Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheReadyPrompt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Below is an email exchange I had with Bertrand Serlet, SVP of software at Apple. Could his terse and brief reply mean X11 will not work with OS X Lion?

Begin forwarded message:

Date: March 18, 2011 10:38:47 PM EDT
To: Joe Cassara <joecassara@me.com>
Cc: Bertrand Serlet <bserlet@apple.com>
Subject: Re: X11 in OS X Lion?

Maybe it's time to move on from the Commodore 64 software…
* *-- Bertrand

On Mar 18, 2011, at 7:08 PM, Joe Cassara wrote:

Hi Bertrand,

Will OS X Lion still include the XWindow system? *Since LION will no longer support Rosetta, my favorite Commodore 64 emulator (Power64) will no longer work. The only alternative (VICE) requires X11. *

Kind regards,

Joe Cassara
Miami, FL

gregoryalee

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
Below is an email exchange I had with Bertrand Serlet, SVP of software at Apple. Could his terse and brief reply mean X11 will not work with OS X Lion?

Begin forwarded message:

Date: March 18, 2011 10:38:47 PM EDT
To: Joe Cassara <joecassara@me.com>
Cc: Bertrand Serlet <bserlet@apple.com>
Subject: Re: X11 in OS X Lion?

Maybe it's time to move on from the Commodore 64 software…
* *-- Bertrand

On Mar 18, 2011, at 7:08 PM, Joe Cassara wrote:

Hi Bertrand,

Will OS X Lion still include the XWindow system? *Since LION will no longer support Rosetta, my favorite Commodore 64 emulator (Power64) will no longer work. The only alternative (VICE) requires X11. *

Kind regards,

Joe Cassara
Miami, FL

Wow that was a harsh reply.:eek:

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Wow...I'd be pretty pissed if I were you.

I take that back - I'd have started a bit of a fuss.

But it sounds like he was just being a dick, and X11 will still be around. It had better be, or no Lion for me.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Pretty fair reply, imo. Imagine if your SVP of a major tech company and people are emailing you about Commodore freaking 64 emulators.

Plus, in no way does his email in any way read that X11 is disappearing from OS X. pretty inaccurate thread title.

MovingWater

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2010
Canada

Begin forwarded message:

For what purpose did you choose to include the employee's name, email address, and title?

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Thanks. I hope it's there in the gold master and Bertrand was just being a dick.

If it's missing from the first beta/preview does that mean it's getting an overhaul?

If nothing was happening to it would have just been included.
Wait it's an optional download now so maybe it's just moving to the AppStore as it's own product.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I don't think this is a harsh reply, I think it is more of a joke thing. A lot of context is lost through an email.

Not to mention maybe the guys first language isn't English? I work with a lot of people from all over and some things they say can sound pretty harsh but in reality a lot of it is lost in translation.

Also I'd delete his email address and name. Its never a good idea to put that on the internet where someone could lose their job over it.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Great joke for his last weeks at Apple.

Or Is this why he's leaving. All that work building Cocoa and people still email him about running C64 games in X11. Enough to make any one decide life is better in Pure Science.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.