Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I have a little challenge for all those people who glibly state how easily they can fear the superiority of SACD over CD, or 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 192khz and 256 kbps compressed iTunes tracks vs the uncompressed source. I have made a composite track which contains segments that are 223 kbps AAC and others which are uncompressed.

Download and listen to the track and tell me the time codes for the different sections. Bet you can't. :cool:

http://hotfile.com/dl/106252620/faa0282/Srceplus223aac.rar.html

I tried this and I couldn't tell where the transitions are (Mac->MOTU Ultralight->Genelec 8020A monitors).

Having said that (and I'm not trying to wriggle out of this, honest!) you've chosen a track which I'd expect to compress extremely well (nice track BTW). You have a very smooth and sparsely produced ambient style electronica track, with no distorted instruments, minimal high frequency content and cymbal/hihat/whitenoise type sounds set back in the mix.

My test track (which I CAN routinely hear the difference on when comparing different compression) is 'Overkill' by Motorhead. Contrary to expectations, this track is pretty well recorded, with minimal compression or other post processing. It contains Lemmy's characteristic distorted bass, distorted guitar and constant splashing cymbals throughout. Below 250kbit/s VBR LAME mp3 (which is my standard compression setting) the cymbals really fall apart and you hear compression, filtering and ducking artefacts.

That said - even on this I think I'd have some trouble detecting multiple time codes if sections were compressed. I find that over-compressed audio identifies itself more by long-term weariness when listening to it, rather than clear short term effects.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Now we just need the iDevices to support the 24-bit audio, so I don't have to keep two copies of all my 24-bit audio in my library.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
... Below 250kbit/s VBR LAME mp3 (which is my standard compression setting) the cymbals really fall apart and you hear compression, filtering and ducking artefacts.

That said - even on this I think I'd have some trouble detecting multiple time codes if sections were compressed. I find that over-compressed audio identifies itself more by long-term weariness when listening to it, rather than clear short term effects.

Not to disagree but I think MP3 is "good enough" for most musical ppassages but falls apart only for brief instants, like some percusion hits and electronic (synth) sounds Compression is not so hard on "natural" sounds like woodwinds.

But I really have to ask why we are even talking about this in 2011. Terabyte disk drives sell for $90 now. What's the point of compressing music? I keep most of my library in Apple Lossless format.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Not to disagree but I think MP3 is "good enough" for most musical ppassages but falls apart only for brief instants, like some percusion hits and electronic (synth) sounds Compression is not so hard on "natural" sounds like woodwinds.

I think you're right... and that's why VBR is so good - it can dynamically reassign the bitrate to deal with the difficult bits, so sounds better overall.

But I really have to ask why we are even talking about this in 2011. Terabyte disk drives sell for $90 now. What's the point of compressing music? I keep most of my library in Apple Lossless format.

On the computer Apple lossless is absolutely fine. On my 32GB iPhone it isn't. If Apple gave better options for on-the-fly recompression than just 128kb/s (too low!) then all my library would be in ALAC.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

Portable devices. Wireless streaming (AirPort Express). We still haven't reached the point where lossless audio is practical for most people.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Portable devices. Wireless streaming (AirPort Express). We still haven't reached the point where lossless audio is practical for most people.

I'll agree about portable devices, but lossless audio is not an issue for Airport Express. Given you can broadcast 720p wirelessly with no problems, I don't think lossless 16-bit redbook CD is going to present any issues even with less than optimal speeds.

I use AAC 256 because I want one library for portable and home use (Apple hasn't figured out how to set up iTunes to automatically handle a dual-lossless/AAC library without wasting time converting to formats that are too low (128 can sound inferior to the ear than lossless whereas 256 has pretty much proven itself indistinguishable in double blind tests). Given all my tests have shown no audible differences with 256 to lossless (let alone all the professional tests that say the same), I quit worrying about lossless and just moved on. I keep a lossless backup of my CDs and use lossless for DTS CDs ,but that's it. The main library is all 256 AAC with a few dozen MP3s thrown in from Amazon (I stopped buying from iTunes since they use VBR these days which my car stereo won't play).

