Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DetroitDrillSGT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
MD, U.S.
Yes thats right....Drop Test

No not on purpose, but Im glad to report, everything seems fine.

So I was standing by my kitchen table, which is one of those modern, taller models. I had just brought up my MBA from the basement, in its new Incase sleeve.

I was talking to the wife and trying to unzip the sleeve to show her something, when it fell!!!!!!

The height was about 4 ft, it fell straight up and down, I know this because the edge landed on my bare toe, then hit the floor. It was still in the case, although the case was unzipped. I quickly picked it up and inspected it for dents or marks...good there :)

Then turned it on and I am very happy to report that it is all good. Toe nail is turning black and blue already though, but I have insurance for that :D

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
Who needs toes anyway?

Question for you, I noticed you have an Air and an iPad. I just got a new iPad, but debated between it and an Air. I already have a MBP, so I am looking for a more portable way for web surfing and light stuff. So, my question, do you find yourself using your Air or your iPad more?

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I've had a black and blue toe for about 3 months now. Still not going away. Any tips?

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
I've had a black and blue toe for about 3 months now. Still not going away. Any tips?

I had a black and blue big toenail for awhile. Eventually, it fell off, wasn't painful at all not having a toenail, but it looked weird. It took a year for the nail to grow back.

Last edited:

DetroitDrillSGT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
MD, U.S.
@Ivebeendrinkin Well, I have had the iPad since Christmas and just got the MBA about a week ago.

I had gotten quite comfortable with the iPad as far as surfing and emails, it makes it soo easy, and with the 3G model, can go anywhere.

So far, I havent used the MBA to its full potential yet. With the instant on, it is very easy to check email and surf, if your near a Wifi spot. Which my MBA is so far, I havent taken it out of the house yet.

I am starting to use the MBA more when I have time to play around, but for quick looks I scoop up the iPad.

DetroitDrillSGT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
MD, U.S.
@vincenz Heat up a pin, place the tip on the nail and burn a hole through it.. That will let the puss and blood out. Make sure to clean and sanitize before and after.

Or see a doc:cool:

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
@Ivebeendrinkin Well, I have had the iPad since Christmas and just got the MBA about a week ago.

I had gotten quite comfortable with the iPad as far as surfing and emails, it makes it soo easy, and with the 3G model, can go anywhere.

So far, I havent used the MBA to its full potential yet. With the instant on, it is very easy to check email and surf, if your near a Wifi spot. Which my MBA is so far, I havent taken it out of the house yet.

I am starting to use the MBA more when I have time to play around, but for quick looks I scoop up the iPad.

Thanks! I am looking more for quick looks, so I think I made the right choice. Hope you enjoy both, glad your new Air is okay.

keviikev

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
I was anti speck case for MBA but now have it on plus a colcasa sleeve for drop protection. Good to hear that your sleeve and toe protected your MBA

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Who needs toes anyway?

Question for you, I noticed you have an Air and an iPad. I just got a new iPad, but debated between it and an Air. I already have a MBP, so I am looking for a more portable way for web surfing and light stuff. So, my question, do you find yourself using your Air or your iPad more?

I'll throw in my 2 cents on the iPad / Air question, I have both the 11 and 13" and an iPad 1.

The MBA has replaced my iPad completely, a notebook just does everything better, faster and with less frustration than an iPad. That being said I like my iPad I use it mostly as a GPS in my car and for 'fun', light entertainment, I like my iPad because it's cool, but for my needs not a good as the Air. I prefer the Air in every case except my car ... couch, bed, cafe, leaning back on my office chair it's great.

My preference is the 13", more screen real estate = much less scrolling ... one is as easy to carry as the other.

Why I have two MBA's ... wanted to test them both out, the 11" I'll pass on to one of my staff. 11" is great too, deciding to settle on the 13" was easy though.

To the OP - Sorry to hear about the toe, happy to hear your MBA is okay!

sull8000

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I have both, and love them both, and use them for completely different purposes. The iPad is for consuming content: for reading news (Zite is amazing btw, you should check it out), for reading books, for playing games. The MBA is for creating content: for writing, for coding, for graphics work.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Not a true drop test... Your soft cushiony toe broke the fall.

Try this again without the toe and let us know how you faired.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
I have both, and love them both, and use them for completely different purposes. The iPad is for consuming content: for reading news (Zite is amazing btw, you should check it out), for reading books, for playing games. The MBA is for creating content: for writing, for coding, for graphics work.

Ditto - my iPad goes with me everywhere, my Macbook Air goes with me around 50% of the time.

random47

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009

Which Air do you have 11 or 13? And what are the spec? Im considering getting an air for some coding and graphics work, but I am not sure if it is powerful enough.

racheldeet

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
My MBA 13" was dropped from a friend's arms onto concrete while in the process of moving apartments. Small nick in the casing, otherwise fine. :)

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I'll throw in my 2 cents on the iPad / Air question, I have both the 11 and 13" and an iPad 1.

The MBA has replaced my iPad completely, a notebook just does everything better, faster and with less frustration than an iPad. That being said I like my iPad I use it mostly as a GPS in my car and for 'fun', light entertainment, I like my iPad because it's cool, but for my needs not a good as the Air. I prefer the Air in every case except my car ... couch, bed, cafe, leaning back on my office chair it's great.
You beat me to it. I have had an iPad since shortly after they were introduced last April. The iPad became my go to device for use when I was watching TV or wandering around doing other things because using my 17 inch MBP while I was doing other things was just less convenient than the MBA was. When I got a 13 inch MBA in October, it soon replaced the iPad for virtually everything I do. I probably don't use the iPad 10 percent of the time these days.

sull8000

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
Which Air do you have 11 or 13? And what are the spec? Im considering getting an air for some coding and graphics work, but I am not sure if it is powerful enough.

I have the 13" Ultimate. It's definitely more than enough for XCode and Photoshop. I had the same concerns you did before I bought it, but not any more. It's awesome.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
@vincenz Heat up a pin, place the tip on the nail and burn a hole through it.. That will let the puss and blood out. Make sure to clean and sanitize before and after.

Or see a doc:cool:

Ahh, I should've tried this right when it happened. Now I think it's all dried up. I guess I have to wait for it to fall off. Lesson learned: don't kick hard snow.

I guess no flip flops this summer :(

I feel like I've learned so much about toes.

:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.