Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I thought my sarcasm would be obvious.
On the Internet, it's not. That's why people use smilies.

This particular site has a large number of non-native English participants. They're even less apt to understand sarcasm.

In addition, there's a certain percentage of people here who have a very tenuous connection to reality, people who think that the laws of physics and the economics of consumer electronics manufacturing can be arbitrarily suspended.

Just to let you know.

:) :D :p

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
It would be interesting to have the people in this thread post their annual salaries, and then allow the rest of us to decide how they should use the money.

I absolutely love this quote! It is all too true. As others have said, Steve doesn't have 8 billion dollars sitting in his bank account. No one would argue that he NEEDS all of that money, but no one should argue that it's his money. He has every right to decide what to do with it.

He worked damn hard to get his money, and helped many people along the way. Were it not for him pouring his own money into the fledgling Pixar, many people would not be working right now (or at least not in the same capacity). Additionally, his work to make Apple so successful has given many others jobs and positions both inside and outside Apple. How's that for charity?

jobesucks

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Thats all he cares about, MONEY and how he can extract the maximum amount from people, profit above everything, **** him.
Shame the guys such a tosser cos his company does great products

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Google the next financial crisis that's headed our way. Those exorbitant student loans and interests rates that many have to pay off are killing many (assuming banks gave out loans to qualified people after the last financial crisis). As for scholarships, those are very few and far between.

You've forgotten that the government now controls student loans, so there shouldn't be any worry regarding banks not giving out loans to qualified people. The only worry you should have is whether or not government involvement with student loans will turn out anything like the UK's financing of University education. Let's all hope not.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
You need a permit to build or destroy property.
I know someone who's delapidated garage burned down. The person blamed a person who was found to be nowhere near the place at the time. The police then refocused the investigation on the homeowner. Since he didn't file an insurance claim it was not found he committed fraud. As far as arson I was told owners have the RIGHT to destroy their property, whether by fire or wrecking ball. The issue was dropped.

I have a friend who is a contractor in Steve Jobs' neighborhood and surrounding cities. He drove me to Steve's house a couple of times. He buys a property, removes all hints of development from the site, builds a mansion on the site to the limits of the building codes and resells it. He has done this for decades.

The historical wackos trying to prevent Jobs from developing this site have entirely disregarded the condition of the property, the cost of any move, and all other factors in their objections. Their entire case is a famous guy built it. True, but he built several other places that are in far better condition that still exist. This has been a large waste of Steve's otherwise shortened life. All he wanted to do was build a simplified living space in his own hometown preferred neighborhood and he has been cheated of that, for a decade. He should retaliate with his last breath and last $8B, but I bet he is bigger than that.

He still should after he dies. The holes deserve it.

Rocketman

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Of course, the greatest irony of your post is that it's in response to the world's 110th richest person, at ~$8B, who is a college dropout. Jobs sure didn't spend $400,000 on a degree.

LOL Very true, touché and well written post.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I stopped reading at "And you will be remembered for?"

Can't explain it, but is just created this image in my head. Something wrong about a complete stranger to a celebrity bragging about how that celebrity is going to be remembered, and putting another person down about it, meanwhile the person bragging about the celebrity and worshiping him is a complete unknown. Can't explain it, so I give up.

Also the idea that you seem to think that people in this world are all trying to get noticed and remembered, screams of insecurity, since I'm assuming it's a value of yours, and so you are projecting your feelings of what's important on to others. But it's kind of what a kid under 5 would value.

No, you didn't stop reading after my first line.

YOU were the one to bring up what Jobs will be remembered for.

YOU are the one putting down a man you know very little about, who helped create things we all use with ease and in the process made Apple what it is today.

Again in that department you have to offer? ..........................
I thought so!

Why do you take that I don't agree with you as bragging about a celebrity?
I responded to YOUR mean spirited jab, ignoring the facts.

I would actually defend anybody who has accomplished something we all benefit from.

I am wondering what you -as an outsider- think about intelligent posts?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
All he wanted to do was build a simplified living space in his own hometown preferred neighborhood and he has been cheated of that, for a decade.

Steve lives in Palo Alto. The Jackling house that he destroyed is(was) in Woodside.

Note that he was also embroiled in a fight with the permit authorities because he wanted to buy and tear down the house next to his in Palo Alto so that he could expand the garden.

One wonders if he thinks that rules don't apply to billionaires.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
And most people in this forum (more or less) helped Jobs get there... :rolleyes:

I would have said he got there by helping lots of people, like me, get a little bit richer (compared to how much richer he got). Not to mention how much fun we've had getting there, instead of boring stuffy corporate jobs.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Steve lives in Palo Alto. The Jackling house that he destroyed is(was) in Woodside.