I wouldn't buy any "too big" to transfer over the Net arguments at this point either for lossless, though. I now have 10Gbps (30 and 50 are available for more money) and it can transfer an entire Apple HD 2-hour movie over in under 45 minutes. An entire unompressed redbook CD at 74 minutes would take less than 10 minutes to transfer (well less than a minute per song on average for a typical CD).

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I'll agree about portable devices, but lossless audio is not an issue for Airport Express.

While the specs agree with you, my experience has not. Streaming lossless files wirelessly has been problematic. Granted I'm in a house and my AirPort Extreme is one floor up and about 30 feet away laterally, but data transfer speeds have not been reliable enough for flawless lossless playback.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
While the specs agree with you, my experience has not. Streaming lossless files wirelessly has been problematic. Granted I'm in a house and my AirPort Extreme is one floor up and about 30 feet away laterally, but data transfer speeds have not been reliable enough for flawless lossless playback.

Well, all I can tell you is that I have two 1st Gen AppleTV units and two Airport Express units in my two-story house. My Netgear WNDR3700 router is on the far end of the house on the 2nd story. The downstairs AppleTV is about 36 feet away and a floor down and the upstairs unit is about 42 feet away on the same floor (HD movies transfer fine to both of them and ALAC isn't an issue; I play DTS CDs compressed with ALAC through both regularly). The downstairs unit transfers a little slower than the upstairs unit (more walls to go through), but both work at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (5 has a little weaker signal, but seems to stream higher-bit rate HD movies better). One of my Airport Express units is in the back of the house (in an addition) on the main floor and is probably about 65 feet away. It also plays fine. The other Airport Express is much closer (maybe 15 feet away on the same floor in the adjacent bedroom).

Maybe the problem is the Airport Extreme? I ran an Airport Express 802.11N secondary network before I upgraded the Netgear from the 3500 (single 2.4GHz radio) to the 3700 (dual 2.4 and 5GHz radios) (I then moved that Airport Express to the bedroom for another room of audio) and it did FAR FAR worse than the Netgear router for both range and speed (at either frequency). I've read that Apple purposely limited the broadcast range of the Airport Express as a primary router to "encourage" the purchase of the Airport Extreme, but even so it makes me wonder about the relative range of each as the main router. I tried the most expensive D-Link router BB carried before I bought the 3700 and it wasn't even close to as good as the 3500 for range. The 3700 is better than the 3500 even. With the latest firmware (1.0.7.98), it now works flawlessly.

GSPARKY

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
I personally still purchase CD's & import them onto iTunes in a WAV format. I don't purchase anything off iTunes due to them only offering AAC format files. I would be 100% happy if they gave customers the choice to purchase WAV files along with having the choice to still purchase AAC. I just refuse to purchase anything from iTunes until they allow 100% uncompressed music.

I currently have around 300 CD's & that collection is vastly increasing. They are all imported into my iTunes library in a WAV format & AAC format. I have a 2TB External Hard Drive to store everything on.

The 24 bit idea is a great thing to discuss but I don't see them doing this for a while. Mainly due not having many products that support it. Like I said, I'll be happy for now with just allows customers the choice of purchasing WAV format files. Not upconverted but uncompressed files.

We'll see what happens though. Until then, I'll just keep purchasing CD's.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
To all those that don't believe in the audible difference between 44.000 and 96.000 playback, do this simple:

1) Open the Audio Midi Setup app in your applications/utilities folder

2) Click on the built in output tab from the list on the left

3) On the right go to output tab and change the values of Format: to 96.000 and 2ch 24bit.

4) Open itunes and play a song.

