Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

135141-sk_telecom_iphone.jpg

South Korean carrier SK Telecom today announced that it will launch the iPhone on March 16th, becoming the second carrier in that country to carry the iPhone.
"SK Telecom is proud to offer iPhone 4 on the nation's top network," said So Jin-Woo, President of Platform Business and Co-CEO of SK Telecom. "Our customers will benefit from flexible tariff plans tailored to their unique usage needs along with a high level of customer care."
Pre-registration for the iPhone on SK Telecom begins tomorrow. With the launch, SK Telecom will end the exclusivity held by KT Telecom for the last several years.

Article Link: South Korea's SK Telecom to Launch iPhone on March 16th

Last edited by a moderator:

richardsonrs

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

More sheep!!!!

richardsonrs

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

troop231 said:
Why does the iPhone on the right look different then the one on the left?

A phenomenon known by scientists as a reflection :eek:

Fake!!!! CDMA iPhones do no exist.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
I hear a Queen song on the radio

And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust
Hey, I'm gonna get you too
Another one bites the dust

Cheers to the big A. Cheers to the SK. If you're a shareholder, yell "Hell Yeah!"

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Kinda funny - they are very specifically holding it in such a way to avoid the death grip :)

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
How does the GSM iPhone work in South Korea?

Since it's introduction last year, Apple has sold the GSM iPhone 4 in South Korea. If it's true that South Korea only has a CDMA network and does not have a GSM network, then how does the GSM iPhone 4 work in South Korea?

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
According to 9to5mac.com they are using HSPA+ and not CDMA.... The website (SK Telecom's) states they offer both. So maybe they are just launching it on the GSM part of their network and not the CDMA side...

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Since it's introduction last year, Apple has sold the GSM iPhone 4 in South Korea. If it's true that South Korea only has a CDMA network and does not have a GSM network, then how does the GSM iPhone 4 work in South Korea?

I believe KT and SK have GSM networks in the 2100MHz flavor. But their CDMA footprints are still larger.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Sure looks like a GSM iPhone 4 to me. You can see the split in the antennae to the right of the headphone port location, and nothing on the left or right side of the phone where the Verizon version is split. It's hard to tell, but I don't think these are CDMA.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
March 16th?

Wait a freaking 3 months and get iPhone 5. These koreans will go like berserker as soon as they find their iphone 4 will be outdated. In 3 months, God steve will announce mighty iPhone 5.

Koreans will be like, OMG WTF! I just bought one 3 months ago.

They act so aggressively. We don't want any angry koreans. SK telecoms will never ever offer early upgrades or anything.

Wait freaking 3 months.

3 Months in the US, international roll outs come later.... Months and months later in some cases.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
Why was there a rumor of CDMA version in first place? SK 3G network is based on GSM. Only third and the smallest telecomm company in Korea, LG uses CDMA Rev A. or sth like that...

3 Months in the US, international roll outs come later.... Months and months later in some cases.

Yeah especially with Korean version seems to take awhile to get background approval etc...

cheolsu

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
I was in South Korea last year. I was carrying my iPhone 3G that I purchased in Australia. Why don't phones purchased from other countries work in Korea :confused: I understand that they are on a much advanced Mobile network similar to Japan. So, I ended up renting a simple mobile phone from the airport..

kdarling

macrumors P6
If it's true that South Korea only has a CDMA network and does not have a GSM network, then how does the GSM iPhone 4 work in South Korea?

Over UMTS-3G.

According to 9to5mac.com they are using HSPA+ and not CDMA.... The website (SK Telecom's) states they offer both. So maybe they are just launching it on the GSM part of their network and not the CDMA side...

They don't have a GSM (2G) side, AFAIK. (There might be some GSM-GPRS networks around, though.)

SK Telecom uses a CDMA2000 network, with support for 1X voice, EVDO 3G Rev A and UMTS 3G with HSPA.

Just as UMTS-3G was tacked onto older GSM-2G networks, in this case UMTS-3G was tacked onto an older CDMA2000 network.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.