clean itunes (damn it!)
Today my kids were relentless with my phone (3gs) and locked it up entirely.
I had to go and wipe it clean and restore it loosing everything I thought was safe:(
Then it dawned on me that my old iphone (3g) was still around and that has the majority of the sentimental pics I am mostly concerned about recovering.
I powered it up and low and behold, I have a password on it that I have no idea what it could be.
SO, can I jailbreak it then do the SSH thing to get the password? If I do this, will I lose all those pics in the process?
OR, is there anyway to backup the phone without knowing the password, then restore it and go from there?
It has been a long day, pls don't accuse me of trying to use a stolen iphone. I've been on the phone with at&t, apple, data recovery companies ect.... all to hear I am out of luck.
Any help would be great. The pics are of a deceased loved one and mean a whole lot to me...
thanks

Download iPhone Explorer. It's free and I believe you can access the pic folder without jailbreaking.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
If you don't mind paying a bit you can probably buy a program to transfer all files from the iPhone to your iTunes library. After that you can probably just restore the iPhone to, but you would have had all your backed up information already in sync with your computer, so it should be there.

Don't know anything about SHSH blobs, or whatever they're called. But having jailbroken some of my friends iPhones, I had to restore the phone with the custom ipsw and since I did all of this on my computer, there was none of their old information to sync with the phone. The option I said MIGHT work though. You can get programs online for pretty cheap ($10-20), and then all of the information should sync to your computer.

mommameow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Download iPhone Explorer. It's free and I believe you can access the pic folder without jailbreaking.

Thanks, I did download iphone explorer but nothing comes up in the file browser. Either it doesn't 'see' my phone or I don't know how to work it.

mommameow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
If you don't mind paying a bit you can probably buy a program to transfer all files from the iPhone to your iTunes library. After that you can probably just restore the iPhone to, but you would have had all your backed up information already in sync with your computer, so it should be there.

Don't know anything about SHSH blobs, or whatever they're called. But having jailbroken some of my friends iPhones, I had to restore the phone with the custom ipsw and since I did all of this on my computer, there was none of their old information to sync with the phone. The option I said MIGHT work though. You can get programs online for pretty cheap ($10-20), and then all of the information should sync to your computer.

Any program suggestions? I don't mind buying, I just need to be sure the program can get around the passcode lock.

stev3n

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
You could try iRip 2. I have never used it though. I think they have a trial version on their site. It's from the same company that made Rip It. Hope this helps.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Wait, wasn't there a bug in the old firmware where if someone called the phone you either answer or don't answer or do something and it would then take you to the home screen without having to put in any password? You can stick you sim card in there and try that.

mommameow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
You could try iRip 2. I have never used it though. I think they have a trial version on their site. It's from the same company that made Rip It. Hope this helps.

Thanks I did try iRip but it won't even recognize the phone.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Note the excuse is BS.

Think about it: Who doesn't use the iPhone "for a while" that they forget password?

He did say it was his old phone which he had upgraded from, and I would imagine that most people who upgrade their phone don't use the old one for a while and could forget the pass code.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I remember seeing a thread on here awhile back about accessing your phone even if you forgot your password. I think it was more geared towards LockInfo users but I couldn't find it :(

Although I did find this thread that may be of some help for you.

mommameow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Note the excuse is BS.

Think about it: Who doesn't use the iPhone "for a while" that they forget password?

Usually happens when the device is stolen.
Maybe it's beyond the scope of your imagination so allow me to explain. I have 3 boys between the ages of 8 and 4.
they love the games on my phone. I have to change the password frequently because they eventually figure it out, grab my phone when I'm not looking, run the battery down and grub up the screen. Yes, they are derelicts, I know. Go ahead and accuse me of bad parenting, but I'm not an iPhone thief.
I usually use a pascode that is made up of numbers visually close to one another ( 9898, 2356 ect) I do have a chance of guessing the passcode based on this theme, still could take a while.

BTW, If I stole it, why wouldn't I just restore it and use it from there? Why would I want someone else's pictures? That's the whole problem, I don't want to lose the data!

This is neither here nor there. I appreciate the advice everyone has given. And especially thanks to those who choose not to judge...

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Maybe it's beyond the scope of your imagination so allow me to explain. I have 3 boys between the ages of 8 and 4.
they love the games on my phone. I have to change the password frequently because they eventually figure it out, grab my phone when I'm not looking, run the battery down and grub up the screen. Yes, they are derelicts, I know. Go ahead and accuse me of bad parenting, but I'm not an iPhone thief.
I usually use a pascode that is made up of numbers visually close to one another ( 9898, 2356 ect) I do have a chance of guessing the passcode based on this theme, still could take a while.

BTW, If I stole it, why wouldn't I just restore it and use it from there? Why would I want someone else's pictures? That's the whole problem, I don't want to lose the data!

This is neither here nor there. I appreciate the advice everyone has given. And especially thanks to those who choose not to judge...

dont worry, people are just immature on here... you'll learn in time.

i wish i could help, but i dont have a solution. hopefully someone can help you out.

if you dont believe the OP, then dont reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.