Even if you listen this song from the speakers of your macbook, you will instantly identify a subtle difference. Try to listen to rock music with vocals (Scorpions, U2, Metallica e.t.c.). The sound will be less "digital", less fake, have a less flat and "grainy" feeling. It will be more organic. The songs will instantly get a sweeter presentation and any harsh cymbals and voice sibilance will get rounded. If you have a more expensive equipment then the difference will be much more prominent. I personally cannot listen to music at regular settings anymore with my Sennheiser 650 directly connected to my macbook.

To be able to easier identify the difference, try to change the settings while the song is playing from higher to lower resolution and vice versa. As at this level the changes on music character are more psychologically perceived. It has been found through studies that people find it easier to identify a difference when they go from listening a high resolution file back to a normal resolution one, so to better spot the difference try to leave the song play for a minute or two with the higher rez settings before you change it back to the normal ones.

Now, don't forget that you are just doing an up sampling on a regular file to half the maximum resolution (96.000 as opposed to 192.000) your macbook's DAC can handle. And still the difference is audible from the tiny speakers of your macbook. Think about listening an original studio master through a good pair of headphones!! I cant wait for the hi-rez era of mainstream music!!! :apple:

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Even if you listen this song from the speakers of your macbook, you will instantly identify a subtle difference. Try to listen to rock music with vocals
(Scorpions, U2, Metallica e.t.c.). The sound will be less "digital", less fake, have a less flat and "grainy" feeling. It will be more organic. The songs will

Bologna. It doesn't have a darn thing to do with 'organic'. It simply controls the frequency response (and the bits control dynamic range) as per Nyquist theorem. The ignorant crap about more bits or greater frequency response = more like analog has gone on for years and only shows that the people spreading it don't have a clue how digital audio actually works.

To make matters even more absurd, what you're suggesting people try is upsampling and you cannot make something out of nothing! There is no musical material to be gained by upsampling. If anything, you're introducing the possibility of more distortion. The only time upsampling ever helps (namely in video, not audio) is when the scaler in the device doing the upscaling (to work with the native display device's actual output) is better quality than the one in the display device (if it's worse, then you're better off letting the display do it). If the DAC used in an audio device were somehow more linear in its op-amp distortion in the 96kHz range than 44kHz (no reason it would be; if anything it's likely to be the other way around), then there might be some small benefit, but that's not a result of digital audio, but a crappy piece of equipment design.

Early CD audio designs did have a problem with frequency response in that the brick-wall filters they used very early on didn't have time to ramp down smoothly from 22.5kHz to 20kHz and caused frequency abberations. However, this problem was easily solved not long after the first players with oversampling (if you don't know what it is; look it up), enabling near perfect sound reproduction within the confines of the sampling frequency and dynamic range limits (most recordings don't even use that much information). No human can hear beyond 20kHz. Very few recordings contain even 85dB of dynamic range, let alone 96 or more. Analog turntables were doing well to get in the high 70s (and their usable frequency response falls to MUSH around 15kHz, well below CD standards). Most bad sounding early CDs had more to do with poor mastering (often using vinyl masters to short-cut the process instead of master tapes). Rock albums are rarely mixed for sound quality to begin with (louder = better to radio stations).

If there's a difference in your MBP when outputting a different format, there's something wrong with your hardware. The op-amp in the MBP powering your headphones is probably cheap crap and isn't offering up enough power to drive them cleanly. One can't discount the power of suggestion either. If you believe it will sound better, it probably will to you. It doesn't indicate a real difference, however. These sorts of things tend to disappear when double blind testing is used.

I do my own recording (analog acoustic guitar and vocals along with electric guitar and synthesizers as well) with Logic Pro and a FW audio interface driving $2k a pair ribbon speakers (same ones used in $50k Genesis II speakers) with a custom active crossover and over 500 watts per channel combined between the two amplifiers. There is NO audible difference between outputting 24/96 and 16/44 using that system (and unlike your example, which doesn't . Lossy compression is another matter, but it has nothing to do with 24/96 versus 16/44.

Seriously, the only thing you're doing by posting technical nonsense is further spreading ignorance about digital audio.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
No human can hear beyond 20kHz.

