Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xDeathReaperx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2009
--So I've heard the news about AT&T acquiring T-Mobile.

My question is: Will Tmobile (Soon to be AT&T) have the iphone 5 available for sale when it comes out?

If so how will it work? I'm so confused..

Thanks.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
--So I've heard the news about AT&T acquiring T-Mobile.

My question is: Will Tmobile (Soon to be AT&T) have the iphone 5 available for sale when it comes out?

If so how will it work? I'm so confused..

Thanks.

The acquisition has to be approved by the DOJ and FCC. It's not soon anything right now. With that in mind, why would ANYONE on here know if T-Mobile will have the iPhone 5.

Some of the questions asked on here make me wonder if anyone can read before they type.:rolleyes:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm not sure how long this deal will take, but T-Mobile will probably go bye-bye. When AT&T bought Cingular, Cingular went bye-bye. I think Verizon did the same with Alltel. Existing T-Mobile customers will be grandfathered in and then have to sign up for AT&T plans when they change things.

I'm assuming this all means that the iPhone 5 will have "4G" through HSPA+. It will probably take another year to get LTE, which I believe is MUCH faster. I mean at this rate you might as well call LTE 5G and go for the real-life version of the Best Buy commercial. We can get 6G by Christmas 2012, be on our way to 10G by 2015.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Nope, T-Mobile announce earlier that they don't plan on carrying the iPhone, only 'current phones" (and then listed some android devices)
-this is not an exact quote but it was something along those lines-

clarknick67

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Nope, T-Mobile announce earlier that they don't plan on carrying the iPhone, only 'current phones" (and then listed some android devices)
-this is not an exact quote but it was something along those lines-

they don't plan on carrying the iPhone, only 'current phones"?? sure for that?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

here is t-mobile's q&a about the at&t acuisition.

Is T-Mobile USA getting the iPhone?
T-Mobile USA remains an independent company. The acquisition is expected to be completed in approximately 12 months. We do not offer the iPhone. We offer cutting edge devices like the Samsung Galaxy S 4G and coming soon our new Sidekick 4G.

no firm wording there, but it looks to me that apple has no reason to offer an iphone for t-mobile customers. why tweak their device for t-mobile when customers can just buy the at&t iphone when the acquisition deal is complete?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

"T-Mobile USA remains an independent company. The acquisition is expected to be completed in approximately 12 months. We do not offer the iPhone. We offer cutting edge devices like the Samsung Galaxy S 4G and coming soon our new Sidekick 4G." Heres the exact quote. To me that implies that the iPhone is not a cutting edge device, but maybe I'm interpreting it the wrong way. You decide.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Because 4G is a marketing term. Just like saying the only devices you carry are the "cutting edge" ones.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I hope it will in the Netherlands. I am not sure how the ATT/T-Mobile deal will affect T-mobile in other countries..

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I hope it will in the Netherlands. I am not sure how the ATT/T-Mobile deal will affect T-mobile in other countries..

it doesn't, except for possibly some roaming agreements if you travel to the US. And unless Apple already has an iPhone tweaked for T-Mobile ready to go it is very unlikely that T-Moble USA will get the iPhone before it disappears.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Once the acquisition is complete they'll be "AT&T" for intents and purposes and so why wouldn't existing T-Mo customers be able to puchase the iPhone. I wouldn't hold my breath on this. There's alot of hoops that both organizations to go through before this can occur. The question that will help determine the timing is whether apple will add the T-Mo Frequency to the 3G (or 4G) iPhone?

I'm not sure of T-Mo's HSPA+ implementation operates on a different frequency then AT&T's but their 3G does. Given the cost, I'm not sure AT&T will invest in switching that over, but it makes sense to operate on a unified 4G platform. How that comes to be will impact when customers can expect iPhone. If I were a bettin man, I'd say maybe the iPhone 6 or 7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.