Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120048-iphone_os4_event.jpg

Attendees waiting outside Apple's iOS 4 event on April 8th, 2010
German site Macerkopf.de claims [Google translation] to have received word from a source that Apple is planning an early April media event to introduce iOS 5 and revamped MobileMe services. The report seems to indicate that the event would take place on Apple's campus in the 14th or 15th week of the year, which would be the first or second full week in April.

An early-to-mid April developer event to show off the next-generation iOS version would be in line with Apple's pattern in recent years as it seeks to get third-party developers on board ahead of a public release in June or July alongside new iPhone hardware. For example, last year's iOS 4 event took place on April 8th at the company's headquarters in Cupertino. We do not, however, have much of a track record for Macerkopf.de when it comes to rumors, so it is difficult to assess a level of confidence in the claims.

Previous claims had "almost guaranteed" that last week's media event would see a preview of iOS 5 and cloud-based services, but those topics were not included with the iPad 2 unveiling.

Article Link: Apple to Hold Early April Media Event for iOS 5 and MobileMe Revamp?

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I'm excited to see what iOS 5 will bring; and perhaps a sneak peek of the iPhone 5 as well... although I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 4 :)

MacEdit

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
Final Cut Release

that is also a perfect timeframe to release the new final cut studio right before NAB which is in April.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wireless syncing please!!

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
I think macrumors should stop posting those BGR rumors rather that the ones from a foreing source. The BGR rumors are always false

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
If Apple doesn't introduce a revamped notification system with iOS5, then I will eat 5 kittens, uncooked.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I hope they fix MobileMe syncing, I don't know how many times it has duplicated my contacts or just wanted to delete all of them.

I am excited to see what new features will be announced (if not on this date, sometime in the near future).

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
"Can't Wait!" Hoping for better notifications and toolbar access (swipe down or tap like that jailbreak app) to wifi/bluetooth & notifications.

saxamoophone

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
About time. Bring on the new notifications system!

Agreed!

Hmmmmm.........now do I
1) Buy a iPad2 this Friday and hope for the best with iOS5
2) Wait for the Xoom to drop at Sams Club for $539 (Wi-Fi) Version.
3) Wait for iOS5 to be announced so I can compare that with Android3.0!

I don't have the original iPad, but I've used it enough to "like it." I like the idea behind Android 3.0 but I don't know if it's far enough along to be true competition to the iPad. I really want to love the iPad. Throw us some more fun stuff Apple ;).

What I hope iOS5 has:
1) New notification system
2) Widgets or Smart Icons
3) Something to fix Phone Apps from displaying like they do now on the IPad(it's pretty awful). Either allow the iPhone 4 apps to display in full screen (it's the same resolution, right?), or do a traditional Window display where you can move around several "Apps" at the same time around a desktop. Having 3/4 of the screen black just seems boring. Then again, the easy solution is to not download iPhone apps on the iPad ;).

Last edited:

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Dashboard for iPad(since default apps like weather and stocks aren't present this would make sense, can be a page to the right of spotlight and to the left of your apps as well as on the lock screen), live icons (perhaps?) and an improved notification system. That's all I'm hoping for.

jkeating2005

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
i can't see this happening with iOS 4.3 being so hyped up from apple, they are definitely going to let 4.3 soak in for more than 3-4 weeks.

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
i can't see this happening with iOS 4.3 being so hyped up from apple, they are definitely going to let 4.3 soak in for more than 3-4 weeks.

They can't wait much longer than that if they want to give developers enough time to get their iOS 5 apps in before public release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.