The ignorant crap about more bits or greater frequency response = more like analog has gone on for years and only shows that the people spreading it don't have a clue how digital audio actually works.

Seriously, the only thing you're doing by posting technical nonsense is further spreading ignorance about digital audio.

You are an ignorant. Have a reading here and stop spreading archaic opinions:
http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/3382-world_beyond_20khz.pdf

Sorry, I didnt have the intention to make it personal, but what you said was clearly a personal attack. I agree about the distortion comment though. Upsampling DOES introduce distortion on making the music a bit warmer. Recording studios are using upsabling for remastering in daily basis. And it is very common to up-sample in very high rate (such as up to 384khz) and then because some times music becomes a bit too warm they use cold digital gear to compensate.

There is no way to get the original sound of a 96000 file by upsampling, I agree. Oversampling and upsampling are signal processing steps that convert the signal to higher sampling rates for easier filtering. Properly done they are not affecting the original content of the signal. However, they make the process of postfiltering much easier. And also asynchronus upsampling helps reduce jitter (which tends to harden the high frequencies). the difference is definitely audible as a smoother, more natural, less harsh sound (what I described with the word "organic" in my previous post). And it is as closer you can get to the sound you will get from a high rez master.

Now, if you want you can agree, and if not, you are free to disagree. Other than that, I have much more important things to do than trying to gather data to support what I said on any further data cataclysmic responses of yours… "A man who knows how much he knows, knows how little he knows".

I do my own recording (analog acoustic guitar and vocals along with electric guitar and synthesizers as well) with Logic Pro and a FW audio interface driving $2k a pair ribbon speakers (same ones used in $50k Genesis II speakers) with a custom active crossover and over 500 watts per channel combined between the two amplifiers. There is NO audible difference between outputting 24/96 and 16/44 using that system (and unlike your example, which doesn't . Lossy compression is another matter, but it has nothing to do with 24/96 versus 16/44.

If you want to demonstrate us your system and to show off your experience on listening music through expensive equipment, that's my main sound system. Maybe not as tall as your genesis imitations, just the 1m cable that connects the dac to preamplifier though, Kimber Select 1036 costs $2,5k and the speakers $30k... And I CAN hear difference..

workinggw.png

Last edited:

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Wow.... I'm just happy in my cloth-eared bliss. Saves me money :D

(although I do appreciate a decent pair of speakers, usually Mission ;))

syc23

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
Not remotely bothered about what quality as long as Apple won't make tracks too expensive to purchase. In the UK, tracks cost anything from 99p to 59p which seems ok. Would lossless format at £1.99 appeal to the masses? Doubtful.

Going back to why I'm not bothered. You audiophiles may be able to hear the difference, I'm just happy that I can hear at all as I'm deaf in one ear so many people are not so lucky :eek:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
You are an ignorant. Have a reading here and stop spreading archaic opinions:
http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/3382-world_beyond_20khz.pdf

So you send me what is basically an advertisement for audio gear that attempts to justify itself with a bunch of pseudo-scientific claims (I don't see one quote/credit for any 'study' the pre-amble supposes the claims are based on.). Brick filters are not used just above 20kHz. With oversampling, they're used magnitudes higher so it's nice and smooth along the filter's frequency response and then downsampled once again to produce alias and distortion free results straight to 22kHz.

Now IF humans could hear even by-products of that process, it would show up in a double-blind test and be easily demonstrated and repeatable. I don't see any proof in that paper's assertions that the claims made are correct. If you can hear it, you can pick out the signal. It really is that simple.

There's also the question of usable music content in that range. There is very little above 20kHz and certainly almost none above 48kHz (i.e. trying to show that 192kHz sampling is even recording anything musical, let alone the gear reproducing it accurately is another matter). Transient dynamic range can be measured. There is some content out there that has more than 16-bits of dynamic range, but it is very far and few between (almost non-existent in pop music, for example). Certainly, anything beyond 18-bits is purely for headroom recording purposes. There's then the matter of whether you're even getting the 18-bits during playback because the volume needs to be loud enough to actually reproduce it or it gets lost in the noise floor. Again, there are very few circumstances where this will matter much, but there is at least the possibility that 18-bits of dynamic range may be useful for a select few recordings during playback.

