Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Hey fellow Apple/iPad lovers/haters,

Next week, the new iPad 2 will be released in Europe and I would like to have your opinions on my particular choice of the iPad 2 model.

Well, I decided to buy the 64GB Wi-Fi only version for the following reasons:

- Price: the 3G model is still more expensive than the Wi-Fi one (in addition to that you will have to pay for the 3G abonnement);

- Ugly design of the 3G model: I do not like the black plastic strip on the back of the iPad 2;

- The 3G version is less sturdy: it is quite obvious considering that black plastic strip (many users had issues with the first gen iPad 3G, which had broken strips);

- Low quality microphone on the 3g model: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipad-2-wi-fi-3g-models-show-microphone-differences/;

- Potential heat issues: because of the extra hardware added to the iPad 2;

- More weight: the iPad 2 3G is a bit heavier;

What do you think about this and which model have you chosen???

eyelobes

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
I ended up getting a 16gb black model.

I didn't even consider the 3G model just for the sole fast that I can tether the iPad off of my android phone for free.

Also, I only got 16GB because I cloud all my music through Audiogalaxy and will get the camera kit for movie storage.

16GB *should* be more than enough for apps

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
- Price: the 3G model is still more expensive than the Wi-Fi one (in addition to that you will have to pay for the 3G abonnement);

you pay for being able to use the internet without wifi... if it's worth it to you, thats not a reason not to choose the 3G version

- Ugly design of the 3G model: I do not like the black plastic strip on the back of the iPad 2;

that's your opinion, and i agree with it. but again, it's probably worth having that there for NOT RELYING ON WIFI

- The 3G version is less sturdy: it is quite obvious considering that black plastic strip (many users had issues with the first gen iPad 3G, which had broken strips);

i'd have to see tests that would prove this.

again, any tests that prove this?

the weight difference from iPad 1 to iPad 2 is said to not even be noticiable, how would a chip and an antenna really add much of a difference?

I think the functionality of the 3G outweighs any of these arguments, unless you have an iPhone with wifi hotspot (which I do) and doesnt require the need for 3G.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I got mine mostly for the integrated GPS functionality that's only in the 3G model. I was intending (and still do) to tether to my phone for web access, and just use the GPS chip of the 3G. The iPad 2 is my first iPad, so I can't speak to comparisons with the first one, but I think the plastic antenna guard is fine...don't forsee any issues with it.

The smart cover on the other hand...

SSpiro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I didn't even consider the 3G model just for the sole fast that I can tether the iPad off of my android phone for free.

This.

Why pay a premium for the device (ipad2), and a second 3G data package when I already have unlimited through VZW on my rooted droid?

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008

It's true the plastic strip damages easily. I had a 3G and dropped it while in a case to the floor and a chunk of the plastic still sheared off. I decided on a WIFI version for the iPad2 since I really didn't need 3G.
The WIFI is a better investment if you upgrade every year as you don't lose as much money.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
It's true the plastic strip damages easily. I had a 3G and dropped it while in a case to the floor and a chunk of the plastic still sheared off. I decided on a WIFI version for the iPad2 since I really didn't need 3G.
The WIFI is a better investment if you upgrade every year as you don't lose as much money.

Ahh, that makes sense. I thought he was referring to the overall sturdiness of the enclosing.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
you pay for being able to use the internet without wifi... if it's worth it to you, thats not a reason not to choose the 3G version

that's your opinion, and i agree with it. but again, it's probably worth having that there for NOT RELYING ON WIFI

i'd have to see tests that would prove this.

again, any tests that prove this?

the weight difference from iPad 1 to iPad 2 is said to not even be noticiable, how would a chip and an antenna really add much of a difference?

I think the functionality of the 3G outweighs any of these arguments, unless you have an iPhone with wifi hotspot (which I do) and doesnt require the need for 3G.

Strangely enough, you forget to discuss the microphone issue. :) or is it pretty much self-explanatory? :)

JayInNJ

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009

Next week, the new iPad 2 will be released in Europe and I would like to have your opinions on my particular choice of the iPad 2 model.

