Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

is300guy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Fresno, Ca
I have never really used the dial pad as often since I have "favorites" and other saved contacts on my iP4 but today I discovered that my dial or phone app crashes back to SB when I try to dial a number...I went to the settings to see if there was any configurations but there was none. Did a reboot and no luck too. Any ideas as to why this is occurring? I'm on 4.2.1 with GP JB, any help would be great, thx in advance!

Last edited:

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
  1. Go into SBSettings
  2. Click on the 'More' button
  3. Click on 'Mobile Substrate Addons'
  4. Turn everything to OFF and exit out
  5. Your phone will respring
  6. See if you still have the problem. If you don't, then some tweak you have installed is messing with it.
  7. Turn on each addon in Mobile Substrate one by one and test each time.

is300guy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Fresno, Ca
  1. Go into SBSettings
  2. Click on the 'More' button
  3. Click on 'Mobile Substrate Addons'
  4. Turn everything to OFF and exit out
  5. Your phone will respring
  6. See if you still have the problem. If you don't, then some tweak you have installed is messing with it.
  7. Turn on each addon in Mobile Substrate one by one and test each time.

I have tried this before...I tried it again and it still does the same thing with everything turned off after respring.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Did you mess thru SSH deleting, editing or doing other things in there?
I'd try a restore, you never know what bug or maybe conflicting cydia package caused this.
Try removing and reinstalling all your cydia stuff one by one to see if you can pinpoint it if you dont feel like restoring.

is300guy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Fresno, Ca
Did you mess thru SSH deleting, editing or doing other things in there?
I'd try a restore, you never know what bug or maybe conflicting cydia package caused this.
Try removing and reinstalling all your cydia stuff one by one to see if you can pinpoint it if you dont feel like restoring.

The things that I deleted are either com.apple.springboard 0-3, themes, and changing the fonts and deleting files that relate to it. I hate to do a restore and would like to avoid this if possible. Guess I'll just have to take my time and see which cydia app or file is causing this issue of mine.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The things that I deleted are either com.apple.springboard 0-3, themes, and changing the fonts and deleting files that relate to it. I hate to do a restore and would like to avoid this if possible. Guess I'll just have to take my time and see which cydia app or file is causing this issue of mine.

That's what it is most of the time, themes, changing fonts and deleting stuff.
Even a small change on the filesystem thru SSh can cause some things to crash and even the phone not be able to start at all.
The only solution I would suggest is restoring. Trying to remember and change every single file and folder you edited thru ssh would be nearly impossible unless you have all the old files saved and know the exact location where you made changes to.

is300guy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Fresno, Ca
That's what it is most of the time, themes, changing fonts and deleting stuff.
Even a small change on the filesystem thru SSh can cause some things to crash and even the phone not be able to start at all.
The only solution I would suggest is restoring. Trying to remember and change every single file and folder you edited thru ssh would be nearly impossible unless you have all the old files saved and know the exact location where you made changes to.

Well, you are right. I'll have to do a restore at a more convenient time when I have the time to. Right now the phone works, just 98% for the mean time so I think it won't affect me much at all unless I need to dial, which I can still use the voice dialing as an alternative, thx!

is300guy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Fresno, Ca
Just restored the iP4 awhile ago...turns out that the problem was with the fonts that I added, which was Neutraface. All the other fonts were fine BUT the PhonepadTwo.ttf. I guess it was a bad file so it kept on crashing the phone app when dialing. Sucks, I spent a few hours restoring and using pkgbackup to bring back up all my data and files but oh well. At least I figured out what was the problem:D.
Anyone here mind sharing that file (PhonepadTwo.ttf) so that way I can complete the Neutraface font?

*Edit* I also need _H_MarkerFeltThin.ttf cause the file for the notepad is also not good.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.