If you want to demonstrate us your system and to show off your experience on listening music through expensive equipment, that's my main sound system. Maybe not as tall as your genesis imitations, just the 1m cable that connects the dac to preamplifier though, Kimber Select 1036 costs $2,5k and the speakers $30k... And I CAN hear difference..

I personally would never spend any 'significant' money on a cable. High-end cabling is pure snake-oil, IMHO (your mileage or satisfaction thereof may vary). As for your speakers, I haven't heard them so I cannot comment nor can I comment on subjective claims that have not been proven. All I can say is that if you can hear these differences, you can certainly demonstrate them in a double blind test. Over the years, I have seen many tests that show people cannot hear the differences they claim and very few that can (and never within those confines of 24/96).

If your gear makes you happy, that's great. But when people make extraordinary claims about 24/96 and above, I'd like to see some actual proof to back it up, not upsampling claims made on cheap op-amp headphone outputs on a notebook computer or an advertisement for a designer of audio gear trying to distinguish his equipment from everyone else's equipment.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land

Nice stuff. Can I ask what music you listen to? Classical, rock, etc? And where do you source 94/24 recordings?

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Nietzsche said in his "For the future of our educational institutions" that our civilisation suffer from a worshiping in science, creating uncultured scientists and cold rationalists.

I personally would never spend any 'significant' money on a cable. High-end cabling is pure snake-oil, IMHO (your mileage or satisfaction thereof may vary).

Do you think that I am SUCH an idiot to spend a months wage for this cable if I wasn't first 100% sure after repeated and exhausting listening and under the shade of the cable snake oil myth spread everywhere in the anti-audiophile cult that it definitely improves the sound quality? You rationalists are living in a world of numbers, tested by flawed equipment and you don't trust your OWN ears..

Now IF humans could hear even by-products of that process, it would show up in a double-blind test and be easily demonstrated and repeatable. I don't see any proof in that paper's assertions that the claims made are correct. If you can hear it, you can pick out the signal. It really is that simple.

I am not even touching the most stupid thing you could ever suggest: the double blind tests. When the difference is 1% on the sound quality and you get a bunch of untrained ears to listen and search for the difference under a controlled environment, do I need to point that the failure rate of these tests lean more on the side of NOT hearing the difference rather than hearing it? Double blind tests are not panacea for sound testing. Read this lengthy article and see why:
http://www.stereophile.com/features/141/index.html

From the above link:
subtler characteristics may be harder to identify with the comparator, especially given the habitual rapid switching that the device seems to encourage. While it's true that it can be used for long-term blind testing, no one seems to have the patience. Yet another interpretation of the first story is that the anxiety produced by listening to the unknown decreases the sensitivity of the listeners. That anxiety can raise sensory thresholds is well-proven.

These or other mechanisms may at any time, give a false negative result in a test for audibility. I can never disprove the existence of sonic characteristics that for some reason don't show up in a double-blind test. But some differences, including many that seem quite subtle, do show up in such trials. The distinction between the two kinds of characteristics is a useful one: I think those that do show up in double-blinds are more important, and more worth spending money on, than those that don't. Many people disagree; that's what keeps high-end audio alive.—E. Brad Meyer, Lincoln, MA

And to indulge your judicious instincts, here is a proof for my previous claim about 20Khz. Have a look on the famous: "Inaudible High-Frequency Sounds Affect Brain Activity: Hypersonic Effect"

http://jn.physiology.org/content/83/6/3548.full.pdf

Here you can satisfy your rationalistic hunger with an exaggerated amount of magnificent scientific proof.

