Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celticpride678

Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I was using Mac OS X Lion this evening and I noticed that a new, "Mobile Backups" folder was included in the sidebar of Finder. It showed up by itself (definitely wasn't there before).

When you try to drag it out, it just comes back.

Anyone else? Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-03-09 at 8.31.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-03-09 at 8.31.19 PM.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 26,150

nate8nate

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
It's for local Time Machine backups and version control. It shouldn't be showing up in the sidebar, but shouldn't be anything to worry about (Maybe try looking in Finder's preferences). Usually, the folder is located in "/Volumes"

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
It's in my side bar as well, appeared around the time when I disabled all that local Time Machine stuff.

Hyde244

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I have a bit of a reverse problem, the backup drive doesn't display in my sidebar, but shows up in iStat. Any way to remove a hard drive listing from iStat?

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-22%20at%2010.40.06%20AM.jpg

crspechicn

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
I have a bit of a reverse problem, the backup drive doesn't display in my sidebar, but shows up in iStat. Any way to remove a hard drive listing from iStat?

You can press the "i" on iStat and deselect the MobileBackups box under "Display". I just saw the same thing appear when I set up my Time Machine backup in Lion.

doubleodd

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010
I don't understand MobileBackups

Why is this new MobileBackups disk showing 499.2GB used and 0 Free? What does that mean?

What is a "local backup" and should I turn something off in Time Machine preferences? Is this MobileBackup necessary?

When I open up the MobileBackup folder it shows backups of my entire hard drive every hour or so.

I hate it when Apple just changes everything and doesn't explain anything.

Hedge666

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2007
South Croydon
Over 8GB of trash stored in Mobilebackups!

I have just done a scan with Daisydisk and found this folder called .Mobilebackups that has stored over 8GB of the contents of my trash I thought I'd deleted a week ago! Since downloading Lion my hard drive is always at capacity with stuff like this! Any ideas on why it's there, what it's for and how to disable whatever it's doing?!

Also, I keep getting a FULL iPhone backup on my computer's hard drive when my default drive in iTunes is set to an external one. It's 20-odd GB!! My HDD is only 120GB so this is becoming a bit of a problem!! Can these 'back-ups' be set to an external HDD or just disabled?

Cheers.

ravenlynch

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Boise, ID
MobileBackups: Able to Browse Files...

OK, My only guess here is that Apple is storing my Time Machine backups to the Cloud. I could be totally wrong but someone needs to prove that so. This is why:
In Motion 5, I have the 'MobileBackups' icon in the sidebar and no external drives connected anywhere on my network. I also do not own a Time Capsule. However, I can select MobileBackups from the sidebar and browse my Time Machine backups that I've been making from my MacBook Pro (to an external FW drive). Absolutely wild as this is over 400GB of data.

Has anyone else seen this? I also noticed what other mentioned with Daisy Disk. Both with my MacBook Pro and my MacBook Air. In the case of Daisy Disk, the data is not readable but shows up as an equivalent amount of space as the internal storage of the machines.

Is Apple storing our Time Machine backups in iCloud?!

Last edited:

AlliOop

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Try this for a brief explanation of what this MobileBackups is about:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/18

However, after reading that, my understanding is that it's still storing it on your computer (localhost). If that is Apple's answer to not being able to backup to an external drive or a 2nd HDD, how do you recover or restore your data if your system gets corrupted or even stolen?

Does anyone have any more answers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.