Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weekendsrule32

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey
Hey,

I started this thread to see if others were having similar problems. I have an iPad 2 with a grey smart cover. I find that 1, it will not stay attatched flat to the back when I'm using the iPad and 2, the stand capability is questionable at best (falls off and/or over easily). Anyone else having these problems?

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
It definitely doesn't stay on the back cover without holding it in place - as far as I know that's by design, not a flaw in yours individually.

And yeah, I'd agree that it's not the most sturdy of stands - but again it's probably not intended to be.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Mine has never come off unless i pulled it off, and the stand seems quite rigid the magnet strength is very strong...

weekendsrule32

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey
It definitely doesn't stay on the back cover without holding it in place - as far as I know that's by design, not a flaw in yours individually.

And yeah, I'd agree that it's not the most sturdy of stands - but again it's probably not intended to be.

You may be right, it may not be designed to. But then that brings up another question. Why wasn't it? It just seemed natural to me to flip it over to the back when I opened it, and Apple's pretty big on making things feel right and work easily. If it's not a feature, then in my opinion someone at Apple messed up. Although, it does seem like it definitely tries to stick when I flip it back, but just doesn't have enough magnet power to.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Make sure you are folding it with the microfiber side out. If you fold it with the leather/poly side out, it doesn't stay up.

Peche1

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Don't get the smart cover!

Apple didn't think this one through. I love Apple products, but the smart cover for the ipad2 is flawed. Weekendsrule32 is right. The magnet is not strong enough plus, the cover doesn't function/fold correctly all the time. Mine will collapse in the middle of folding it open. Just happened again and when I tried to correct it, the cover came off and my iPad slid off the table, flipped over and landed flat on the floor on the glass face, breaking the lower right corner of the face. I am ticked! I wish I would have bought something more like the original iPad cover. Never had problems with it. Think twice about using one. If you do, take great care...

Cygnus311

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
I would have to agree. I came to start a new thread to show my pictures of splitting/tearing smart cove edge opposite the hinge side. Is anyone experiencing this? This iPad has nothing but gentle use by 2 adults and it hardly ever leaves the couch. There must be a glue in the edge that holds the two materials together which just isn't strong enough for basic handing and use of the cover. This thing is getting returned.

FtUBH.jpg

TP9S9.jpg

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Apple didn't think this one through. I love Apple products, but the smart cover for the ipad2 is flawed. Weekendsrule32 is right. The magnet is not strong enough plus, the cover doesn't function/fold correctly all the time. Mine will collapse in the middle of folding it open. Just happened again and when I tried to correct it, the cover came off and my iPad slid off the table, flipped over and landed flat on the floor on the glass face, breaking the lower right corner of the face. I am ticked! I wish I would have bought something more like the original iPad cover. Never had problems with it. Think twice about using one. If you do, take great care...

Or take it back ;)

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
They're definitely something you only buy if you've got the change to drop on style. If you're worried about the money/value you probably shouldn't bother with it.

Somebody mentioned it here already but it should be repeated, the stand is mainly stable with the microfiber side out (even though it technically can be rolled either way)

I've heard a couple people say theirs was splitting too, if it was me i'd just swap it out for another one or glue it myself. If it was like tearing or something then I'd just swap it.

I agree there should have been some kind of magnet in the back for it. the way people are folding it in half on the back, there should be a magnet right there. (so that it will be held back and the camera will still be available. )

However, I really don't understand why so many people (not necessarily the op) get so upset with these smart covers with comments like "it doesn't protect the back" and things like that. It's obvious it's a flap of fabric that doubles as a quick and easy stand. It's not an otterbox, it's not some perfect steel frame stand. It's a light/portable/simple cover / stand. If that's not what you're looking for then what's the point of buying it the first place? they're obviously not cheap.

(this isn't aimed at those having quality issues with the smart cover, just people who don't even understand what it is)

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I had to go through 3 smart covers before I found one of good quality - the first one I bought had black marks on the front that didnt come off (i thought they were dust at first) - and the 2nd one had a dent in the metal band. 3rd one's a charm.

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
You may be right, it may not be designed to. But then that brings up another question. Why wasn't it? It just seemed natural to me to flip it over to the back when I opened it, and Apple's pretty big on making things feel right and work easily. If it's not a feature, then in my opinion someone at Apple messed up. Although, it does seem like it definitely tries to stick when I flip it back, but just doesn't have enough magnet power to.

Just by the way, I wasn't meaning to imply 'it's by design and I think that's wonderful'. I much prefer a case that can be folded back while in use, that I don't have to hold in place. This really is just a cover, rather than a case - and I'm looking forward to seeing more 3rd party, full-protection cases that use the smart cover tech.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
If you people do not like, just return it for a refund or replacement. I am pretty happy with my black leather cover. It does all I could expect it to do :apple:

Domdog31

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Only complaint I have is it leaves rows of dust on the screen in the shape of the folds that the cover is designed. It also has left tiny rub marks on the back of the iPad on the metal that rub off but still are there.

mjcorbs

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Case collapse

Mine just folds back on it's self and falls over if you touch the screen while it's free standing, it's going back.. can't wait for the look of disdain on the apple clone's face when i tell them a genuine apple product is actually fairly flawed, it should also cling to the back when you flip it round, i'm forever just taking mine off then putting it back on again.. pointless.. original cover was way better

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
i'm forever just taking mine off then putting it back on again.. pointless.. original cover was way better

um, I don't mean to be rude, but isn't that entire point? You put it on when you're using it, and when you're not you can easily take it off and use the iPad in charging docks and things like that.

DTMEDIC

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Virginia
My Smart Cover is NOT Secure After 30 Days

I have had my iPad 2 and smart cover for about 30 days now. I am disappointed in the smart cover as it no longer seems to hold the cover securely when closed. I have actually had the cover slip off when removing from my tote bag, slip off when holding as a reader...each time caused the iPad to fall...thankfully NOT onto a surface that caused it to break. Last night I took it to a meeting, and noticed that it was not always turning the iPad off when cover was closed without realigning/ giving it a gentle push. Needless to say I am purchasing a diffent cover...but was wondering if anyone has noticed this problem over time.
:mad:

Last edited:

Jimjoke

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Back cover

If you want the Smart cover, best buy sells a great back cover case that has a magnet to hold the cover to the back, great design and protects it well....brand name,,.incase.,,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.