Some times though, scientific methods can not apply in metering emotional enjoyment. For me is not possible to get a value for perfect sound without using my OWN ears as it is not possible to test the difference in quality between Mariage Freres tea and Tetley without using my own tongue. Or by testing the amount of love you feel for someone by studying a magnetoencephalography.

I leave you keep on with your journalistic factual posts and the cold rationalism. They will not change my poetic view of life and the enjoyment I get from my OWN choices even if you don't have the capacity to appreciate them.

Last edited:

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
I find that over-compressed audio identifies itself more by long-term weariness when listening to it, rather than clear short term effects.

That's what I believe too.. I cant agree more…

Nice stuff. Can I ask what music you listen to? Classical, rock, etc? And where do you source 94/24 recordings?

I listen to almost everything. I feed a Weiss Minerva DAC with firewire from my macbook pro running iTunes and Amarra. Most of my HD recordings are downloaded from https://www.hdtracks.com/

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Do you think that I am SUCH an idiot to spend a months wage for this cable if I wasn't first 100% sure after repeated and exhausting listening and under the shade of the cable snake oil myth spread everywhere in the anti-audiophile cult that it definitely improves the sound quality? You rationalists are living in a world of numbers, tested by flawed equipment and you don't trust your OWN ears..

How would I know if you're an idiot or not? I don't know you from Job. :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is that "audiophiles" spend unbelievable amounts of money on unproven, unscientific and sometimes downright strange devices that usually cost a small fortune. Surely, you are aware of such oddities in the past like the 'green pen' on CDs tweak. I used to follow Stereophile and Rec.audio.high-end once upon a time when the WWW was still new and shiny and it was a total hoot watching people argue and argue about how effective green pens, Shatki stones (imagine paying money for stones to set under your gear...just do a search on Google; they're still sold today ;) ), burn-in time for cables (got to align those electron patterns so they're more musical :rolleyes: ), etc.

Here's a quote regarding CD pens I dug up:

Sam Tellig, writer for Stereophile, a high-end audio magazine: ``I get a great deal of
satisfaction in showing that these tweaks take the `perfect-sound-forever medium' and make
it a little more perfect.''

Stereophile runs a number of home remedies through a battery of tests in its April issue.
The results: No consistently measurable differences in data retrieval between treated and
untreated discs. But the tester heard a difference.

Yes, they heard a difference. There's no theory, rationale or measurable proof that marking the edge of a CD with a green marker does a darn thing, but they HEARD a difference, so it MUST be real. :rolleyes:

Sorry, you can call me closed-minded, old-fashioned or even an idiot, but spending thousands on cable is like throwing your money down the toilet and flushing it, IMO. :p

Don't get angry. You sound much maligned and defensive about spending thousands on a $5 piece of insulated copper. It's OK. The Magic is still there. You just have to really believe it (so the placebo effect will kick in; it is a real effect, BTW).

I've got some markers I can sell you. Only $499 each. They WILL improve your listening experience. Pay no attention to the scratches on the side. That isn't the word Crayola scratched off. Those are are (patent-pending) Bologned groove marks and if you place them under your listening chair, they bring all the positive spiritual energy trapped in the recorded music to your ears instead of letting them flow out the nearest window. ;)

I am not even touching the most stupid thing you could ever suggest: the double blind tests.

Yes, scientific testing is 'stupid'. It's much better to use black magic. :D

When the difference is 1% on the sound quality and you get a bunch of untrained ears to listen and search for the difference under a controlled

Untrained ears? I was suggesting that YOU do the test! Are your ears untrained? I've seen the most distinguished (if you can call them that) people from Stereophile who regularly listen to the most expensive gear known to man utterly FAIL to tell a single difference between a cheap Carver amplifier (hand modified "TFM" by Bob Carver) and a $12k Conrad-Johnson Premier Five (one of the most highly regarded amps of the day). (Wikipedia has an article on this you can read, if you'd like. I'm sure there's plenty of other sources out there. it was a big deal at the time).

