Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nironan12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Florida
Namely the Safari boost that runs up to twice as fast and home sharing. I don't really care for AirPlay.

Unfortunately Apple left the iPod Touch 2G right at 4.2.1 instead of waiting until iOS 5.

Are there any jailbreak tweaks that can boost Safari and get home sharing?

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I dislike how the left the iPod Touch 2G in the dust. Mine has been jailbroken for a while so I haven't lost out on any of the features, but it's just kinda sad that to know a not even two year old device is now obsolete.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I dislike how the left the iPod Touch 2G in the dust. Mine has been jailbroken for a while so I haven't lost out on any of the features, but it's just kinda sad that to know a not even two year old device is now obsolete.

I agree. Kinda.
It sucks that the 2g touch iPod is no longer supported by Apple in terms of software. I got mine about 7 months ago (new) and it has come down to this. To be fair though, the hardware really sucks. I'm not surprised.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I agree. Kinda.
It sucks that the 2g touch iPod is no longer supported by Apple in terms of software. I got mine about 7 months ago (new) and it has come down to this. To be fair though, the hardware really sucks. I'm not surprised.

Yeah I agree. The hardware isn't very good and I find it super laggy now that I have it jailbroken on 4.2.1. I kinda wish I kept it jailbroken on 3.1.3. It ran much smoother and I really had no lag what so ever. But still.. in your case, 7 months and a device is obsolete. It's sad to see.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
The least they could have done would have been to provide a minor update to add Home Sharing on all previous models. I'm loving that feature on my 8gb 4th gen Touch.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I agree. Kinda.

Yeah, it's only one generation behind if you count the 3G 8GB (which is 2g)

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Tapatalk

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
Completely stopping all support for a device within months of it being sold new on the shelf is so dirty and rotten it makes me disgusted with Apple. In fact I don't think I'm going to be spending any more hundreds on iOS devices because what is the point of giving them money just to abandon their product a few months later. Even if you say well the tech is 2 years old, it's still a platform that deserves some level of continued support if you have any integrity as a company. My iPod 2G was $400, and it didn't even make it two years before it was unceremoniously canned. I don't expect it to take on new features it isn't capable of, but security updates and any possible optimizations and enhancements should continue to be released to support the devices for a reasonable amount of time. And a year is not a reasonable amount of time in my opinion. I think it's shameful.

One of the reasons I'm so ticked off about it right now is that iTunes just updated a bunch of my purchased apps, and trashed the older versions which cannot be re-downloaded. The updated apps require iOS 4.3 or higher even though previous versions of these apps were working fine on my iPod 2G. So now the versions that worked are trashed and I'm stuck with purchased apps that only run on a 4.3 system. This is the rotten crap Apple does to screw you into having to buy an upgrade. Oh we release this new software update and now your device runs horribly. Oh we released this update that you can't install and now all the developers have to update their apps to require that iOS version if they want to remain having the full features of their apps on newer devices. There is no option to download older versions, just like Apple makes it impossible to officially re-install older iOS versions when things like iOS 4.0 ruining your device happen. No, you can't go back to 3.1.3 even though iOS 4 makes your device unusable. We own your device, not you, and we're efffectively disabling it and rendering your application investments worthless until you submit to our extortion and buy new hardware, since we won't allow you to roll back. Scumbaggery.

Last edited:

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
I recommend AirVideo as an alternative.
Install the server on the PC/Mac
inmethod.com

Install the iOS version on your device
Full Version
Free Version (Gives you random three items in each playlist/share)

I have an iphone3gs, iphone3g, and 2 ipodtouch2g in the household, all this works across the board.
Airvideo can been fed over the internet too so you can also watch it on the fly, as long as you have the bandwidth.

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
Completely stopping all support for a device within months of it being sold new on the shelf is so dirty and rotten it makes me disgusted with Apple. In fact I don't think I'm going to be spending any more hundreds on iOS devices because what is the point of giving them money just to abandon their product a few months later. Even if you say well the tech is 2 years old, it's still a platform that deserves some level of continued support if you have any integrity as a company. My iPod 2G was $400, and it didn't even make it two years before it was unceremoniously canned. I don't expect it to take on new features it isn't capable of, but security updates and any possible optimizations and enhancements should continue to be released to support the devices for a reasonable amount of time. And a year is not a reasonable amount of time in my opinion. I think it's shameful.