Note that he was also embroiled in a fight with the permit authorities because he wanted to buy and tear down the house next to his in Palo Alto so that he could expand the garden.

Actually, Jobs did purchase two adjacent lots in Palo Alto -- one on Waverly, the other on Santa Rita. Like you said, he was embroiled with the permit authorities (not a surprise in Palo Alto) concerning demolition.

However, in a move that surprised preservationists, he legally demolished one structure (the Santa Rita one) because the lots were combined, which was not their intent. There was nothing the preservationists could do.

The rules do apply to him, he just used them to his advantage.

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly/morgue/news/1997_Aug_22.JOBS.html

I will also point out that the demolition of the Jackling House was perfectly legal. He gave at least two preservationist groups ample time to write up workable solutions. I believe one group couldn't find the money, another group unwisely put too much financial risk on the city of Woodside. A reasonable compromise was struck and the city will have dibs on the most architecturally significant pieces of the house.

It is doubtful that the house was a superb example of the type of architecture it represents when it was built, and even less so after numerous extremely poor additions and renovations (by previous owners). Not every old work is a masterpiece. Even geniuses have bad days.

Again, Jobs played within the authority's rules and the city finally issued the demolition permit.

Last edited:

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Start here, and follow the links.

The house was (and the past tense "was" because the turtlenecked overlord has destroyed it) a significant example of the architecture of its time.

A legacy lost - as I said originally. It really doesn't matter if you regard "Spanish Colonial" architecture to be the greatest. Some do, and even if you don't, preserving significant buildings adds to our shared heritage.

Wiki says Spanish Colonial Revival. Revival suggests even the designer didn't see it as worthy of creative energy or significant.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
One quote from the link in the first post says it all:

Petty. Selfish.

A few million from Jobs' stash of billions could have saved the mansion for a public legacy. But it's been destroyed.

There were a lot of people arguing for the historical significance of the property - so saying it had "little significance" is just parroting Jobs' argument.

What the hell "public legacy" are you going on about? It was big but that was it. Glad Steve gets to do what he wants with his new house design.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California

No - he gets to use the property he bought for a legitimate purpose. You sound like someone who loves to bash and joust at windmills.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Wiki says Spanish Colonial Revival. Revival suggests even the designer didn't see it as worthy of creative energy or significant.

You're basing that on three words - not on the record of nearly a decade of court fights between several groups trying to preserve history, and one rich bastard who wanted to build something shiny.

AwakenedLands

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2009
California
Perhaps he'd donate to charity by selling stock if the government had a tax-free day? You know, like the one he's lobbying for to avoid paying taxes on Apple profits overseas?

Considering how everything he does he likes to have announcements, press releases, and events, I can't see how he'd anonymously donate to charity. But if you buy the $4.99 iCharity app, you can track donations by others and even donate to a worthy cause. You can feed needy children and billionaire egos (with the 30% fee of course) with iCharity!

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Bill Gates siphoned off 28B. 3.5 times stevies net worth.
Not true. The author has an axe to grind & is jealous of Gates. Do the research. Or don't believe everything you read.

Bill Gates makes Stevie Boy look like a real dolt.

And people actually believe Apple Tax isn't real. It's Real Alright.

Real BIG $$$$$$$ LOL :)

boodyup

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
I just read over the first page of comments and I love how people are essentially judging him on how much money he's donated to charity.

"It's nice that he is so wealthy, but what has he done for humanity?" Well, let's see:

1) He's inspired people across the world to be creative by providing the technology for them to do so. iMovie, GarageBand as examples.
2) Provided a benchmark for Industrial Design in Consumer Products
3) Provided a platform for all developers (well known and new) to sell their products to the countless number of users of Apple products (Note: some will say it's evil to take a 30% cut of the sale but it truly isn't given the exposure these applications have to potential users) and the potential for these developers to make more money than they ever could alone.
4) Provided hardware that today is being used in healthcare, classrooms, businesses for (we hope) the betterment of society.

I mean, you could argue he's not a good human being for not contributing money to charity but the guy has done more for society with a company than cutting a check to a foreign country or foundation ever would.

If anything, it's nice to see someone like him doesn't have a foundation as many wealthy individuals use those as tax shelters. That's a generalization but I'm aware and have been around people like this.

Let's not forget that he only makes a $1 a year from Apple. This clearly isn't about money to this man. The reason why Apple is doing so well isn't because Jobs is doing it to get rich, it's because he has an undying passion for what he does. That's the kind of integrity I wish more companies would operate with.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Maybe he even believes in charity without talking about it? Who knows? What could be more unimportant?
Rich people giving away their money will not change the world.

Just crossed my mind: maybe Jobs even posts on macrumors :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.