Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barbarbar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Hi, i want to buy and ipad 2, and i want to know if you have tried to play mkv files or divx in oplayer or vlc. With hdmi out maybe?

Thanks!

barbarbar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
They will need to be converted.

In ipad 1, with oplayer i can see divx's withouth conversions.

My question is if any of the ipad 2 owners have tried with an mkv file.

because ipad 2 is more powerful than ipad 1, mkv files should be played ok.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
divx is a broad range of films. Some may play, others wont without conversion.

MKV is a container file, much like a zip file, it wont be supported natively on iPad 2 and would be very surprised if there is some app out there that will play them without conversion.

barbarbar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Yes i have tried buzzplayer, oplayer hd, cinexplayer, yxplayer and vlc, but on my iPad 1, and on 1 mkv play is too slow and audio doesn't go with video, i think than the gpu of ipad 2 can play mkvs ok

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yes i have tried buzzplayer, oplayer hd, cinexplayer, yxplayer and vlc, but on my iPad 1, and on 1 mkv play is too slow and audio doesn't go with video, i think than the gpu of ipad 2 can play mkvs ok
As was already mentioned, MKV is just a container format, not a video codec. MKV can contain videos encoded in MPEG 2, MPEG 4 ASP (which is used by Xvid), MPEG 4 AVC (which is used in native Apple MP4 files) and various other formats. The performance you will see depends entirely on the encoding of the video. Not being able to play one particular MKV file does not mean you can't play any.

That said, the MKV container format can at this time only be read by 3rd party players. And to my knowledge these players can not use hardware-accelerated video decoding on the iPad (since Apple does not expose public APIs for this), so they have to do the decoding in software.

barbarbar

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
OK, thanks, that´s i want to know. Anybody has tested oplayer or something similar in his ipad.

Thanks!

As was already mentioned, MKV is just a container format, not a video codec. MKV can contain videos encoded in MPEG 2, MPEG 4 ASP (which is used by Xvid), MPEG 4 AVC (which is used in native Apple MP4 files) and various other formats. The performance you will see depends entirely on the encoding of the video. Not being able to play one particular MKV file does not mean you can't play any.

That said, the MKV container format can at this time only be read by 3rd party players. And to my knowledge these players can not use hardware-accelerated video decoding on the iPad (since Apple does not expose public APIs for this), so they have to do the decoding in software.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Air video will do the live conversion from my Mac playing mkv's and others and AirPlay to my atv2.

I have the vlc app, but haven't put any movies on my ipad2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.