Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joltaxt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
I've bought 3 so far. Angry Birds, World of Good, and Dead Space.

The most important factor to me is replay value. I don't like wasting money. What do you recommend?

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Carcassonne is still my most played iPad game - tons of replay value especially if you play against real people. Civ Rev is a lot of fun too - yeah, I know it "sucks" compared to proper Civ, but I'm over it. Got a lot of value out of Scrabble (though people say Words With Friends is better) and also (embarrassingly) I've got a lot of games of Boggle under my belt. Weird Worlds is great too, if you like sci-fi stuff - a lot of replay value there.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Try Flight Control HD. It's very simple but fun to play and has a lot of replay value. Can pick it up and play a quick fun game in a few minutes time.

Also what's cool is you can play over network with friends or over bluetooth locally, and you can check your scores against other people in your area. For example I was playing 1 map and I kept getting close to beating this guy that was 2 miles from my location - finally yesterday I surpassed his top score...

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If it doesn't have to be "action", give Osmos a try. Unique and addictive gameplay, and beautiful etherial graphics. I've had it since it came out and keep coming back to it. :)

iPadLad

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011

The most important factor to me is replay value. I don't like wasting money. What do you recommend?

Puzzle Quest 2 - not great replay value but it will take you a loooong time to finish

And Real Golf by Gameloft - lots of replay value and really fun to play actually

And if you don't like wasting money check out these iPad games on sale

There are usually upwards of 200 ipad games on sale every day...i'm sure you'll find somethign there

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I've owned an iPad since last year and I still haven't bought an iPad-only app. I might just try some of these.

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Galaxy Of Fire 2 (mixture of star control 2 and wing commander type play)
Dungeon Hunter 2 (similar to diablo games)

My favorite 2 by far and I have pretty much anything classified as hardcore... If you are looking for a similar game to Morrowwind than try out Aralon

rockinred

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
Depends on the type of game. My best arcade type game is Super Street fighter iv. It is great and if you have two devices you can bluetooth connect and play against each other. I have others like scrabble, blue block, pinball HD are cool too. There are too many variations...all for different tastes. I hav ea ton

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Pinball HD, Real Racing 2 and Tetris are the ones I play the most. I'd love to find a game that really draws you in, like Zelda or even Pokemon. Hopefully it's just a matter of time. Too many super-casual games and FPSs with awful controls.

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I don't know why but I love cut-the-rope and fruit ninja. cut-the-rope I beat a bit too easily for the money. Fruit ninja is just stupid addictive trying to beat your old score. Just started playing TinkerBox and like it but haven't played long enough to know true value.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

joltaxt said:

World of Goo is probably the best truss building game in the app store.

Need for Speed:Hot Pursuit is pretty fun. It has multiplayer where one can play as police and other as convict.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
If your into 4x games, then Ascendancy is available for the iPad. It is a very long game, meaning I haven't finished one. A variant of the classic Master of Orion 4x game.

They need to fix a few interface issues and desperately need a manual. While I like to see more 4x games come to the iPad the lack of true documentation for even some simple games makes me spend more time learning what everything does instead of playing.

vandal138

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2006
I've been searching for games alot lately too. It seems like there are only about 15 games that keep getting repeated on this list.

The less popular games that I enjoy playing most are:
Xplane - flight simulator
Dodonpachi - old arcade shooter
sentinel 3 - so far, a fun tower defense game
solipskier - great quick pick up and play skiing game
peggle - addictive! pachinko type game
pinball HD- the only decent pinball game i found so far
mega worm - real fun man eating worm game... think Tremors in 8 bit.

and lastly....
enviro-bear 2000 - bear driving simulator
not so much replay value, but I think its a great cheap game to have. Tons of fun!

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
My husband and I are both stupidly addicted to Pocket Frogs right now. It's just a simple breeding-and-collecting game, but if you like that kind of thing it will keep you busy for a very long time trying to collect all the awards. And it's free!

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Can't beleive I forgot Gam Dev Story.

It's a sim game very much in the old school style of theme hospital and those types of games.

You run a game developement studio and you need to hire staff, level them up, make, advertise and then release games.

You can combine so many weird genres and stuff and it has good replay value. It's an easy one to get hooked on.

If your into football (Soccer) You can't go wrong with football manager, tons or replay value there.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002

Do you prefer some genres over others ? Which are your favorites ? (Action puzzle, RPG, strategy, etc…)

My personal favorite game so far is Civilization Revolution but it is not for everyone. Excellent replay value. They haven't implemented scenarios but they made up for it with customizable game settings. Lots of replay value. User interface could use some polishing and graphics could be much better.

Galaxy Of Fire 2 (mixture of star control 2 and wing commander type play)

Star Control 2 !!!111oneone :eek:

I'm running to the app store to give it a try.

Edit:

I forgot to mention. I hated all games that made use of virtual thumbsticks for control until I gave the Fling thumbsticks a try. (Little plastic thumbsticks that stick to you iPad with suction cups). It completely changed iPad gaming for me.

Last edited:

basemansix8

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
Try Foursight - FreeAppFriday

We're obviously biased but Foursight is FREE and it's for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch!

It's a classic strategy board game where half of the pieces you control are yours and the other half are the opponents! Place the opponents pieces in bad places so they can't score points! Sharpens your critical thinking skills!

(iTunes Link -> http://blu.tc/f9Ge6E )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.