Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

135156-remote_app_up.jpg

Apple today released a minor update to its Remote application for iOS devices, bringing performance enhancements and a new "skip back" button for video content.What's new

- Improvements when connecting to iTunes or Apple TV
- Addition of a "skip back" button when playing video
- Additional stability and performance improvementsApple last updated Remote in late December to add AirPlay video and Internet radio support.

Article Link: Apple Releases Minor Update to 'Remote' App

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I hate the "skip back" button.

I wish they'd implement a scrollwheel type mechanism. It made the iPod the clear leader for most of a decade.

Do you seriously wish for a physical scrollwheel? I think that ship has sailed, my friend.

I like the gradient scrubbing, or whatever it's called. When you move down as you scroll, it goes slower. Works fine for me.

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
It's now "Connecting to library" every time I switching to it. That's not very multitasking...
The whole "connecting to library" is faster now than before, though.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
controls

really wish there was the ability to control remote with multitask controls and (more importantly) lock screen controls just like iPod app.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I like the skip back button for podcasts but I can't say that I ever actually use the remote app. It is nice for podcasts when I miss a joke or something and I can go back 30 seconds with 1 button press.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Do you seriously wish for a physical scrollwheel? I think that ship has sailed, my friend.

I like the gradient scrubbing, or whatever it's called. When you move down as you scroll, it goes slower. Works fine for me.

Which, oddly, the Remote app does not do.

Things are feeling quite cluttered now, between AirPlay, Home Sharing in the iPod app, controlling AirPlay in the Remote app...

In particular: there isn't an elegant way to switch between playing something in iTunes and on an iOS device. Both can act as AirPlay sources, but neither are set to receive AirPlay (outside of some rough cobbled-together third party apps)... so while it's easy to pipe output from iTunes/iPod to an Apple TV, switching output between iTunes and iPod requires juggling between Remote app and iPod app, with lots of manual navigation.

I think a more integrated approach is warranted... one that includes the ability for Remote app to select the iOS device itself as output.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
It would be great if the Remote app could stream perfectly synced audio from the videos being played. This would be very useful for late-night viewing.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Sol: AirFoil does what you want. Sorta. (Assuming the video is being displayed by the computer directly, and not AirPlay'd to a TV)

You connect the free AirFoil Speaker app on your iOS device to AirFoil running on Windows/Mac ($25, free trial). The iOS app works quite nicely, and supports multitasking/background streaming goodness.

However, while you can capture and output the sound from QuickTime or iTunes, the sound will lag by a couple seconds. In order to get the audio and video in sync, you have to play the video through AirFoil's built-in "AirFoil Video Player" component, which means you lose the remote-control aspect.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL

No, not at all! I want a "scroolwheel type mechanism", and since it's a multitouch display it would seem that making clockwise circular motions on the screen would fast forward the track. Not a physical thing at all.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Sol: AirFoil does what you want. Sorta. (Assuming the video is being displayed by the computer directly, and not AirPlay'd to a TV)

Thank you for the suggestion West. I wanted the sound streaming functionality in the Remote App to use with the Apple TV. For convenience it would be better to have headphones plugged into an iPod instead of the hi-fi amp, because an extension cable would not be necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.