Of course, when the Carver TFM series came out (I own one BTW; it's still running fine 16 years later as is my 26 year old Yamaha sliding-class A/AB I picked up used 14 years ago when I went to bi-amp with an active crossover), Stereophile panned the series, panned Bob's speakers and generally refused to review his equipment (and would often make snide remarks in various articles). The truth is their advertisers were royally upset that their gear was ever even suggested to be overpriced and over-hyped. Bob's Sunfire remains one of the premier best bang-for-the-buck load-independent (it couldn't care less about highly reactive loads) amplifiers ever made (especially for its time).

environment, do I need to point that the failure rate of these tests lean more on the side of NOT hearing the difference rather than hearing it? Double

A double blind test cannot prove a negative. It can only prove a positive. I don't see that as a failure. It's simply science. I cannot prove God exists or doesn't exist through science, for example.

Double blind tests can, however, disprove individual claims that they can hear differences. Obviously, if you can do no better than 50/50 on average, you're not hearing a darn thing. And you can add 'brain effects' or whatever you want onto them because if you HEAR or FEEL a difference with the 'better' system, it WILL show up on the test. It's not hard, after all. Double-blind simply means the test giver and the person being tested have NO IDEA during the test which equipment is which (to avoid sending clues). You can take as little or as much time as you want to 'prove' a claim. You could listen for a month before giving your first result (I've seen it claimed that time ruins the test; but time isn't in the test).

In other words, all I'm seeing from you is excuses why you spent a small fortune on an audio system when you could have had a nice car or something instead. I mean who are you trying to convince? I'm perfectly happy with my audio system. It was closer to $5k than 30k; the same for the home theater (including the projector).

blind tests are not panacea for sound testing. Read this lengthy article and see why:
http://www.stereophile.com/features/141/index.html

:D

Quoting Stereophile as proof for the non-validity of double-blind tests is like quoting the Oil companies about the safety of eating shrimp soaked with their oil off the Gulf Coast.... :rolleyes:

It is Stereophile's business to sell magazine advertising to high-end audio gear companies. Unlike Time or some other rag, their advertisers are directly related to the equipment they are reviewing and thus there is a huge conflict of interest there. As to whether they actually believe some of the things they've said before, I couldn't rightly say. I know they have zero credibility with me at this point.

I leave you keep on with your journalistic factual posts and the cold rationalism. They will not change my poetic view of life and the enjoyment I get from my OWN choices even if you don't have the capacity to appreciate them.

Unfortunately, poetry is not scientific and doesn't prove anything. Enjoy your stereo. I tell Bose owners the same thing. I believe they paid way too much for what they got, but if they enjoy it, so what? As another example in another area, I wouldn't buy Jose Cuervo tequila either. It's way overpriced for the quality (their regular gold charges for food coloring and costs about the same price as a Sauza anejo that is the real deal) and thus you're paying for a brand name, not good quality. But if someone loves Cuervo, more power to them. There's no accounting to taste, after all. It's largely subjective anyway. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

I'm hardly immune to such effects, myself. It's especially difficult if don't have the engineering background (I was just starting college when I got into high-end audio; my degrees are in electronic engineering so I'd like to think I've learned a few things since then). There are huge differences out there and not everyone has the time to go out and listen to everything and judge for themselves. People read Stereophile and assume these guys must know what's best. Certainly, most of the gear they recommend sound great. It's just a question of whether "A+" is actually better than "A-" or even "B+" in some cases or whether that's to keep the advertisers happy. I mean my new WRX is rated for 265HP at the crank, but that's BS as well. It's closer to 300HP, but advertising that would put a dent in the STI sales (despite its superior transmission, suspension, etc.) so they underrate it.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Don't get angry. You sound much maligned and defensive about spending thousands on a $5 piece of insulated copper. It's OK. The Magic is still there. You just have to really believe it (so the placebo effect will kick in; it is a real effect, BTW).

These thousand dollar pieces of wire are interesting when placed in the context of the sort of gear used by musicians when actually creating a recording.