Well, I decided to buy the 64GB Wi-Fi only version for the following reasons:

- Low quality microphone on the 3g model: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipad-2-wi-fi-3g-models-show-microphone-differences/;

I refused to pay $129 for 3G. That is the biggest ripoff I have ever seen. A 3G chip is a few bucks. Look at the Kindle, it is only $50 more for 3G and it includes the lifetime 3G service. If anything it should be equal or cheaper for 3G and be subsidized like most smartphones/tablets.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I refused to pay $129 for 3G. That is the biggest ripoff I have ever seen. A 3G chip is a few bucks. Look at the Kindle, it is only $50 more for 3G and it includes the lifetime 3G service. If anything it should be equal or cheaper for 3G and be subsidized like most smartphones/tablets.

Well then isn't it a wonderful thing that you don't have to buy the 3G? After nearly a year of using my 3G, I would never consider a WiFi only iPad. I travel frequently and free WiFi, despite what everyone thinks, is a rarity. Even (especially?) in Europe, where the only free WiFi I ever encountered was at McDonald's. Having the option of 3G abroad turns a great device into a really great one. And tethering? It's not for me. And certainly not an option abroad.

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Chapel Hill
Cost.

If you live/work around wifi and have a smart phone, you can avoid 3G. Otherwise, open your wallet but have the benefit of connectivity always, depending on whether you choose ATT or Verizon though.

JayInNJ

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Well then isn't it a wonderful thing that you don't have to buy the 3G? After nearly a year of using my 3G, I would never consider a WiFi only iPad. I travel frequently and free WiFi, despite what everyone thinks, is a rarity. Even (especially?) in Europe, where the only free WiFi I ever encountered was at McDonald's. Having the option of 3G abroad turns a great device into a really great one. And tethering? It's not for me. And certainly not an option abroad.

Obviously if you need it then you have no choice. But I just find it ludicrous that it costs more for the 3G option. I usually have at least two laptops, a blackberry, and kindle when I travel so I probably won't be bringing the iPad on the road with me.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX

Agreed. I tried the wifi model last year when it launched, and I was very frustrated by not having access unless I was in a wifi hotspot: the only place that I could get wifi was at home or at Starbucks or McDonald's, and I didn't like having to hunt down a free, accessible wifi spot every time that I wanted to use the internet. For me, the 3G is worth the cost. If you don't have a need for 3G, or if you have an option like a 3G phone that you can tether, then great.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Obviously if you need it then you have no choice. But I just find it ludicrous that it costs more for the 3G option. I usually have at least two laptops, a blackberry, and kindle when I travel so I probably won't be bringing the iPad on the road with me.

In the last 6 months I've spent 2 weeks in Europe and a week in Mexico with nothing but the iPad (in addition to business trips within the US). If I was traveling with everything you list, then I'd see your point.

Rather than finding it ludicrous that 3G (with GPS) costs more, be grateful that you can buy it without 3G/GPS for less. This "3G costs more" applies to Xoom and the Galaxy Tablet as well, Apple didn't invent it.

JayInNJ

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
In the last 6 months I've spent 2 weeks in Europe and a week in Mexico with nothing but the iPad (in addition to business trips within the US). If I was traveling with everything you list, then I'd see your point.

Rather than finding it ludicrous that 3G (with GPS) costs more, be grateful that you can buy it without 3G/GPS for less. This "3G costs more" applies to Xoom and the Galaxy Tablet as well, Apple didn't invent it.

Agree, I am not just blaming Apple (only cited Kindle not being priced this way) for overpricing that option. If people are willing to pay this much for the option of paying an additional monthly fee, then they can sell it at any price they want. I am not willing to. The 3G chip plus other hardware would roughly be $3-5 (considering the A5 processor is $25). They should offer it as a subsidized option on Verizon and ATT, making it cheaper than the WiFi version or unlocked for the current price. However, since the precedence has been set and it still sells like hot cakes, I don't think they will move in that direction.

To answer the OP, the only answer is if you need 3G service then get it, if not then don't bother given the cost difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.