One of the reasons I'm so ticked off about it right now is that iTunes just updated a bunch of my purchased apps, and trashed the older versions which cannot be re-downloaded. The updated apps require iOS 4.3 or higher even though previous versions of these apps were working fine on my iPod 2G. So now the versions that worked are trashed and I'm stuck with purchased apps that only run on a 4.3 system. This is the rotten crap Apple does to screw you into having to buy an upgrade. Oh we release this new software update and now your device runs horribly. Oh we released this update that you can't install and now all the developers have to update their apps to require that iOS version if they want to remain having the full features of their apps on newer devices. There is no option to download older versions, just like Apple makes it impossible to officially re-install older iOS versions when things like iOS 4.0 ruining your device happen. No, you can't go back to 3.1.3 even though iOS 4 makes your device unusable. We own your device, not you, and we're efffectively disabling it and rendering your application investments worthless until you submit to our extortion and buy new hardware, since we won't allow you to roll back. Scumbaggery.

Apple isn't the only company that does this, it's how all the businesses in the Electronics industry make money and function. Plus, having an old device support laggy software wouldn't make anyone happy, I can see the raging now...

oldgazer

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
I've got a news flash for ya: Apple has been doing this sort of thing from the very beginning.

Being an old foggie, I watched Apple and IBM battle it out from the start. Apple's hardware has always been "closed," while IBM (with the exception of their MCA (Micro Channel Architecture and PS2 machines) has been "open".

The result is, there are more "IBM Clone" and 3rd party hardware and software vendors than there are Apple vendors.

Back in the day, I could get an IBM clone with the same functionality as an Apple II for less than half the price. Over the years I have built numerous desktop PCs, starting with an 4.7 MHz 8088 based box with CGA graphics, 20 MEGA byte Seagate hard drive, dual 5 1/4" floppy drives, and a whopping 64K of ram, running MS-DOS 2.0 and Windows 1.0. There was no Internet, but I could get "on-line" and "surf" bulletin boards using an acoustically coupled modem at a blazing 150 BPS.

What is strange to note is that Apple chose to use a commercial based on George Orwell's "1984" to herald the arrival of the Macintosh (Super Bowl XVIII on Janurary 22nd 1984), and yet Apple's behavior actually borders on the draconian.

On the other hand, IBM (Big Blue) and MS took a different tack. An individual could build his own PC, and as long as he purchased a valid licensed copy of the OS and/or Windows, MS would support it. I know this to be true because I used to work for MS supporting DOS and every version of Windows up through Windows 2000 Server.

The only real "fly in the ointment" is that MS does not have Apple's strangle hold on hardware development, so they are always playing catch-up over compatibility issues.

The sad fact is, one would think that based on its business model, Apple's devices would be light years ahead of the competition, compatibility issues would be non-existant, and customer satisfaction would always be 100%.

To the contrary, Apple emotes an aura of superiority that borders on snobbery, and as we all know, some software "upgrades" can do more harm than good.....

Just my $.02.....

Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
Former "Microsoftie"

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
This is not helping people find a possible solution to the issue at hand, and is now becoming a troll conversation about the obsolescence of Apple kit.
It's the evolution of electronics, get over it.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
This is silly: when/IF the individual bought a second gen Touch 7 months ago (I personally find hard to believe someone had a brand new 2nd gen Touch just laying around), he/she KNEW then that it was essentially obsolete, and the 4th gen had BEEN out. So to whine about it now is simply silly.

Hardware becomes obsolete -- sad, but true. It is ridiculous to expect Apple, or anyone else, to support old hardware, that is just going to bog down when it doesn't have enough computing power.

Apple, like all technology companies, advance and move forward, it's what they do; it's their business model. They HAVE to keep moving, they have to keep making it better to stay on the cutting edge.

oldgazer

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
This is not helping people find a possible solution to the issue at hand, and is now becoming a troll conversation about the obsolescence of Apple kit.
It's the evolution of electronics, get over it.

You are correct.

I suppose the best way to have answered the OP's question was to just say "NO, because the 2G's hardware does not support iOS 4.3's functionality." (MS speak....)

What would end this sort of post would be Apple's inclusion of minimum hardware requirements when a new version of iOS is announced and then add that announcement to the forum as a "stickie".

With that said, I kinda like my "old" 2G. It has sound issues, but that's not what I use it for. I have an iPod 5th Gen Video for my "tunes," and I use the 2G for astronomy apps like APOD, Distant Suns, and so forth.

Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)

Adithya.V

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
ipod 2g works bad

i have an ipod touch 2g it is working very bad and does consume a lot of memory .The unlock screen too takes a long time to load up after instaling 4.2.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.