Guitar signals go through dozens of effects pedals, often containing consumer grade op-amps and all hooked up with cheap-ass cable. Overdrive and distortion pedals contain 'hard clipping' diodes in the signal path. Each pedal is capacitor-coupled, often using consumer grade capacitors, with input and output low-pass filters to stop RF breakthrough. Amp recordings are often made using the ubiqutous $100 Shure SM57 dynamic mic - before passing through limiters, compressors, a whole slew more op-amps in the desk before being digitised.

Mixing will be done in the DAW, or bounced out to a summing mixer (more op-amps, and 2 stages more DtoA, AtoD). Each instrument will be aggressively equalised - in order to stop muddiness and create space in the mix. Presence and edginess will be added to selected stems using an 'audio exciter' - through the creation of extra harmonic distortion. Then the whole lot will be mastered and compressed to death - often with some digital clipping.

Against this backdrop, special cables are a nonsense.

When I started playing the guitar, I ended up abandoning 'audiophile' audio for two reasons:
- Nothing sounds better than being in the same room as a real instrument (guitar in my case), played through a real amp. Nothing - no matter how high end can reproduce that.
- Recording is a practical engineering activity, using a whole heap of gear and circuits that would make an audiophile scream. Once you know this, you'll never regard 'oxygen free copper' in the same way again.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
@mag
Well, you know, I have better things to do rather than trying to respond to every single post of yours to prove my point of view. You are not the only educated here.. I have a PhD in psychology and as you are able to provide us details and details of why everything that is not proven scientifically is crap, I am convinced that you as a person are not going to change your believes and attitude after another post.. I can find you further scientific proof for your the inefficiency of your blind tests but I don't think is wise spending more effort in this thread anymore. I just ignore you then from now and on and put an x to your comments with my magic audiophile green marker that makes everything more quiet ! :p (by the way all these are indeed crap and these devices were in the end the reason that audiophiles have got such a bad reputation)

@fres:
The fact that you have been to indie recording with your guitar and you have been trained in a world of crappy recording equipment doesn't mean that there are not companies out there that are indeed using much better equipment than the one you are using. And I agree that even big recording companies are using crappy equipment for mainstream music. Companies though like Chesky, TELLARC and Harmonia Mundi are prominent for the quality of the equipment they are using. It is then that a high quality cable can do the difference. Not when you are listening e.g. to Rihana screaming "disturbia". And in the end listening through an expensive cable is a personal choice. You shouldn't have any problem with that, as far as I don't judge the amount of satisfaction you get with what you are listening and on what equipment. By saying that "special cables are a nonsense" after what I wrote, is clear that you are concerning my actions as nonsensical.

That's all for now, as I just woke up and cant think too much (Desperately need a caffeine fix)… I hope you have a nice day guys.. I really enjoyed our last 5-6 posts!!

Last edited:

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
@fres:
The fact that you have been to indie recording with your guitar and you have been trained in a world of crappy recording equipment doesn't mean that there are not companies out there that are indeed using much better equipment than the one you are using. And I agree that even big recording companies are using crappy equipment for mainstream music.

I'm not 'trained' in recording. The only thing I'm 'trained' in is electronics. My interest in recording is purely amateur - but I've read the 'classic recording' articles in SoundOnSound for years. You should try learning a bit about techniques used in real recording studios - engineers are not afraid of limiting, compression and equalisation!

The classic overdriven sound of electric guitar does come from 'hard clipping' too! And electric guitars themselves are bandwidth limited! To fixate on cable sounds is to ignore the reality of even great recordings.

Companies though like Chesky, TELLARC and Harmonia Mundi are prominent for the quality of the equipment they are using. It is then that a high quality cable can do the difference. Not when you are listening e.g. to Rihana screaming "disturbia".

It saddens me that you're drawn to listening to test recordings over thousand dollar wires, rather than 'real music'. Music isn't about the very last nuance in tone - it's about emotional impact. Those that push the limits of music aren't the people making 'purist' recordings in studios which have a side business selling audiophile loudspeakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.