Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
my friend is selling me his iphone 4, he is on 4.0.1 and wants to wipe out all his personal data himself before he hands me the phone , he does not undestand jailbreaking or unlocking.

can some one please help me with what he need to do in order for it to stay on 4.0.1 and unlock-able and wipe all his data off the phone .

thanks

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
my friend is selling me his iphone 4, he is on 4.0.1 and wants to wipe out all his personal data himself before he hands me the phone , he does not undestand jailbreaking or unlocking.

can some one please help me with what he need to do in order for it to stay on 4.0.1 and unlock-able and wipe all his data off the phone .

thanks
543.jpg

manually delete the info? takes like 10 mins.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
ok but what info is that ???? i am not sure how is it done on iphone manually ... i know if you do erase all settings it messes your phone us

settings/general/earse all content and settings

then if that doesnt delete everything connect to itunes, just dont say yes to upgrade and if there is still apps/music/pictures on it unsync or delete manuallly, pretty much do everything but restore in intunes that will update the OS

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010

then if that doesnt delete everything connect to itunes, just dont say yes to upgrade and if there is still apps/music/pictures on it unsync or delete manuallly, pretty much do everything but restore in intunes that will update the OS

I have heard "earse all content and settings" deleted every thing , even the iOs off your iphone ..that's why i am nervous about asking him to do that

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009

Nvmnd

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Does he have shsh blobs on cydia?
If not I wouldn't try the erase all option cause it might mess up the phone and then you'd need to restore to the latest firmware.
Maybe delete his contacts, texts, email account and apps and log out of his iTunes account in order to stay on 4.0.1

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Does he have shsh blobs on cydia?
If not I wouldn't try the erase all option cause it might mess up the phone and then you'd need to restore to the latest firmware.
Maybe delete his contacts, texts, email account and apps and log out of his iTunes account in order to stay on 4.0.1

I dont know if he knows what SHSH is ... should he delete his contacts , emails and text app and stuff in itunes and sync it ?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
thats a tab in itunes correct? sorry i am not good at this

You can do it thru itunes, if you sync with a new library it would remove all music, apps and everything from the old library that it was synced to.
You might have to remove a few things manually also on the phone like email accounts thru settings and log out from his appstore login etc...

Claude626

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Well, if he is worried about his data persisting after you jailbreak the phone under your possession, then why not have him witness your jailbreaking process?

Since jailbreaking the phone pretty much requires a rewrite of the entire iOS, it will wipe clean of all his data.

I would assume you would want to jailbreak with the latest iOS version while retaining the baseband. This is what pwnagetool does, no?

He can then review the phone when you are done. It's basically a blank slate at that state anyways.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Since jailbreaking the phone pretty much requires a rewrite of the entire iOS, it will wipe clean of all his data.

I would assume you would want to jailbreak with the latest iOS version while retaining the baseband. This is what pwnagetool does, no?

He can then review the phone when you are done. It's basically a blank slate at that state anyways.

That is false.
JB does not rewrite the entire iOS.
And pwnage tool hasnt been updated to work with 4.3 so he cannot use that either since he doesnt have shsh blobs for 4.2.1

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If your friend is willing to d/l tiny umbrella, he can check which blobs he has. Or he can go to Cydia and check on the opening screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.